Former #Ticats OC Condell Argos new Special Advisor

Re: Former #Ticats OC Condell Argos new Special Advisor

by seymour » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Grover wrote:True it was on Austin to try and foresee that coming, but I think he was going for a Championship the previous year after back to back Grey Cup appearences

Yes, 2015 was probably Hamilton's best opportunity to win a Grey Cup. Kent Austin squandered that opportunity by failing to ensure that a game-ready, capable back-up QB was available in case Collaros went down.
All-Star

by 2ez » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:57 am

guelphcatsfan wrote:It hasnt been the same team since Condell left.

If it was a family issue (as was said at the time) presumably the issue is resolved if Condell is returning to football. So then why aren't the Cats welcoming him back?

Based on that sequence of events there was eiher a problem at the time between Condell and the Cats organization or there is now.

That's the fun part, apparently he was blocked from joining the Argos last season, so whatever the issue was, it must have been resolved a long time ago if that nugget of info is true. The tweet is somewhere earlier in the thread.

If it wasn't for that tweet, I probably wouldn't think to much into it, but IF it is true, then it's pretty obvious that there was a falling out between Condell and the organization somewhere along the line of command.

I hope he becomes the head coach, it'd be good for the rivalry.
Starter

by bobo82 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 am

The thing that doesn't make any sense is the fact that if Condell is indeed named eventually as the new HC of the Boat Anchors then why wasn't he just named as the HC in the first place ? Why all the BS about him being named some sort of a Special Advisor (Whatever the Hell that is :roll: ) in the first place ? Personally I agree with a lot of people in here in saying Let him go to the Argos . Hey if Tommy wants to jump to a sinking ship then have at it and good luck to him. If anything it will make the rivalry between the two teams all the more interesting with Austin on one side and Condell on the other . All I do know is that the Anchors better get off their collective butts soon and announce just who they have lined up ( if they do indeed have anybody lined up ) as GM and HC or poor old Tommy won't have anybody to advise to anyway. :cowboy:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by safetyblitz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:04 am

bobo82 wrote:The thing that doesn't make any sense is the fact that if Condell is indeed named eventually as the new HC of the Boat Anchors then why wasn't he just named as the HC in the first place ? Why all the BS about him being named some sort of a Special Advisor (Whatever the Hell that is :roll: ) in the first place ?

It's related to the reason Milanovich left: the Argos currently have no GM, and the GM makes the call on who the head coach will be. By hiring Condell now, the Argos at least have someone under contract they can delegate some of the senior football ops duties to without making any implied promises to the assistant coaches. If the eventual GM decides to make Condell HC, they've lost nothing by leaving the final decision until then.
All-Star

by seymour » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

safetyblitz wrote:It's related to the reason Milanovich left: the Argos currently have no GM, and the GM makes the call on who the head coach will be. By hiring Condell now, the Argos at least have someone under contract they can delegate some of the senior football ops duties to without making any implied promises to the assistant coaches. If the eventual GM decides to make Condell HC, they've lost nothing by leaving the final decision until then.

You've nailed it!
All-Star

by Grover » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Also The newly appointed Asst GM Spencer Zimmerman(who was just awarded the Job the Day that Barker was let go) has ties to Condell as he worked with Condell on the TiCats for 3 years before becoming the TOR Head scout last season.
Perhaps Zimmerman asked Copeland to hire Condell as an advisor.
5 years ago Zimmerman was an unpaid intern for the TiCats, he has come a long way in a very short time!
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by PatLynch » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 am

The Spencer Zimmerman story is very much like the rise of Alex Anthopoulos with the Blue Jays. Alex graduated from McMaster while Spencer attended Waterloo University. Both are bright, young Canadian leaders in sport. One was replaced by a moron from the Cleveland Indians. Double A is now with the L A Dodgers while Spencer's story is still being written.

For those that think that Canadians can't do the job, you can add U of Guelph grad Tom Dimitroff of the Atlanta Falcons to the list of bright, young, Canadian managerial talent. Tom was born in Ohio but grew up in Canada. His dad, of course, played Qb for the Ottawa Rough Riders and later was a CFL coach. :D :D :D

Pat Lynch(the old guy)
All-Star

by mr62cats » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 am

seymour wrote:
safetyblitz wrote:It's related to the reason Milanovich left: the Argos currently have no GM, and the GM makes the call on who the head coach will be. By hiring Condell now, the Argos at least have someone under contract they can delegate some of the senior football ops duties to without making any implied promises to the assistant coaches. If the eventual GM decides to make Condell HC, they've lost nothing by leaving the final decision until then.

You've nailed it!

seymour: How do you know he has "nailed it"? Do you have a source?
All-Star

by Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm guessing "nailed it" in the same way that I almost posted the same thing. No definitive source but it makes sense based on historical patterns of sport operations. Has the strong 'feel' of likelihood about it.
All-Star

by seymour » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:52 pm

Mark wrote:I'm guessing "nailed it" in the same way that I almost posted the same thing. No definitive source but it makes sense based on historical patterns of sport operations. Has the strong 'feel' of likelihood about it.

Precisely....... you've nailed it! :D
All-Star

by mr62cats » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

seymour wrote:
Mark wrote:I'm guessing "nailed it" in the same way that I almost posted the same thing. No definitive source but it makes sense based on historical patterns of sport operations. Has the strong 'feel' of likelihood about it.

seymour. You "nailed" an unsubstantiated rumour? Now this is convoluted logic for sure. :roll:
All-Star

by mr62cats » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:26 pm

mr62cats wrote:
seymour wrote:

seymour. You "nailed" an unsubstantiated rumour? Congratulations!
Now this is convoluted logic. :roll:
All-Star

by seymour » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm

mr62cats wrote:seymour. You "nailed" an unsubstantiated rumour? Now this is convoluted logic for sure

Exactly what part of the poster's statement below is considered "rumour" in your world?

safetyblitz wrote:
...the Argos currently have no GM, and the GM makes the call on who the head coach will be. By hiring Condell now, the Argos at least have someone under contract they can delegate some of the senior football ops duties to without making any implied promises to the assistant coaches. If the eventual GM decides to make Condell HC, they've lost nothing by leaving the final decision until then.
All-Star

by mr62cats » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 pm

According to Drew...it looks like Tom Clements could be under consideration for HC and/or GM's job with the Blue Team.
All-Star

by Palmer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 am

mr62cats wrote:According to Drew...it looks like Tom Clements could be under consideration for HC and/or GM's job with the Blue Team.

Tom Clements? Now there is a name from the past! Didn't know he was still in football. Will have to Google him.
Veteran

PreviousNext