Former #Ticats OC Condell Argos new Special Advisor

Re: Former #Ticats OC Condell Argos new Special Advisor

by seymour » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 pm

mr62cats wrote: I added GM thinking that if he would be advising Copeland on a Head Coach hire, it would be a "funny way of doing things" if he was in a "holding pattern" for the lower position of OC.

I defer to the rather convoluted logic by the poster from Peterborough. :D
All-Star

by hendy77 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm

You missed the lady with the umbrella.
THIS…is our year.
All-Star

by 2ez » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:04 am

All I will say is there are so many storylines and issues behind the scenes that never make the light of day, and that's the way teams like it, don't let the media speak fool you. If you don't think there was some type of rift then you're not using your brain. OC don't just leave with training camp six weeks away ... I am also an Avalanche fan, and same type of thing happened with Roy right before season began, and it was a badly kept secret that it was because Roy and Sakic were butting heads. **** happens, it just interests me from outside looking in. Condell's departure was very strange and the fact that he joins the Argos a year later is even stranger, but this possibly sheds some light on what actually happened last year. I am sure if you asked Austin, he'd say he had personal issues with his family and made a business decision to join the Argos, but still doesn't mean I have to believe him.

Still want to know who he is advising more than anything lol Argos are in a bad place right now, their logic metre is broken

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I think it was likely a business related rift, and I imagine Austin and Condell are still friends considering how long they were together, but as I've said, it is just strange.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:54 am

2ez wrote: I imagine Austin and Condell are still friends considering how long they were together, but as I've said, it is just strange.

I imagine they are not friends and he wanted out, Austin is autocratic and wants to run everything himself. He doesn't need an OC
All-Star

by bobo82 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Well read into it what you will but here's a very interesting tweet from former Cat Bakari Grant who was not re-signed by Austin and left in FA after the 2015 season. You could read into it a number of ways but to me it looks like a backwards slam on Austin and a bigger respect for Condell all around by Grant as both a coach and as a human being.

BG
@ BGrant84

Great teams start with building the right culture...great pick up by
the
@TorontoArgosgreat coach,better man !
twitter.com/scratchingpost...
9:22 PM - 27 Jan 2017
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:28 pm

bobo82 wrote:Well read into it what you will but here's a very interesting tweet from former Cat Bakari Grant who was not re-signed by Austin and left in FA after the 2015 season. You could read into it a number of ways but to me it looks like a backwards slam on Austin and a bigger respect for Condell all around by Grant as both a coach and as a human being.

BG
@ BGrant84

the

bobo, How can you see a backwards slam on Austin in that???
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Yeah, that doesn't look like an attack on Austin at all, just an expression of the respect Grant has for Condell.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by bobo82 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Yeah, that doesn't look like an attack on Austin at all, just an expression of the respect Grant has for Condell.
Grover wrote:
bobo82 wrote:Well read into it what you will but here's a very interesting tweet from former Cat Bakari Grant who was not re-signed by Austin and left in FA after the 2015 season. You could read into it a number of ways but to me it looks like a backwards slam on Austin and a bigger respect for Condell all around by Grant as both a coach and as a human being.

BG
@ BGrant84

the

bobo, How can you see a backwards slam on Austin in that???

Well like I said , you can read what you want into it and it can be interpreted in many ways , so being that it's totally up to one's own interpretation both Grover and D&P can read into it one way and others can read into it another totally different way. My interpretation could be totally wrong but I read "Great teams start with building the right culture" as Grant's way of saying that the Cats and Austin along with Condell were on the right track when it comes to building the right culture BUT that culture took a big hit last year after Austin allowed so many key players (including Bakari ) to walk away in FA and then it was further eroded when Condell pulled up stakes and suddenly left the team.

Personally I think that while certain players won't say it publicly I think that a lot of them were upset with Condell's sudden resignation last year and I think that perhaps there were certain players that had a greater respect for Condell as a coach than they had for Austin as a HC.

Like others have said about this situation , there's more to this than meets the eye. I think it's rather obvious that somebody is not telling the whole truth here about the sudden divorce between Austin and Condell last year and now the sudden marriage between Condell and the Argos this year.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:50 pm

I guess you could say he let them walk, but The TiCats had 37 Free Agents to try and sign, by far the most in the League.
It was impossible to re-sign everyone.
Sure Condell and Austin no doubt had a spat, everyone gets PO'ed at their boss or upset with their job, but Condell quit.
Quit on the Team, the Players and the Fans. He had a contract to fulfill and bailed on it, leaving everyone in a horrible predicament including himself.
You don't build culture with quitters!

BTW - there will be big turnover again this year as we have 26 FA's (most in the League again) and Collaros new contract kicks in. :(
All-Star

by seymour » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Grover wrote:...but The TiCats had 37 Free Agents to try and sign, by far the most in the League.
Including big ticket CDN's Laurent, Stephens, Fantuz, It was impossible to re-sign everyone.

Who placed the team in the precarious and untenable position whereby this excessive number of players (by far the most in the league) would all become free agents at the same time?

Grover wrote:Sure Condell and Austin no doubt had a spat, everyone gets PO'ed at their boss or upset with their job, but Condell quit.
Quit on the Team, the Players and the Fans. He had a contract to fulfill and bailed on it, leaving everyone in a horrible predicament including himself.

You claim Condell "bailed" on the contract but there must have been a contractual obligation remaining between Condell and the Ti-Cats after he left. I don't think the Ti-Cats could have legally prevented Condell from earning a living by accepting a job with another team unless the team was still paying him or some sort of alternate settlement had been reached by mutual agreement.

Considering the length of time Austin and Condell had worked together, this was no "spat". IMO, there had to be a serious failure of the relationship (such as a refusal to honour a promise or commitment) that made it impossible for the two to continue "under the same roof".
All-Star

by BIGCAT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Oh well Tommy is gone, has been now for a full season and obviously moved on if just down the road to Toronto and the Arblows, we wish him all the best in his new role and look forward to kicking the Blew Teams butt this season!!

GO CATS GO!!!
All-Star

by stevehvh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Interesting turn of events. I have no idea how it all came about or what reasons there may have been for Tommy C's departure, or his absence from football afterwards, or his joining the Argos now. Nor have I any idea what future role he may play with them, or with any other team.

Funny how things go. When he came to Hamilton some people didn't care for it... he was just a "crony" of Austin who didn't know the CFL. Now, to some he's a victim of some sort of nasty machinations by Austin. Some think Orlondo S was treated badly/ betrayed/ shafted too. There could be some "alternative facts" involved in all of this, but no one really knows the truth of it except those directly involved.

I figure it's an organization like any other; some people leave, some people stay, new ones arrive. I wish him well in his new endeavour-- the Argos sure need good help.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by Grover » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:01 pm

seymour wrote:
Who placed the team in the precarious and untenable position whereby this excessive number of players (by far the most in the league) would all become free agents at the same time?

2016 was the 2nd year of the new CBA where the club option year in all contracts had all expired.
True it was on Austin to try and foresee that coming, but I think he was going for a Championship the previous year after back to back Grey Cup appearences
All-Star

by mr62cats » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Reading all of our speculation is fascinating. But I'll bet the players (and their friends) who are still around know what happened. To me, Bakari's tweet smacked of innuendo towards Kent Austin.

Whether we find out what really happened or not, the rivalry between us and the Blue Team will take on some added meaning this season if Tommy Condell ends up as the HC. That's good for the fans of both teams.
Our rebuilding efforts appear to be stuck in neutral because of injuries and poor scouting so I am not too optimistic yet about this coming season.

Maybe Condell will have better luck with the Blue team. I watched him many times at practices and enjoyed seeing him firing up the players...all of whom are way taller than him. Heck...even Natalie from CHCH TV was taller. :)
All-Star

by guelphcatsfan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

It hasnt been the same team since Condell left.

If it was a family issue (as was said at the time) presumably the issue is resolved if Condell is returning to football. So then why aren't the Cats welcoming him back?

Based on that sequence of events there was eiher a problem at the time between Condell and the Cats organization or there is now.
Starter

PreviousNext