Who is your top free agent wish for the Cats?

Re: Who is your top free agent wish for the Cats?

by ottawacat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

This story might somewhat temper the excitement regarding the possibility, to perhaps likelihood, that Sinkfield will be back with the Cats. The picture it paints appears to me, to be one where he'll be very disappointed if that happens.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/15/ex ... tay-in-nfl
All-Star

by Palmer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:40 pm

ottawacat wrote:This story might somewhat temper the excitement regarding the possibility, to perhaps likelihood, that Sinkfield will be back with the Cats. The picture it paints appears to me, to be one where he'll be very disappointed if that happens.

I've heard it said that an "average" level NFL player might earn as much in the NFL during training camp and in the exhibition season as he can by playing an entire CFL season. If that's true, it is probably financially worth Sinkfield's efforts to stick around an NFL team for as long as he can, regardless of position. Plus, who knows if another team may need a receiver to back-up for an injury? A wise gamble IMO.

But, having said that, I do remember that it was Austin and the Cats who revived his career after TO, and stuck with him despite his showboating for the first few games, especially the Argo game. I hope that loyalty works both ways.
Veteran

by Grover » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm

ottawacat wrote:This story might somewhat temper the excitement regarding the possibility, to perhaps likelihood, that Sinkfield will be back with the Cats. The picture it paints appears to me, to be one where he'll be very disappointed if that happens.

IMHO,My interpretation of this is
Sink has a contract with HAM but has a window until April to sign an NFL contract, If signed and cut, his contract with HAM would still be valid.

"Receiver Terrell Sinkfield has reportedly agreed to a contract in principle to return to the Ticats but has until April to take advantage an NFL opportunity, should one materialize."

If he makes an NFL team I would be very happy for him!
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by stevehvh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Grover wrote:

IMHO,My interpretation of this is
Sink has a contract with HAM but has a window until April to sign an NFL contract, If signed and cut, his contract with HAM would still be valid.

"Receiver Terrell Sinkfield has reportedly agreed to a contract in principle to return to the Ticats but has until April to take advantage an NFL opportunity, should one materialize."

If he makes an NFL team I would be very happy for him!

Hmmm.. this makes me wonder what the "in principle" in this statement means.

All depends what the document (if there is one) actually says.

If it's a genuine contract, but is conditional on him failing to make the NFL by April, that sounds like it would be valid as of the date in question if the condition is met.

If it's a handshake, or a "phone call handshake" with the agent, or some other kind of "gentleman's agreement", that wouldn't pass muster with the CFL office (remember the Chris Williams imbroglio), and sounds like it would not be a binding contract at all, but rather an expression of intent based on mutual good faith. If he doesn't make it in the NFL (and good for him if he does), then I hope it works out as apparently planned.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by FenderGuy69 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 am

Palmer wrote:I've heard it said that an "average" level NFL player might earn as much in the NFL during training camp and in the exhibition season as he can by playing an entire CFL season. If that's true, it is probably financially worth Sinkfield's efforts to stick around an NFL team for as long as he can, regardless of position. Plus, who knows if another team may need a receiver to back-up for an injury? A wise gamble IMO.

I understand the point you're trying to make and if we were talking Practice Roster compensation, you'd be correct. However;

NFL Training Camp compensation for 1st year players is $1,075 USD per week. For players of 1 year or more ... $1,900. Camp is 3 weeks. So roughly $3K for rookies and $5.7K for vets. Room & Board is covered during camp. All travel to and from. But that's it. There is/are no "game" cheques for pre-season games. It's part of your camp compensation.

Practice Roster/Squad compensation for a full 17 weeks of the season would amount to $117,300. I believe that's the figure to which you're referring.
All-Star

by Palmer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks fenderguy. That makes it much clearer.
Veteran

by Tipper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

8) If Sinkfield only has a verbal agreement with the Cats, and NO signed contract with Hamilton, then he is still a free agent
and can go where ever he wants !! If he had signed a new contract with Hamilton, then he could not sign a contract
with an NFL team, or anybody else for that matter, Unless you want to go back to the Chris Williams fiasco !!

His so called, verbal agreement with Hamilton means squat as far as him signing where ever he wants to play !!

If he doesn't sign in the NFL, then he can still sign where ever he wants to !!

We will see where his loyality and his word go as far as this whole scenario unfolds !! :roll: :roll:
All-Star

by FenderGuy69 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Tipper wrote:8) If Sinkfield only has a verbal agreement with the Cats, and NO signed contract with Hamilton, then he is still a free agent
and can go where ever he wants !! If he had signed a new contract with Hamilton, then he could not sign a contract
with an NFL team, or anybody else for that matter, Unless you want to go back to the Chris Williams fiasco !!

His so called, verbal agreement with Hamilton means squat as far as him signing where ever he wants to play !!

We will see where his loyality and his word go as far as this whole scenario unfolds !! :roll: :roll:

There may be some ways of formalizing such an agreement. This article on the Adam Bighill situation gives some insight. Not saying the situations are 100% similar, but interesting all the same.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/09/lions-rele ... own-south/
All-Star

by PatLynch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 am

Fenderguy makes a good point regarding Adam Bighill. Also, there may still be people out there whose handshake is their bond. Yogi Berra should have said that" a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's printed on", instead of that Samuel Goldwyn fellow who never really saw the big picture. :lol:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 am

Tipper wrote:8) If Sinkfield only has a verbal agreement with the Cats, and NO signed contract with Hamilton, then he is still a free agent

You are correct, everyone is jumping to the conclusion that because he tweeted a gif that looked like a tiger and that he said .......... ....."if not a shield then.........." the tiger gif with a smiley". That means nothing.
If he can't make it as a receiver or punt returner he is going to try as a DB, if that doesn't work his agent will take the highest offer in the CFL.
All-Star

by Palmer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 am

Maybe it is simpler, for instance, perhaps the Cats and Sinkfield have a written agreement basically giving the Cats a "right of first refusal" or the "right to match" another offer. I'm sure there are other options to just a blank standard players contract, even if in the form of an addendum?

Sort of like the giving of an engagement ring as a promise of the wedding contract :) .
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Palmer wrote:Maybe it is simpler, for instance, perhaps the Cats and Sinkfield have a written agreement basically giving the Cats a "right of first refusal" or the "right to match" another offer. I'm sure there are other options to just a blank standard players contract, even if in the form of an addendum?

Sort of like the giving of an engagement ring as a promise of the wedding contract :) .

No, he's still listed on BC's free agent list
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 pm

It could be something as simple as the Cats and Sinkfield already having an agreement in principal and an agreed upon unsigned contract just waiting for a signature that is presently tucked away for the time being in a top drawer in Austin's desk in his office.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by stevehvh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm

bobo82 wrote:It could be something as simple as the Cats and Sinkfield already having an agreement in principal and an agreed upon unsigned contract just waiting for a signature that is presently tucked away for the time being in a top drawer in Austin's desk in his office.

That's true. If it is, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, unless both sides are of the Yogi Berra school when it comes to the worth of a handshake. I hope they are. If they aren't, that unsigned contract will remain unsigned.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by bobo82 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 pm

stevehvh wrote:
bobo82 wrote:It could be something as simple as the Cats and Sinkfield already having an agreement in principal and an agreed upon unsigned contract just waiting for a signature that is presently tucked away for the time being in a top drawer in Austin's desk in his office.

That's true. If it is, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, unless both sides are of the Yogi Berra school when it comes to the worth of a handshake. I hope they are. If they aren't, that unsigned contract will remain unsigned.

It's true , Sinkfield could do an abrupt about face on us and sign elsewhere but I honestly think that pretty well at this time that all the other teams(except perhaps Toronto) have blown their bolt in Free Agency spending already and are at or near their cap ceiling . Austin on the other hand has only signed one FA from elsewhere ( Kanneh ) and let a bunch of others walk away from last year.
Ya gotta figure that he still must have a little extra spending money available in the pardon the expression " Kitty" and has already allocated some of that money towards a hopefully future contract with Sinkfield's name on it .

The thing that does kinda scare and concern me though is that like I said above the only team left that might be able to afford and sign Sink is that one down the road in Blue.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

PreviousNext