Who is your top free agent wish for the Cats?

Re: Who is your top free agent wish for the Cats?

by stevehvh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Good points. I guess we'll see in a month or so. NFL is his preference for sure. If that doesn't work out, hopefully he'll be back in Hamilton and all will be well.

At this point, I'm more concerned to get a good kicker.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by bobo82 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 am

Anybody holding out hope of the Cats signing Alan - Michael Cash as a possible replacement for the departed Drake Nevis can forget it . Cash has signed with that team down the road from us and will be wearing Blue this year . .http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/23/argos-cash ... t-lineman/ ... It's looking more and more to me that the Cats will switch up their ratio this year and will likely be going with a Canadian contingent in the middle of the D-Line with Michael Atkinson replacing Nevis lining up beside Big Teddy at the Tackle spots this season .

I could be wrong but I can see the Cats starting 4 of their 7 Canadian starters this year on the Defensive side of the ball. It could allow for the possibility of great flexibility with different packages and schemes and rotation with
Laurent and Atkinson at Tackle and with Stephen at either CB or S and Butler at either S or SAM Lb . We also have Capiccotti as another capable Cdn in rotation at D-end . The other 3 Cdn starters on Offence would be in the interior of the O-Line with Filer at centre and Bomben and Revenberg at Guard.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Slomojo2005 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Just looking back to a thread from back in March. Are we still thinking that our O-line is set? Canadianfootballfan? Bobo82?
NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!!
Starter

by heapbag » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 pm

Slomojo2005 wrote:Just looking back to a thread from back in March. Are we still thinking that our O-line is set? Canadianfootballfan? Bobo82?
NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!!

At the time I really wanted us to nab Chris Van Zeyl from the Argos. I still stand by that. Would have cost a premium, but he has a good couple of years left in him.
Rookie

by bobo82 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am

Slomojo2005 wrote:Just looking back to a thread from back in March. Are we still thinking that our O-line is set? Canadianfootballfan? Bobo82?
NOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!!

Well if you look at my original prognosis for the O-Line from 4 months ago now , you will see that it was contingent on a healthy Jake Olson returning at Tackle and having stellar quality veteran back-ups such as Girard and Rice available for depth .
Unfortunately things haven't worked out as I had envisioned with the surprise retirements of both Girard and Olson . The problem is that the best the Cats could do as far as replacements for these two so far is a 23 yr old raw rookie in Swindle starting at RT and a swapped out former D-Lineman in Williams who spent his first two years here on the PR and up and till the opener in Toronto this year had never dressed in a regular season game before .

Now to be fair to Swindle this was his first game BUT we might as well as had a Black "n" Gold pylon out there for how badly he played and was schooled all afternoon by the likes of Lemon and the rest of Toronto's Defence .
Also you have to factor in Austin's absolute refusal to actually even attempt a run game. It basically spells disaster all around when the other team knows that the line is in pass protection mode 90% of the time with little to no threat of a rushing play , so basically it's just a matter of them teeing off , pinning their ears back and rushing our Q.B. all day long . We might as well not even bother dressing a RB for the game since we don't seem to use him anyway. We would probably be best suited just playing Prime on a regular basis as a hybrid FB slash TE for extra blocking protection or even insert Rice as a 6th Lineman in a TE set if all we're going to do is pass all game long .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by Grover » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am

Our RB that does not run and is essentially a blocking back did not have a very good game blocking last week.
Sure, Rookie Swindell was our weak link on the Oline and TOR exploited that big time but at that point Gable must help on that side and protect Collaros and I didn't really see that.
Next week, if SSK comes with their 3 man front like they did against MTL all game, we may have more success protecting Collaros
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Palmer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 am

I agree totally with Grover on this one. And I'm not being sarcastic, but I can't fathom the blocking schemes.

Our featured back is mainly for blocking, and his coach feels he is the best blocking back in the CFL. Yet our QBs are consistently hurried or hit. Last year it was Dyakowski's fault, this year it is Swindle's? Where the heck is Gable in this discussion. Can't run effectively, and, IMO highly over-rated as a consistent blocker.

Our FB is invisible on the field, or is standing on the sidelines. A big chunk of the formations are "empty backfields" and the opposition Just pins back their ears and sends 5 - 7 on the rush. We rarely throw a screen, hitch, or flat pattern, and the "Z" back is basically ignored. Five guys in coverage is enough and if the pass is made and complete, is usually under 15 yards, with rarely any YAC yards.

After watching the Ottawa/Calgary game last night, we are no where near that level of competition.

I love my Cats, and will be at every game cheering them on. But I am not expecting much from them this year. I can only hope I am mistaken and will be pleasantly surprised next week.
Veteran

by Philly_Canuck » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Gable is NOT used as a blocker once he determines there is no blitz coming...he then becomes an outlet receiver and is no longer available to help the O-line. One thing that we need to start doing, that I saw Calgary do last night with whatever RB was in the game, is use the back to "chip" on an end as he goes out on his pass pattern...that really slowed Ottawa's outside rush, and would help a Swindle as he learns his way around.

The other scheme they used towards the end of last year was to have Prime line up as a TE and stay into block...maybe next game
Rookie

Previous