Collaros

Collaros

by rockfish » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 pm

I love the guy, but he seems to not be the same Zach of just a couple years ago. Granted, he is running for his life most of the time. But, he's constantly throwing into coverage, his accuracy is questionable and many of his shorter throws have a low trajectory and are batted down at the line of scrimmage. Even that long catch by Saunders was sadly under thrown...if he was so far behind coverage, the ball would likely have been intercepted. Why not take Zach out for a series and insert Masoli for a change of pace and to give Zach a different perspective from the sidelines? Austin wasn't afraid of doing that in past years, why not this year?
Veteran

Re: Collaros

by ticats4242ticats » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I think part of it is wanting Zach to try and get into a rhythm.

So much of WEEK 1 & 2 was just running for his life (ahem. Swindle. ahem.) that he needs series multiple series to get his timing down. Don't lose hope quote yet, trust the system. Give them the rest of this year, that's what I'm doing. If they fail this year, reset the whole system.
Practice Squad

by Crash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 pm

rockfish wrote:Even that long catch by Saunders was sadly under thrown...if he was so far behind coverage, the ball would likely have been intercepted.

That ball travelled 61 yards in the air... and he got drilled when he threw it.
I'll give him a pass for that one.
All-Star

by Palmer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Crash wrote:
rockfish wrote:Even that long catch by Saunders was sadly under thrown...if he was so far behind coverage, the ball would likely have been intercepted.

I thought it was a great play. Happened right in front of us, and Saunders had to stop and wait for it (must have been about Zach's limit in fact), with two DBs bearing down on him. How often do you see the receiver blow it because he decides to have a quick look for the end zone, turns to run before securing the ball, or just plain drops those wide open shots? He just seemed to appear, all alone, Zach spotted him open and bingo, big play, big gain.

Kudos all around on that one, and a play that gave the Cats some life for the rest of the quarter and into the 2nd.
Veteran

by toddstattoo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

yes That ball travelled 61 yards in the air was a great play
Practice Squad

by blackandgld » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Crash wrote:

Zach gave that extra air to guarantee the catch rather than a regular throw that might have missed the mark
All-Star

by RiX » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am

If you watch his feet, he's jumping all over the place. Never gets them planted or settles down before he throws. It has to be hard to hit targets when you're always on the move. He had some time to get settled on Saturday, but I would imagine that anyone would feel jumpy considering the way the first couple games went down, especially after losing a year due to a serious injury.

I really hope he can get his s*** together and get back into a rhythm.
Starter

by wanker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

Zac had a good half season 2 years ago, the rest of his body of work is average
Starter

by Thrick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 am

First quarter he had a pretty good showing. Way better than the games before. It is baby steps but steps forward none the less.
If we did have a proper O line and he had the time to look around before having to get rid of the ball I think he would be doing better. His feet are in constant motion he is trying but he doesn't have the chance to get the ball off.
Any sports player who suffers a major injury as Zack has will always have that little bit of fear in the back of their minds (how could anyone not) I personally do not think that is injury plays such a big part as a lot of people are thinking it does.
This all being said at the same time his record does speak for itself. Maybe it is time for a change or we wait it out and stand behind the team and the coaching staff.
Oskee Wee Wee
Practice Squad

by TravelPat1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 am

RiX wrote:If you watch his feet, he's jumping all over the place. Never gets them planted or settles down before he throws.

Yup - he looks like he's doing tap dance back there is feet are moving so much.

It seemed to me he was often at his best with a mixture of rollout passes - each direction - mixed in with some straight dropbacks and screens. Now it seems everything is a straight dropback pass, he never looks comfortable, can't find any open receivers downfield so has to drop it off for almost no gain. How many complete passes did we have that gained less than 5 yards?
All-Star

by blackandgld » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am

All the play calls seem to be 40 yard wide throw to gain 5 yards. 2nd and ten and a 7 yard route. Whatever they are doing they need to change it up.
All-Star

by Palmer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

blackandgld wrote:All the play calls seem to be 40 yard wide throw to gain 5 yards. 2nd and ten and a 7 yard route. Whatever they are doing they need to change it up.

Have to agree on 2nd down plays. Is it the call or the route running. Andy could just fall forward for an extra two, but Luke is too short :D .

Never understood the 5 - 7 yard route when you need 10, given our low YACs stats. At speed, the extra yards is probably one or two steps, and the DB can't make contact after five yards.
Veteran

by DisplacedCatsFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Palmer wrote:
blackandgld wrote:All the play calls seem to be 40 yard wide throw to gain 5 yards. 2nd and ten and a 7 yard route. Whatever they are doing they need to change it up.

Have to agree on 2nd down plays. Is it the call or the route running. Andy could just fall forward for an extra two, but Luke is too short :D .

Never understood the 5 - 7 yard route when you need 10, given our low YACs stats. At speed, the extra yards is probably one or two steps, and the DB can't make contact after five yards.

I think that the majority of those are secondary/tertiary targets, especially if the primaries either can't get open or the defence is playing a deep zone.
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath
All-Star

by ticatbill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Can u blame him if he's in the pocket it breaks down if he gets out there's someone on him give him time to plant and check his options he'll be fine n much improved for first half last game
Veteran

by Slomojo2005 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm

ticats4242ticats wrote:I think part of it is wanting Zach to try and get into a rhythm.

So much of WEEK 1 & 2 was just running for his life (ahem. Swindle. ahem.) that he needs series multiple series to get his timing down. Don't lose hope quote yet, trust the system. Give them the rest of this year, that's what I'm doing. If they fail this year, reset the whole system.

Right on Ticat4242.
Starter

Next