Hamilton forum-being told not to comment

Re: Hamilton forum-being told not to comment

by beaglehound » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:56 pm

"I also mentally correct people when I read, but forums aren't english exams and I find it a little condescending when people start to correct people."…by Photo1

A fair comment Photo1. A point that should be well taken, even by those who do it "tongue in cheek". [not referring to any one person in particular]. Personally, I think the use of sarcasm goes a little too far sometimes. Sarcasm can be harmless and even funny sometimes but it is often used to make a point and unfortunately at the expense of the recipient.

It would be nice if we were all literary giants but we are all just plain old everyday CFL football fans who are not all up to speed on precise grammar. There are even those who are more anal than others. [no sarcasm intended]
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Also bearing in mind that the person writing and making the error might be attempting to learn a second (or third, fourth...) language. Been there and it's not very encouraging to have someone make you sound like an imbecile because you mistook your "then" and "than", for example.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by bobo8224 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

I've got a funny feeling that this forum is suddenly going to see a lot more traffic then it has all season. As they say "Business has just picked up " I think that it's about to get very interesting in here in the next couple of weeks as REDBLACKS Fever takes over this forum.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS
All-Star

by beaglehound » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:12 pm

bobo8224 wrote:I've got a funny feeling that this forum is suddenly going to see a lot more traffic then it has all season. As they say "Business has just picked up " I think that it's about to get very interesting in here in the next couple of weeks as REDBLACKS Fever takes over this forum.

Ah yesiree Bobo. You are right about that. :thup: And I am so very happy for Ottawa. For almost 10 years the Ottawa fans had no team of their own to talk about. They had to adopt another team.

With Ottawa doing as well as it has been doing I think it is great to see Ottawa fans tooting their horn let alone even having a horn to toot.

And if REDBLACKS fever does take over the forum I am sure there are some who have just the antidote. They know who they are. :wink:

It has been great to see an Ottawa franchise back in the CFL. It is even better that the team has done so well in this, only its second season after such a long time off the radar. This is good for Ottawa, the fans and CFL! :thup: :thup:

Let us hope that SSK, Winnipeg and Montreal are able heal after taking such a beating this year. They will I'm sure. Perhaps I should have included the Lions in that group??
All-Star

by ArgoT » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:42 pm

I had the same experience, with the added you are a troll so go away.
The worst team forum here on the CFL site.
All-Star

by slimjim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:42 am

beaglehound wrote:
bobo8224 wrote:I've got a funny feeling that this forum is suddenly going to see a lot more traffic then it has all season. As they say "Business has just picked up " I think that it's about to get very interesting in here in the next couple of weeks as REDBLACKS Fever takes over this forum.

Ah yesiree Bobo. You are right about that. :thup: And I am so very happy for Ottawa. For almost 10 years the Ottawa fans had no team of their own to talk about. They had to adopt another team.

With Ottawa doing as well as it has been doing I think it is great to see Ottawa fans tooting their horn let alone even having a horn to toot.

And if REDBLACKS fever does take over the forum I am sure there are some who have just the antidote. They know who they are. :wink:

It has been great to see an Ottawa franchise back in the CFL. It is even better that the team has done so well in this, only its second season after such a long time off the radar. This is good for Ottawa, the fans and CFL! :thup: :thup:

Let us hope that SSK, Winnipeg and Montreal are able heal after taking such a beating this year. They will I'm sure. Perhaps I should have included the Lions in that group??

The thing is Ottawa REDBLACKS fans have their own site R-NATION and it's not associated with CFL.ca, a lot of Ottawa fans are on that site and post and comment there. That is the main reason why you don't get a lot of Ottawa fans posting here, they have their own site. That site has been around since the Renegade days. What I love about it "no trolls allowed"
I think a couple of other teams like Sask have their own site too.
The Ticats don't have their own site except the Ticats.ca forums linked to CFL.ca, so you are going to get more comments on the Ticat forums.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:36 pm

"I think a couple of other teams like Sask have their own site too."… by slimjim

I know there is a site where Lions fans can go. I tried the site but found it difficult to follow the threads and some of the more anal types objected to my use of color in lieu of always using black font.
I often use dark blue to differentiate my comments from another poster's as sometimes others have gotten confused about who said what. It just makes it easier to follow for me. I don't always do it. I tried to do it on the other site and some of the guys got annoyed and complained. No idea why since it doesn't seem to bother anyone here on the CFL forums. I decided to stay with the CFL forums.
I hope more Ottawa fans post on the CFL forums. It maintains interest.
All-Star

by Photo1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't think there will be a lot of new traffic on this forum with the majority of RedBlacks fans on the RNation facebook page. It may also be that many simply don't know about the CFL forums. I'm sure that many don't enjoy reading some of the idiotic comments posted on forums in general. Doesn't matter what forum or what sport, some people just post for the sake of posting.
Starter

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, I guess I'll stay here for a while now too. Lol...

Apparently they want to be left to their delusions. So be it. :thup:
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by noback » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:00 pm

I just read it too. I don't get it either.

Maybe we should start a "Congrats Hamilton" thread in the RedBlacks section, on coming in SECOND place. :wink:
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by stevehvh » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi. I'm a Ticat fan, have been since 1961. I recall well the old days of a great Hamilton-Ottawa rivalry in the 1960s.

As far as I'm concerned, Ottawa fans are welcome in the Ticats section of the forum. I've been on the forum for a long time, and there have been excellent participants and good comments from fans of other teams all that time. A few Als fans and Argo fans seem to be there fairly often. I have no problem with that at all. Once in a blue moon there is someone who is really being obnoxious and shows neither manners or sense, but most of the time they are good folks who want to make a comment. There are obnoxious people in the Ticat section too. The Ticat section of the forum is by far the most active one, so it is not surprising that others go there to participate in the discussions. I'm happy to have you participate, and hope you continue and not let a few noisy people scare you off. Just so you know, Bob Young, the Ticats owner, has made it clear that other teams' fans are welcome there. Members who tell you to go away have no basis for doing so. Ignore them.

By the way, congratulations to the REDBLACKS on their excellent season. I hope we meet again in a week or so and have the chance to redeem ourselves in the Division Final.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Appreciate that, Steve. :thup: But personally I won't bother. It's not a big deal, up until Monday I never used to go anyway. If it was just one guy I'd say "screw him" but it came up a couple of times so forget it. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's little treehouse.

The only reason it's even remotely noteworthy is because it's just strange. We weren't stirring up trouble, or clogging up a bunch of thread to pound our chests about the mighty RedBlacks so I don't know why anyone would take exception to it. Seems childish so I can't be bothered. But thanks for speaking on behalf of the adults. :wink:
All-Star

by noback » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:14 pm

stevehvh wrote:Hi. I'm a Ticat fan, have been since 1961. I recall well the old days of a great Hamilton-Ottawa rivalry in the 1960s.

As far as I'm concerned, Ottawa fans are welcome in the Ticats section of the forum. I've been on the forum for a long time, and there have been excellent participants and good comments from fans of other teams all that time. A few Als fans and Argo fans seem to be there fairly often. I have no problem with that at all. Once in a blue moon there is someone who is really being obnoxious and shows neither manners or sense, but most of the time they are good folks who want to make a comment. There are obnoxious people in the Ticat section too. The Ticat section of the forum is by far the most active one, so it is not surprising that others go there to participate in the discussions. I'm happy to have you participate, and hope you continue and not let a few noisy people scare you off. Just so you know, Bob Young, the Ticats owner, has made it clear that other teams' fans are welcome there. Members who tell you to go away have no basis for doing so. Ignore them.

"By the way, congratulations to the REDBLACKS on their excellent season. I hope we meet again in a week or so and have the chance to redeem ourselves in the Division Final.

Thanks for the comments. I know there are many posters like you who truly do wish us well after a great second year back. :thup:

I'm sure BIGCAT who started the thread and many others who were sincere did not think the yahoos would take over the thread and turn it into a "RedBlacks were lucky in the draft" AND "RedBlacks Fans STAY OUT of TigerCats section" thread. Not the friendliest forum :roll:
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by stevehvh » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Well I understand how you feel and why, but hope you'll change your mind and feel free to comment there or anywhere else you please. As a matter of fact I don't post nearly as often as I used to. The juvenile section does seem to have taken over quite a bit. But I hate to see them win.

I'm glad to see Ottawa back in the CFL and doing well. I'll wait to wish you luck in the division final until after I see how the semi-final works out!
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
All-Star

by Photo1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:37 pm

stevehvh wrote:Well I understand how you feel and why, but hope you'll change your mind and feel free to comment there or anywhere else you please. As a matter of fact I don't post nearly as often as I used to. The juvenile section does seem to have taken over quite a bit. But I hate to see them win.

I'm glad to see Ottawa back in the CFL and doing well. I'll wait to wish you luck in the division final until after I see how the semi-final works out!

Thanks for your comments Steve. I'll continue to comment on the Hamilton forum when i have anything positive to add.
Starter

PreviousNext