Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

Re: Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm

rpaege wrote:
Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:
Sask. has no authority over the name " Rough Riders" with the space. Only the "Roughriders" name without the space. In fact, Sask.'s name doesn't make sense. They couldn't copyright in Canada because the Ottawa Rough Riders owned it, therefore, they created a variation of it without the space. Technically if Ottawa had sued them over the name in the 1920's, Sask. would not have won. They would have been forced to take something else.

Gee I guess the CFL should have hired you as its lawyer. They really lost out.

HA HA HA. I guess the CFL should have hired you as a comedian. We, and the CFL, really won out !!!
Knock Em Cold, In the Cold ! (Jack Gotta circa 1973)

Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm

rpaege wrote:
CRFadmin wrote:
RedBlack Nation wrote:I'm glad we didn't use the name Rough Riders. I mean two teams with the same name in a nine team league is weird. Change is good. RedBlacks is a great new name.

I was open to a new name, I just detest the one we ended up with. The only way it could have been worse to me is if they tried to be cool and called them the RedBlaX.

I kind of feel the same way, but I've resolved to keep and open mind to see if the name somehow grows on me.

I just kind of try to ignore it. Lol...I know a number of people are buying the French merchandise because "Rouge et Noir" is at least grammatically sound. I may do that too. I'm OK with the logo, but the circular saw is more cartoony than I'd like.

Part of what has really irritated me about the name is that for a while there, it was taking away from every good thing the club was doing. They hired scouts and draft college players, but all anyone could talk about in comment sections and social media is what an idiotic name RedBlacks is.

RedBlacks apologists will tell you that any new name would have seemed weird, but I don't recall this kind of response to Renegades. I also don't recall Renegades being referred to as "embarassing" or "the worst name in professional sports".
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by jay2015 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 pm

The other thing is how strong ticket sales have been people don't talk about that and what really gets me is before council did approve the Oseg bid some said there would be little interest 9,000 season pins sold i think that shows lots of interest.
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 pm

jay2015 wrote:The other thing is how strong ticket sales have been people don't talk about that and what really gets me is before council did approve the Oseg bid some said there would be little interest 9,000 season pins sold i think that shows lots of interest.

Yeah, now I'm a little unclear as to how that works.

Say if I reserved four tickets. I would still only have one number, right?

So is 9,000 the number of reservations or actual tickets? I assume the latter, but it's often referred to as 9,000 PRN's, which may not be accurate.

I wonder how many will actually follow through, too. I bought mine in 2008. I wasn't alone. Who knows how many people now find themselves unable to follow through because the team is playing four years later than expected.

On the RedBlacks radio show, they said they were just under 10,000 last week. I hope they make a big deal of cracking the 10,000 mark.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by jay2015 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:57 am

CRFadmin wrote:
jay2015 wrote:The other thing is how strong ticket sales have been people don't talk about that and what really gets me is before council did approve the Oseg bid some said there would be little interest 9,000 season pins sold i think that shows lots of interest.

Yeah, now I'm a little unclear as to how that works.

Say if I reserved four tickets. I would still only have one number, right?

So is 9,000 the number of reservations or actual tickets? I assume the latter, but it's often referred to as 9,000 PRN's, which may not be accurate.

I wonder how many will actually follow through, too. I bought mine in 2008. I wasn't alone. Who knows how many people now find themselves unable to follow through because the team is playing four years later than expected.

On the RedBlacks radio show, they said they were just under 10,000 last week. I hope they make a big deal of cracking the 10,000 mark.

The way i understand it is yes you just get one pin but when they say 9,000 season sold does that mean pins or season tickets that i don't know.
Veteran

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Is there any talk about the RedBlacks marketing retro Rough Riders merchandise such as classic Ottawa Rough Riders jerseys, logos caps, panchos etc. Does anyone know ?

Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Is there any talk about the RedBlacks marketing retro Rough Riders merchandise such as classic Ottawa Rough Riders jerseys, logos caps, panchos etc. Does anyone know ?

Haven't heard a single thing about that. I guess they want the RedBlacks "brand" to catch on before doing any of that. Or maybe it'll only be available during games where they wear those uniforms (assuming there is one).

I'm having a tough time getting used to this RedBlacks thing. Hey, I'm not going to boycott, refuse to go to games, refuse to use the name, hold my breath, whatever, but...ugh.
All-Star

by GernB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Sorry, but the name is terrible. It's as if Hunt's people are saying "We're sorry, we tried and tried but we are not creative enough to come up with a proper name. Here you go."

One of the posters on CFL.ca suggested Burlers, as a reference to the logging industry. Even Lumberjacks would have been better than REDBLACKS. The alternate logos as posted somewhere here are quite good, but I can't say I like the one that was chosen.
Veteran

by BCRiderFan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:47 pm

GernB wrote:Sorry, but the name is terrible. It's as if Hunt's people are saying "We're sorry, we tried and tried but we are not creative enough to come up with a proper name. Here you go."

One of the posters on CFL.ca suggested Burlers, as a reference to the logging industry. Even Lumberjacks would have been better than REDBLACKS. The alternate logos as posted somewhere here are quite good, but I can't say I like the one that was chosen.

Lumberjacks would not be a better name. Redblacks is okay, has a bit of an edge, I don't mind it at all. The important thing was keeping the same colours, and the nod to the previous history
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by BCRiderFan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:49 pm

CRFadmin wrote:Exactly. Saskatchewan does not have the right, for example, to sell merchandise which includes the old Ottawa logos. They don't own it. Had OSEG wanted to fight this so-called veto, they could have, but it's hardly the way to enter into a new partnership with the league. Besides, I think they really preferred going with a whole new brand all along and just used this as a way to justify their position, knowing that some fans wouldn't like that.

Saskatchewan may have requested a condition by which they would cast their vote in favour of the Ottawa club, but that's a far cry from actually having the rights to the name. If Horn Chen had been so inclined as to continue to (try to) sell Rough Riders merchandise, Saskatchewan wouldn't have had a word to say about it.

As far as the colours go, no one has to accomodate anyone.

Saskatchewan doesn't have authorizy of course to sell anything "Rough Riders". Of course they have no desire to. But they absolutely have the right to protect their brand, which they will continue to do successfully.

Regarding the 1920's, Ottawa gave up the name Rough Riders for a period of time, so Saskatchewan took the Roughriders name for themselves. Any lawsuit like you suggested earlier against Saskatchewan would have had no merit whatsoever based on the name being given up.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:36 am

BCRiderFan wrote:
CRFadmin wrote:Exactly. Saskatchewan does not have the right, for example, to sell merchandise which includes the old Ottawa logos. They don't own it. Had OSEG wanted to fight this so-called veto, they could have, but it's hardly the way to enter into a new partnership with the league. Besides, I think they really preferred going with a whole new brand all along and just used this as a way to justify their position, knowing that some fans wouldn't like that.

Saskatchewan may have requested a condition by which they would cast their vote in favour of the Ottawa club, but that's a far cry from actually having the rights to the name. If Horn Chen had been so inclined as to continue to (try to) sell Rough Riders merchandise, Saskatchewan wouldn't have had a word to say about it.

Saskatchewan doesn't have authorizy of course to sell anything "Rough Riders". Of course they have no desire to. But they absolutely have the right to protect their brand, which they will continue to do successfully.

Regarding the 1920's, Ottawa gave up the name Rough Riders for a period of time, so Saskatchewan took the Roughriders name for themselves. Any lawsuit like you suggested earlier against Saskatchewan would have had no merit whatsoever based on the name being given up.

I don't believe I suggested that OSEG should sue Saskatchewan. What I do believe is that if Saskatchewan tried to prove in court that the Rough Riders name affected their brand negatively, they'd be hard-pressed to do so, based on several decades of the teams co-existing that way. Both brands are very easy to tell apart.

And even if they made the attempt, both brands are separate legal entities. Horn Chen didn't use it, but that doesn't mean he loses his rights. Someone else can not just come in and say you can no longer use something you own because our version is currently more popular.

If a Halifax club was coming in tomorrow and chose the name Rough-Riderz, you'd be totally right because that variation doesn't exist. Not only could Sakatchewan fight that, the owner of Rough Riders could too.
All-Star

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:05 am

[/quote] BC Rider fan:
Lumberjacks would not be a better name. Redblacks is okay, has a bit of an edge, I don't mind it at all. The important thing was keeping the same colours, and the nod to the previous history[/quote]

I have to agree. RedBlacks is all right. I didn't like it at first, but when Hunt explained it at the opening event, it made sense to me. They are recognizing the Riders history and the R will be back on the helmet. I was worried that it would be a singular poliltically corrrect lame-ass name.

Veteran

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am

CRFadmin wrote:
BCRiderFan wrote:

I don't believe I suggested that OSEG should sue Saskatchewan. What I do believe is that if Saskatchewan tried to prove in court that the Rough Riders name affected their brand negatively, they'd be hard-pressed to do so, based on several decades of the teams co-existing that way. Both brands are very easy to tell apart.

And even if they made the attempt, both brands are separate legal entities. Horn Chen didn't use it, but that doesn't mean he loses his rights. Someone else can not just come in and say you can no longer use something you own because our version is currently more popular.

If a Halifax club was coming in tomorrow and chose the name Rough-Riderz, you'd be totally right because that variation doesn't exist. Not only could Sakatchewan fight that, the owner of Rough Riders could too.

Just because the 1920's Rough Riders parked the name for two years doesn't mean they still didn't own the name. In fact, The 20's Ottawa Rough Riders should have forced Sask. to stop using the name due to trademark infringment. I still believe they could have blocked Sask. from using the name.

Veteran

by StampsRock! » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am

Just because the 1920's Rough Riders parked the name for two years doesn't mean they still didn't own the name. In fact, The 20's Ottawa Rough Riders should have forced Sask. to stop using the name due to trademark infringment. I still believe they could have blocked Sask. from using the name.

True, but the teams were basically playing in separate leagues under a national governing body, so it probably didn't seem a big deal back then.
The thing that bugs me is the historical revisionism that the Sask RRs and their fans employ when talking about the name they copied from Ottawa (I could've said stole, but keeping it civil). Regina first used the name Rough Riders in 1924 and Ottawa didn't change it's name to Senators until '25, so has nothing to do with Ottawa giving up the name. More of a case of Ottawa not caring as Regina was basically in a different league and only change of playing each other at that time would've only been in the GC.
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!
Veteran

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am

Just because the 1920's Rough Riders parked the name for two years doesn't mean they still didn't own the name. In fact, The 20's Ottawa Rough Riders should have forced Sask. to stop using the name due to trademark infringment. I still believe they could have blocked Sask. from using the name.[/quote]

True, but the teams were basically playing in separate leagues under a national governing body, so it probably didn't seem a big deal back then.
The thing that bugs me is the historical revisionism that the Sask RRs and their fans employ when talking about the name they copied from Ottawa (I could've said stole, but keeping it civil). Regina first used the name Rough Riders in 1924 and Ottawa didn't change it's name to Senators until '25, so has nothing to do with Ottawa giving up the name. More of a case of Ottawa not caring as Regina was basically in a different league and only change of playing each other at that time would've only been in the GC.[/quote]

And I would lke to add, Sask. even copied the same colours as the Rough Riders. I would've much preferred seeing the league not allow Sask. to vetoe Ottawa's use of the Rough Riders name. Curse the Sask. Fakeriders. It will come back to haunt you in the future.

Veteran

PreviousNext