Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

Re: Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 am

Calgary, with the black helmets, just doesn't look right. I think they are trying to capitalize on using Ottawa's old colours and taking advantage of Ottawa's absence.
Knock Em Cold, In the Cold ! (Jack Gotta circa 1973)

Veteran

by Gornaldatron » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Calgary, with the black helmets, just doesn't look right. I think they are trying to capitalize on using Ottawa's old colours and taking advantage of Ottawa's absence.

I'm surprised that Calgary management didn't have the foresight for this. Did they think that Ottawa would change their colours or something? I hope the Stamps revert back to red and white, and this would be an easy fix with the current template:

Introduce the above colour jersey as an alternate this year, full change in 2014. That's one problem out of the way.
Veteran

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

I'm hoping the Big White R will be on the helmet. IT should be interesting to see the uniforms. Has there been any speculation as to when we'll see them ? Anyone know ?

Veteran

by RedBlack Nation » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Long live the Rough Riders as REDBLACKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rookie

by rpaege » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Gornaldatron wrote:
Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Calgary, with the black helmets, just doesn't look right. I think they are trying to capitalize on using Ottawa's old colours and taking advantage of Ottawa's absence.

I'm surprised that Calgary management didn't have the foresight for this. Did they think that Ottawa would change their colours or something? I hope the Stamps revert back to red and white, and this would be an easy fix with the current template:

Introduce the above colour jersey as an alternate this year, full change in 2014. That's one problem out of the way.

I don't see how it's Calgary's responsibility to change anything. Just as Sask now has domain over the Roughriders/Rough Riders name, so does Calgary over its colour scheme. The news guys are the ones who should be accommodating the existing teams, not the other way around. As it is, every team in the league is already committed to giving up players to the help. Leave their colours and uniform design alone. The REDBLACKS will just have to be creative.
ImageImage
All-Star

by FootbalYouBet » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:17 pm

RedBlack Nation wrote:Long live the Rough Riders as REDBLACKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

long live the redblack riders
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building
Hall of Famer

by JeffB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:57 pm

rpaege wrote:I don't see how it's Calgary's responsibility to change anything. Just as Sask now has domain over the Roughriders/Rough Riders name, so does Calgary over its colour scheme. The news guys are the ones who should be accommodating the existing teams, not the other way around. As it is, every team in the league is already committed to giving up players to the help. Leave their colours and uniform design alone. The REDBLACKS will just have to be creative.

It is one thing to get some sort of domain over a name and logo, but a colour scheme is much more difficult. The Boston Bruins tried to do that when the Penguins switched to black and gold in the late 70's or early 80's, but it didn't pan out.

That being said, the red stamps unis pictured there look really sharp.
Rookie

by BluesMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 pm

REDBLACKS have the best name and logo in the CFL! 8)
And... when can we expect REDBLACK avitar options on here??
OTTAWA REDBLACKS
9 Grey Cups
1925 1926 1940 1951 1960 1968 1969 1973 1976
Starter

by mikem » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 am

BluesMan wrote:REDBLACKS have the best name and logo in the CFL! 8)
And... when can we expect REDBLACK avitar options on here??

Yea and how do we remove the Stamps pics and posts that were posted above??
Don't they have their own site?
This is this the REDBLACKS site.
All-Star

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

rpaege wrote:
Gornaldatron wrote:

I don't see how it's Calgary's responsibility to change anything. Just as Sask now has domain over the Roughriders/Rough Riders name, so does Calgary over its colour scheme. The news guys are the ones who should be accommodating the existing teams, not the other way around. As it is, every team in the league is already committed to giving up players to the help. Leave their colours and uniform design alone. The REDBLACKS will just have to be creative.

Sask. has no authority over the name " Rough Riders" with the space. Only the "Roughriders" name without the space. In fact, Sask.'s name doesn't make sense. They couldn't copyright in Canada because the Ottawa Rough Riders owned it, therefore, they created a variation of it without the space. Technically if Ottawa had sued them over the name in the 1920's, Sask. would not have won. They would have been forced to take something else.

Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am

Exactly. Saskatchewan does not have the right, for example, to sell merchandise which includes the old Ottawa logos. They don't own it. Had OSEG wanted to fight this so-called veto, they could have, but it's hardly the way to enter into a new partnership with the league. Besides, I think they really preferred going with a whole new brand all along and just used this as a way to justify their position, knowing that some fans wouldn't like that.

Saskatchewan may have requested a condition by which they would cast their vote in favour of the Ottawa club, but that's a far cry from actually having the rights to the name. If Horn Chen had been so inclined as to continue to (try to) sell Rough Riders merchandise, Saskatchewan wouldn't have had a word to say about it.

As far as the colours go, no one has to accomodate anyone.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by rpaege » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:07 am

Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:
Sask. has no authority over the name " Rough Riders" with the space. Only the "Roughriders" name without the space. In fact, Sask.'s name doesn't make sense. They couldn't copyright in Canada because the Ottawa Rough Riders owned it, therefore, they created a variation of it without the space. Technically if Ottawa had sued them over the name in the 1920's, Sask. would not have won. They would have been forced to take something else.

Gee I guess the CFL should have hired you as its lawyer. They really lost out.
ImageImage
All-Star

by RedBlack Nation » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm glad we didn't use the name Rough Riders. I mean two teams with the same name in a nine team league is weird. Change is good. RedBlacks is a great new name.
Rookie

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:45 pm

RedBlack Nation wrote:I'm glad we didn't use the name Rough Riders. I mean two teams with the same name in a nine team league is weird. Change is good. RedBlacks is a great new name.

I was open to a new name, I just detest the one we ended up with. The only way it could have been worse to me is if they tried to be cool and called them the RedBlaX.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by rpaege » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:23 pm

CRFadmin wrote:
RedBlack Nation wrote:I'm glad we didn't use the name Rough Riders. I mean two teams with the same name in a nine team league is weird. Change is good. RedBlacks is a great new name.

I was open to a new name, I just detest the one we ended up with. The only way it could have been worse to me is if they tried to be cool and called them the RedBlaX.

I kind of feel the same way, but I've resolved to keep and open mind to see if the name somehow grows on me.
ImageImage
All-Star

PreviousNext