Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

Re: Ottawa RedBlacks. Yes !!The Big White R is Back.

by BCRiderFan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Just because the 1920's Rough Riders parked the name for two years doesn't mean they still didn't own the name. In fact, The 20's Ottawa Rough Riders should have forced Sask. to stop using the name due to trademark infringment. I still believe they could have blocked Sask. from using the name.

True, but the teams were basically playing in separate leagues under a national governing body, so it probably didn't seem a big deal back then.
The thing that bugs me is the historical revisionism that the Sask RRs and their fans employ when talking about the name they copied from Ottawa (I could've said stole, but keeping it civil). Regina first used the name Rough Riders in 1924 and Ottawa didn't change it's name to Senators until '25, so has nothing to do with Ottawa giving up the name. More of a case of Ottawa not caring as Regina was basically in a different league and only change of playing each other at that time would've only been in the GC.[/quote]

And I would lke to add, Sask. even copied the same colours as the Rough Riders. I would've much preferred seeing the league not allow Sask. to vetoe Ottawa's use of the Rough Riders name. Curse the Sask. Fakeriders. It will come back to haunt you in the future.[/quote]

Ottawa didn't "park" the name, they gave it up.

Funny how Jeff Hunt realized they wouldn't be able to use the name, and fighting it legally would be fruitless. I guess you know more about it than he does though.

As far as the "haunt you" comments, no idea what that means. I hope you're convincing your friends to buy season tickets, because I want Ottawa to be strong, not fail for the third time, that's no good for anyone.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm

BCRiderFan wrote:Ottawa didn't "park" the name, they gave it up.

Funny how Jeff Hunt realized they wouldn't be able to use the name, and fighting it legally would be fruitless. I guess you know more about it than he does though.

As far as the "haunt you" comments, no idea what that means. I hope you're convincing your friends to buy season tickets, because I want Ottawa to be strong, not fail for the third time, that's no good for anyone.

Don't be so sure about that first part. The Senators name was used in print well before and well after those two Grey Cup years. Things were a lot simpler then and it may be that Seantors was the name used by media at the time so it became the one that's on all the reports.

In any event, even if they did give it up, they still took it back and it still exists on its own, separate from Saskatchewan.

As far as Hunt not fighting it, not only do I not think that he was so bummed by that (preferring to put his own brand together) but it would hardly be a good way to start a new partnership with the league.

Also, if it came down to votes around the board room table, he has no leverage by which to get people to vote his way. Saskatchewan can far more easily gather support for their position.

I believe that is what Hunt meant when he said it was not sorth fighting. It wasn't that big a deal to him and he knows his place as the new kid on the block. Could he succeed in court? I certainly think so, but I don't think he would ever want to take things in that directly.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm

To give up the name, the Ottawa Rough Riders would've had to sell the name. There was no sale here, no exchange of money. Organizations just don't "give up" intellectual properties like a trademark or copyright. I was using the term "park" as a synonym for "suspend the use of". And... I don't think I know more than Jeff Hunt, you are stating that, BCRiderfan, not me. I tend to agree with CRFadmin. :thdn:
Knock Em Cold, In the Cold ! (Jack Gotta circa 1973)

Veteran

by redduck1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 am

There are many benefits you offer it.
จีคลับ1688
Practice Squad

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:38 am

Let's hope the new Adidas uniforms reflect the style of the Riders uniforms instead of the boring ones from the past two seasons.
Knock Em Cold, In the Cold ! (Jack Gotta circa 1973)

Veteran

Previous