Nigel Romick, DL, National
Jamill Smith, WR, International
Nicholas Taylor, DB, International
Travon Van, RB, International
Dan West, DB, National
Mitchell White, DB, International
Aston Whiteside, DL, International
Chris Williams, WR, International

I'll try to keep it up to date like I did last year now that I have better access to this place again.

As well all know, SirVincent Rogers and Connor Williams both resigned prior to the list coming out but were only recently announced.

Edit: Bold is re-signed, red is gone.
Last edited by QQ One-Nine on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 12 times in total.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

Re: 2017 Free Agents

by BigJoeM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Yikes that's a lot of players to sign up quickly too many go to guys .

If I could only sign 10 : Ellingson , Hightower , E Jackson , A Kanneh , K Lafrance , J Gavins , M Hopkins , J Michael Dean , and T Reed .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:13 am

Ooh, ten would be tough. I let Deane go in favour of McMillan. I let Hopkins go to keep Lattanzio. I might need to sacrifice one of the American DBs (I include Gavins in that, even though he plays LB a lot) to keep Pruneau.

It's a big list, but among the guys that ARE under contract, there aren't really any big ticket items aside from the quarterbacks. So it might be pretty manageable.

I just don't know how much you save from letting certain guys go. Losing Aston Whiteside, for example, and replacing him with a guy off the street can't be that big a deal. I can't imagine he made huge coin.

Since one-year deals are now the norm, we might benefit from hosting the cup next year. Also, guys that left for more money earlier this year might be regretting not getting those playoff dollars. Right, Jovon Johnson?
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by jamie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Boy I would sure sign Gavins. The team really struggled when he was out with injury.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:25 pm

jamie wrote:Boy I would sure sign Gavins. The team really struggled when he was out with injury.

I thought making him a linebacker was insane but he did quite well there. He plays bigger than he is.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:36 pm

I think I would want to pick up Van Zeyl or Holmes OL from Toronto National linemen if they are available .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:54 pm

BigJoeM wrote:I think I would want to pick up Van Zeyl or Holmes OL from Toronto National linemen if they are available .

I really thought Holmes would come here a year or two ago but he re-signed in Toronto. Maybe now that the team is more solid...

I've had it with J'Mouchoir Deane, man. To replace him with Holmes would be awesome. :thup:
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Ellingson, Hightower, White and Jeff Richards said to have had NFL interest. I think they've all had workouts with the possible exception of White.

Jeff Richards surprises me. One guy on Twitter said as many as 11 teams are after him. He's played about ten games with us, part time. So he went from zero teams to 11 is beyond me. I question that a bit, but apparently he has an offer from Carolina that he has yet to sign.
All-Star

by noback » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:06 pm

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/01/ ... e-players/

looks like done deal now for three of those four
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:59 pm

noback wrote:http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/01/04/redblacks-grant-releases-to-three-players/

looks like done deal now for three of those four

And Jeff Richards was the first guy to be made known, signing with Carolina. Still finding that surprising.

Hightower to New Orleans, Ellingson working out for Jacksonville tomorrow. That one scares me, they could use the help and he's from Florida. It wouldn't surprise too many people if he managed to latch on there.

Oh well. Price of success. On the flip side, I'm also surprised that we haven't a thing about Abdul Kanneh.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Hightower would be a big loss in the secondary . Ellingson may get a good look I hope he doesn't get lost in the practice squad and never sees the field it would be a real loss for him not to perform he's a real gamer but a bonus financially even then . A two edged sword as playing time life is so short .

Wish them both well .
Veteran

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm

BigJoeM wrote:Hightower would be a big loss in the secondary .

Oof. This isn't just one of those "futures" deals, I don't think. Saints liked what they saw. Curious about the signing bonus.

Farhan Lalji
Hightower's deal is 3 years for 1.7 million.
All-Star

by noback » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Taylor Reed signs for another year in R-Nation!! :thup:

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/01/ ... ylor-reed/
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 pm

noback wrote:Taylor Reed signs for another year in R-Nation!! :thup:

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/01/ ... ylor-reed/

I'm surprised it's only a year. He had talked about wanting to find a place where he could. settle down and give back to the community.

But I'll take it!
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:19 pm

With Burris gone now, I would be very happy to hear that Mitchell Gale has been picked up. Similar CFL "upbringing" to Harris and the two seem to be tight.
All-Star

Next