2017 Free Agents

Re: 2017 Free Agents

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:04 pm

QQ One-Nine wrote:
noback wrote:Damaso Munoz released by #Redblacks

That's rough. The perception was that it was due to signing Khalil Bass, but Desjardins said the decision was made last night in order to bring back McMillan.

Chris Milo too. Said he's known since before Christmas. Was told he was not consistent enough. The odd thing is that Ray Early was announced as being re-signed on December 15th, yet he's still on everyone FA list. :cowboy:

I take that back. The free agent list is now updated to show Ray Early as extended, along with defensive lineman Mike Moore and DB/LB Nicholas Taylor.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by noback » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:16 pm

QQ One-Nine wrote:
noback wrote:Damaso Munoz released by #Redblacks

That's rough. The perception was that it was due to signing Khalil Bass, but Desjardins said the decision was made last night in order to bring back McMillan.

Chris Milo too. Said he's known since before Christmas. Was told he was not consistent enough. The odd thing is that Ray Early was announced as being re-signed on December 15th, yet he's still on everyone FA list. :cowboy:

Don't forget we still Pfeiffer on our roster. He was hurt which is the reason for the kicking being shot to hell, if he comes back healthy then we have him and Early for field goals :thup:

and yes I agree that Lanfrance is not worth 6 figures, YES he was more than solid in the "snow" bowl and helped out in the Grey Cup, he was listed as 3rd or 4th in depth chart?
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by RBFan2014 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm

TSN is listing Cleyon Liang as resigning with the RBs. Haven't seen any announcements though.
Rookie

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:24 pm

RBFan2014 wrote:TSN is listing Cleyon Liang as resigning with the RBs. Haven't seen any announcements though.

Oh, wow, that would be massive.

Edit: Although what I'm seeing is that he's signing with the Wrong Riders? :? I guess we'll know soon.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Lafrance gained a lot of respect filling in last year and was not out of place in the East Final in fact he performed like a guy worth 6 figures that game .

Kanneh as well he came to work game in game out and was consistently good .

Two guys I wish were still Redblacks . Would still like to see Ernest Jackson signed back up with the Redblacks he has a reward coming to him and I hope it's my team that rewards him .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by BigJoeM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 pm

So the Canadian RB who played like an all star when called upon in the East final is gone .

The DB who made the game saving tackle in the Grey Cup is gone .

The QB who threw the game winning touchdown is gone and the guy ( east mop) who caught it is gone within 3 months of winning something Ottawa waited for over 40 years .

As much as I like some of the signings the CFL has always been a league short sighted when you need player /fan recognition . Losing EJ to Montreal today was a real downer after two years of Quality play by this man .
He was a guy I always looked to as drive extender who is capable of making not just a big catch but was hard to tackle when he got the rock in his hands . A guy who the NFL is missing out on and I was glad he was here to see us to the promise land .

A great signing in Montreal with Nik Lewis as the other hard as nails guy they will be fun to watch when I am not watching the RB's .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by drummer_god » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

As a fan of the Argos, I agree and was hoping Kanneh and Jackson would return to Ottawa.
Too much roster turnover year to year for my liking.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Great post BigJoe. Couldn't agree more on the CFL wide level.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Avec autant de joueurs de qualité sur le marché (Jackson, Ellingson, Williams, Lafrance, Whiteside, Van), il était difficile de les garder tous tout en conservant une structure salariale fonctionnelle. Je crois que les postes que Desjardins a dû concéder sont des postes qui peuvent se combler plus facilement en jonglant un peu avec le ratio. Les bons receveurs et porteurs de ballon sont moins rares que les bons joueurs de ligne offensive ou les bons joueurs de la tertiaire. Il faudra voir comment ces départs seront comblés avant d'y voir un gros recul.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Here is a guy that is still a free agent - Chevon Walker
Great story! he's working as a chef in a restaurant in Ottawa
http://www.ottawasun.com/videos/5327334762001
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am

BigJoeM wrote:As much as I like some of the signings the CFL has always been a league short sighted when you need player /fan recognition . Losing EJ to Montreal today was a real downer after two years of Quality play by this man.

Sorry, but I find that too much is being made of this.

For one thing, consider that Jackson signed for only about $10,000 - $120,000 more than he was reported to be making here, and was among the last big name free agents to find a home. I think he overvalued himself and refused to sign only to find that the money was gone when he did realize that a big pay day wasn't coming. He may have lost money on this deal. Good on Marcel for not overpaying. It's that lack of overpaying that enabled him to re-sign something like 15 free agents, even though he seems to be given little credit for it.

Also, people are focused on the losses and ignoring the retention. With the exception of Deane, the entire OLine returns and his replacement is probably already on the roster. Powell returns and if he's not up to speed, then Madu returns with both fullbacks. Pretty sure you're familiar with the Eastern all-star QB. Every defensive lineman but Moton Hopkins and an under-performing Aston Whiteside. Tank Reed, Pruneau, Rose, Gavins...There are plenty of familiar faces on this team.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 am

slimjim2 wrote:Here is a guy that is still a free agent - Chevon Walker
Great story! he's working as a chef in a restaurant in Ottawa
http://www.ottawasun.com/videos/5327334762001

With good reason. People seem to forget that he was terrible upon coming back from injury. There is no way I want this guy anywhere near the field.

Let's be able to differentiate between great guys and great players. So long, Jamill Smith, Scott MacDonnell and Danny O'Brien. Good guys, no doubt, but largely non-contributors.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am

LeStaf wrote:Avec autant de joueurs de qualité sur le marché (Jackson, Ellingson, Williams, Lafrance, Whiteside, Van), il était difficile de les garder tous tout en conservant une structure salariale fonctionnelle. Je crois que les postes que Desjardins a dû concéder sont des postes qui peuvent se combler plus facilement en jonglant un peu avec le ratio. Les bons receveurs et porteurs de ballon sont moins rares que les bons joueurs de ligne offensive ou les bons joueurs de la tertiaire. Il faudra voir comment ces départs seront comblés avant d'y voir un gros recul.

Take the time to translate the above, folks, he's bang on. This is why Desjardins cut Munoz to sign MacMillan. You can get American LBs far easier than you can find developed Canadian offensive linemen who can play up and down the line.
All-Star

by noback » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:32 pm

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/03/ ... redblacks/

Moton Hopkins re-ups for another year !!
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
Starter

by BigJoeM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 am

QQ One-Nine wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:As much as I like some of the signings the CFL has always been a league short sighted when you need player /fan recognition . Losing EJ to Montreal today was a real downer after two years of Quality play by this man.

Sorry, but I find that too much is being made of this.

For one thing, consider that Jackson signed for only about $10,000 - $120,000 more than he was reported to be making here, and was among the last big name free agents to find a home. I think he overvalued himself and refused to sign only to find that the money was gone when he did realize that a big pay day wasn't coming. He may have lost money on this deal. Good on Marcel for not overpaying. It's that lack of overpaying that enabled him to re-sign something like 15 free agents, even though he seems to be given little credit for it.

Also, people are focused on the losses and ignoring the retention. With the exception of Deane, the entire OLine returns and his replacement is probably already on the roster. Powell returns and if he's not up to speed, then Madu returns with both fullbacks. Pretty sure you're familiar with the Eastern all-star QB. Every defensive lineman but Moton Hopkins and an under-performing Aston Whiteside. Tank Reed, Pruneau, Rose, Gavins...There are plenty of familiar faces on this team.

I don't usually disagree but EJ was one of those guys you need to win . You have to remember that the offensive line signings which is a solid move by the GM is not building the fan base when you lose remarkable players especially a hero of the first Grey Cup win in the last 40 years . It's bad enough you lose Hank B the guy who threw the winning TD but you also lost the go to guy who caught it . That is not good business marketing . You need that name /face recognition after your first GC win . If he signed for so little more that is not only not good for Ottawa but the league as a whole . He deserved better and maybe a little more respect we could of resigned him later .
Veteran

PreviousNext