2017 Free Agents

Re: 2017 Free Agents

by slimjim2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am

BigJoeM wrote:
QQ One-Nine wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:As much as I like some of the signings the CFL has always been a league short sighted when you need player /fan recognition . Losing EJ to Montreal today was a real downer after two years of Quality play by this man.

Sorry, but I find that too much is being made of this.

For one thing, consider that Jackson signed for only about $10,000 - $120,000 more than he was reported to be making here, and was among the last big name free agents to find a home. I think he overvalued himself and refused to sign only to find that the money was gone when he did realize that a big pay day wasn't coming. He may have lost money on this deal. Good on Marcel for not overpaying. It's that lack of overpaying that enabled him to re-sign something like 15 free agents, even though he seems to be given little credit for it.

Also, people are focused on the losses and ignoring the retention. With the exception of Deane, the entire OLine returns and his replacement is probably already on the roster. Powell returns and if he's not up to speed, then Madu returns with both fullbacks. Pretty sure you're familiar with the Eastern all-star QB. Every defensive lineman but Moton Hopkins and an under-performing Aston Whiteside. Tank Reed, Pruneau, Rose, Gavins...There are plenty of familiar faces on this team.

I don't usually disagree but EJ was one of those guys you need to win . You have to remember that the offensive line signings which is a solid move by the GM is not building the fan base when you lose remarkable players especially a hero of the first Grey Cup win in the last 40 years . It's bad enough you lose Hank B the guy who threw the winning TD but you also lost the go to guy who caught it . That is not good business marketing . You need that name /face recognition after your first GC win . If he signed for so little more that is not only not good for Ottawa but the league as a whole . He deserved better and maybe a little more respect we could of resigned him later .

But everyone will remember Ellingson and his last minute catch and run to get to the GC in 2015.
He was also a 1,000 yard receiver again and they had to make a choice, I think the best decision was keeping Ellingson and letting EJ go.
Ideally, would have been to keep both but EJ's agent took the higher offer from the Als.
If you look at Criner, he could be the next EJ, he's like EJ at 6'3" 220 lbs a punishing receiver and made some great catches.
All-Star

Re: 2017 Free Agents

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 am

slimjim2 wrote:
BigJoeM wrote: I don't usually disagree but EJ was one of those guys you need to win . You have to remember that the offensive line signings which is a solid move by the GM is not building the fan base when you lose remarkable players especially a hero of the first Grey Cup win in the last 40 years . It's bad enough you lose Hank B the guy who threw the winning TD but you also lost the go to guy who caught it . That is not good business marketing . You need that name /face recognition after your first GC win . If he signed for so little more that is not only not good for Ottawa but the league as a whole . He deserved better and maybe a little more respect we could of resigned him later .

But everyone will remember Ellingson and his last minute catch and run to get to the GC in 2015.
He was also a 1,000 yard receiver again and they had to make a choice, I think the best decision was keeping Ellingson and letting EJ go.
Ideally, would have been to keep both but EJ's agent took the higher offer from the Als.
If you look at Criner, he could be the next EJ, he's like EJ at 6'3" 220 lbs a punishing receiver and made some great catches.

That's it. I understand Joe's point but I also try to understand the bind that the team is in. We cut Munoz to get back MacMillan. What would we have to do to give in to Jackson's demands? Fans tend to think of it in terms of the money spent while forgetting there's a budget to stick to.

I do wonder if sometimes the team isn't quick to shut the door. For example, sign by this time, or the money's going elsewhere. Similar to what happened with Shawn Lemon. But then, they brought Moton Hopkins back late, so who knows?

Anyway, my point was broader to say that there will still be plenty of familiar faces on that team.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

Previous