Permanent Endzone seats needed with GreyCup bid

Re: Permanent Endzone seats needed with GreyCup bid

by Gub » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:32 pm

I say we wait for a few seasons to see how the attendance is coming along. Just install temporary seats in the end zones for the 2017 Grey Cup.
There is nothing worse than seeing a bunch of empty seats anywhere in the stadium, for those attending the game and for the TV audience.
Football is back in Ottawa! This time it's here to stay!
Practice Squad

by Hank01 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I would have been satisfied with the original tiered seating as promised for both endzones . They would need to put in proper steps to it and safety measures to obtain the look they were originally planning to do and not have a standing room only policy . They allowed them to sit in one of the endzones during the first Saskatchewan game but I noticed security had a hard time with patrons especially those with too much alcohol . So I figure that liability is the reason they did not allow the 500 extra patrons at the east final to sit on the grass on the hill in the endzone .

With all the action bud zone etc at the other end zone they need to amp up the east endzone in order for people to buy into the east area north stands which are the hardest to sell .

I have been to many stadiums NFL and CFL the endzones as long as it its not huge(CFL) do get purchased and many times they have long time customers who prefer to sit there .

Just a note the southside upper deck did have roof on it I know I sat there many a rainy day and night so I am not buying the tradition thing most people hate the sun in there eyes and hate getting wet and cold .
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Hank01 wrote:

I have been to many stadiums NFL and CFL the endzones as long as it its not huge(CFL) do get purchased and many times they have long time customers who prefer to sit there .

Just a note the southside upper deck did have roof on it I know I sat there many a rainy day and night so I am not buying the tradition thing most people hate the sun in there eyes and hate getting wet and cold .

The problem with CFL end zone seats is that you are too far away form the action. At least in the NFL with the 10 yard end zones the fans in the end zones are only just over 10 yards from the goal line. In the CFL you are 20 yards plus a minimum of another 6 yards run off. In soccer too them "end zone" seats are right behind the goal and fans are on top of the goal.
I like the idea at THF with the patio/bar area behind both end zones, I don't like to see empty end zone bleacher seats.
All-Star

by Hank01 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Agree with you about size . It's a preferred taste and price point that's why you keep it small 500 to 900 . The endzone seats at McGill were always full because of price point . Now one is strictly a party area I get that .

The one endzone at THF Hamilton is terrible with the roped off chesterfields (Canadian eh) with a waitress and calling it a high end location to party will die off when the novelty wears off . It looks cheap . If it was positioned high up with a roof even an awning of some sort it would make some sense but I think these are corporate giveaways anyhow and the tigercats are not in position yet to change it .

As far as the west end zone they would sell easy as this is the main party central at TD Place and everyone congregates at this location . Right now I wouldn't put seats there and start to focus and building up the east end zone with varied concessions and add seats to the already built end zone hill within the stadium for over flow . You don't need the PR sell outs now the streak is over they will still be many more SO but not when it's a regular season rainy day against a non rival team . The two corners on the south side seem to fill up alright . I sat there once won't again because of the view but others like it .

I guess my biggest point is the Redblacks organization know they are heavily focused on one area the west end
zone since they started and need to realign it's focus and balance the stadium by doing something to the east end .
At least get another board up at the other end so you don't have to crank your neck for replays.
All-Star

by mick87 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:41 pm

I say we wait for a few seasons to see how the attendance is coming along.

Yup. Attendance is down across the league; let's make sure ours stays strong. Year 3 will be a good indication of interest in Ottawa. The novelty has worn off for the casual fan, however we had an unbelievable season. Let's see if that translates into ticket sales.
I read somewhere that seasons tickets sales are ahead of last years pace. It would be nice to get back to the 17,000 we had in season 1. (Hoping for 18,000 :rockin: )
Rookie

by rcon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 pm

mick87 wrote:
I say we wait for a few seasons to see how the attendance is coming along.

Yup. Attendance is down across the league; let's make sure ours stays strong. Year 3 will be a good indication of interest in Ottawa. The novelty has worn off for the casual fan, however we had an unbelievable season. Let's see if that translates into ticket sales.
I read somewhere that seasons tickets sales are ahead of last years pace. It would be nice to get back to the 17,000 we had in season 1. (Hoping for 18,000 :rockin: )

Renewed my 2 season tickets already and may need to get 2 more.
All-Star

by Hank01 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:31 am

Picked up two should have grabbed two more looking forward to next year .
All-Star

by mick87 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:32 pm

We renewed our 2 tickets, looking for a third if space permits..
Rookie

by QQ One-Nine » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:02 am

Interesting. God Holder of The Citizen posted a picture from TD Place. The hill backing against the Bank Street endzone is being removed. Speculation is, of course, that it's for additional seating.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by mick87 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:27 pm

The hill backing against the Bank Street endzone is being removed. Speculation is, of course, that it's for additional seating.

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/16-new-in-16/

#16: All New View
In an effort to make the atmosphere at TD Place even better, we’ve expanded our seating to a new location in the west end zone!
Rookie

by Hank01 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Not being negative here but do they have time to build permanent end zone seats before July .

I hope they are doing it right and not using metal bleachers .

Look forward to seeing the changes .The 16 in 16 promo is fantastic PR . Love the new ideas beer, food, store etc... .

Can't wait . :rockin:
All-Star

by mick87 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Not being negative here but do they have time to build permanent end zone seats before July .

I'm wondering the same thing. Seems like a pretty short time frame to build something to match the concrete structure that curves around on the south side. I'm guessing perhaps temporary seating to evaluate the potential of end zones seats at the stadium.
Behind the goal seats are often very popular at soccer games, maybe this decision has more to do with the Fury?
Rookie

by mick87 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 pm

More information here: http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/redblacks-add-experience-zone-to-td-place

Seems more along the lines of patio, not unlike the one at Tim Horton's Field.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:18 am

mick87 wrote:More information here: http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/redblacks-add-experience-zone-to-td-place

Seems more along the lines of patio, not unlike the one at Tim Horton's Field.

I'm glad they aren't putting in concrete or steel bleachers, a nice patio area where fans can sit on high tops or stand is the way to go.

The steep grass area just past the west end-zone of the football field at TD Place stadium was gone Thursday.

Randy Burgess, vice-president of communications and fan experience for Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group, said it would be replaced by a new fan “experience zone” adding 100-150 spots to the 24,000-seat capacity of the stadium.

Besides high-top tables on a platform slightly above ground level, the new area will include a middle layer of display space and a drink rail beside the nearby walkway, similar to one outside the east end-zone. Access will require game tickets specifically for that area.

The grass hill could never have been safely used for fan seating because of its severe pitch, Burgess said.

They also state that they won't be able to use that end for temp seats for the Grey Cup because of height restrictions.
The East end zone doesn't have any restrictions
All-Star

by Hank01 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:56 am

Two party decks . Hopefully it will look good and not like an afterthought . It does sound like they copied Tim Horton's field .

With the west end having such a large gathering it makes sense to go this route . The first deck should have some height to get a better view downfield . The second deck having rail seats is a good idea .

Next year they can do something with the East end and the Grey Cup .
All-Star

PreviousNext