Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by QQ One-Nine » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Surprised, I didn't realize he was quite that old.

Horn Chen, who owned the Ottawa Rough Riders for two seasons – 1995-96 – died on Monday in Illinois. He was 83.

While owning the Rough Riders, Chen was invisible – he never saw the team play – and at the time, the Ottawa Sun hired a private detective to find him to make sure there actually was a Horn Chen. Turns out he was real and he admitted in an interview later that he “made a mistake” by buying a CFL team. Horn also owned the rights to the name, Rough Riders.

Chen, a minority owner of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, owned several minor-league hockey teams along the way, founding the Central Hockey League in 1992.

While he owned the Rough Riders, the team finished with a record of 3-15 both seasons, before folding Nov. 6 of 1996 with Revenue Canada freezing the franchise's assets.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Re: Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by Ottawa_Rough_Riders » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Did Chen still own the name and logo ? For some reason, I remember hearing that Ithe CFL or OSEG had re-aquired the Rough Riders name and logo. Anyone know ?
Knock Em Cold, In the Cold ! (Jack Gotta circa 1973)

Image
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Did Chen still own the name and logo ? For some reason, I remember hearing that Ithe CFL or OSEG had re-aquired the Rough Riders name and logo. Anyone know ?


I thought the league had acquired it too.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Re: Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by noback » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:45 am

CRFadmin wrote:
Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Did Chen still own the name and logo ? For some reason, I remember hearing that Ithe CFL or OSEG had re-aquired the Rough Riders name and logo. Anyone know ?


I thought the league had acquired it too.


To my recollection, Horn Chen does still own the RR rights and Logo plus team uniforms and equipment.
He was holding it up for $150K ransom the year before the Renegades came to play.

I believe Hunt wanted to buy it back but the cry-babies out in Saskatchewan (who stole our name in the first place) wont let TWO teams play with the same team nickname, so he never perused it further and here came the REDBLACKS 8)
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Re: Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by ride80 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:44 pm

noback wrote:
CRFadmin wrote:
Ottawa_Rough_Riders wrote:Did Chen still own the name and logo ? For some reason, I remember hearing that Ithe CFL or OSEG had re-aquired the Rough Riders name and logo. Anyone know ?


I thought the league had acquired it too.


To my recollection, Horn Chen does still own the RR rights and Logo plus team uniforms and equipment.
He was holding it up for $150K ransom the year before the Renegades came to play.

I believe Hunt wanted to buy it back but the cry-babies out in Saskatchewan (who stole our name in the first place) wont let TWO teams play with the same team nickname, so he never perused it further and here came the REDBLACKS 8)


Nope. You're wrong. CFL owns it.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmr ... exOnPage=1
Starter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 am

Re: Former Rough Riders Owner Horn Chen Dies

by noback » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:24 pm

well there you have it 8)
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:32 pm


Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests