2016 Season Transactions

Re: 2016 Season Transactions

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Signed Mitchell White today.

When the Montreal Alouettes asked Mitchell White to take a $30,000 paycut a couple of months ago, that set the wheels in motion toward him becoming an Ottawa Redblack.

White, a two-year starter at defensive back with the Alouettes, refused the salary squeeze and was cut by the Alouettes following training camp. The Redblacks announced on Sunday they had signed the 26-year-old, who was at a brief team on-field walk-through in the morning.

“I missed free agency because I wanted to deal (with the Alouettes) — they were my first team,” said White. “I gave them the opportunity and they rose to the occasion and gave me the number I wanted. Basically at the end of training camp, they asked me to give their signing bonus back. I didn’t feel it was right or warranted, to say the least. They tried to tell me most guys take a paycut in this league. I felt like I was young and talented enough that I’d land somewhere so I didn’t really flinch. Sometimes the business gets in the way, that’s what happens.”

White returned to Houston, hoping he’d be back in the CFL.

“I had a few calls every week,” he said. “Every team that called, they were just kind of feeling me out, getting my information. Thankfully, Ottawa pulled the trigger. I couldn’t ask for a better situation. I knew some of the guys in the (Redblacks) front office from Montreal, meeting with those guys gave me a breath of fresh air — it’s a new opportunity. They’re ripping the league up right now.”

On Saturday, the Redblacks announced they had released defensive lineman Matt Acree and defensive back Brandon Sermons.

“We have to make choices and sometimes we have to move on from people we may not necessarily want to at the time,” said GM Marcel Desjardins. “We’re always looking to upgrade. We’ve switched out Brandon for Mitchell.”

White is already feeling at home in Ottawa.

“They have a really good thing going, they know what I can bring to the table and I’m just looking forward to helping out,” he said. “If they ask me to go play special teams this week, I’m going to go play as hard as I can and the best that I can. If they ask me to start the game, I feel confident I can step in and play. I told them, ‘There are certain things as a professional I believe I can do for you — I’m going to know what to do, I’m going to make plays given the opportunity and I’m going to run to the ball.’ Those are things every single week you’re going to see from me, in my opinion.

“One of the things I want to do — and I have not been able to accomplish in football – is win the championship. More than any other team in this league, they have a chance to do that.”
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Mitchell Price's signing overshadowed another a bit; DE Darzil Washington.

Honestly though, usually when you read about a guy you can kind of see what the team was thinking. But with this dude, I'm not sure I get the appeal.

EDGARD — When recent news reports came out that former West St. John linebacker Darzil Washington had been invited to the Seattle Seahawks’ rookie camp last week, a lot of River Parishes folks might have said, “who?”

Former Rams coach Robert Valdez understands.

“He’s not a household name,” said Valdez, now the head coach at St. James High. “Darzil’s story is not one that goes from page one to page two. Darzil’s story is more like Star Wars. It goes all over the place and you just have to wait for the next episode to come out every once in a while.”

Washington certainly took a circuitous path to his shot at an NFL career.

A native of Edgard, Washington attended Hahnville High School as a junior then transferred to West St. John as a senior. Coming in late and joining a roster of notable athletes such as Austin Howard and Ronnie Fiest, Washington got overshadowed. Plus, Valdez said, he didn’t quite know where to put him.

“He played inside linebacker, outside linebacker. We tried him all over the place,” Valdez said. “He wasn’t really big enough to be a defensive end and he was kind of little to be a linebacker. He was a tweener. He just had to find his niche.”

Washington earned first team All-District honors his senior year in 2012. He had 123 tackles, including 30 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, five forced fumbles and three interceptions, two for touchdowns. He also was high on the recruiting lists.

He signed out of high school with Texas A&M, but Valdez said he wasn’t happy there after a redshirt season.

“It wasn’t what he thought it would be,” Valdez said.

Valdez convinced him to look at Hawaii

“Why not go play in paradise?” Valdez said. “He took a trip there and signed, but never went to school there. I guess that was just too far for a Louisiana boy.”

Instead, Washington spent one year at Eastern Arizona Junior College in Arizona and another at East Los Angeles College in California. The latter was cut short by an injury.

He finished his junior college career with 32 tackles and six sacks.

In 2014, he finally landed at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette — his sixth school in six years.

“(Former assistant) Coach Timmy Rebowe had recruited him out of high school and really loved him,” Valdez explained. “He got him to go to ULL, but they made him no promises. They told him he would have to compete.”

It was a struggle. Washington’s first season was noted for his lack of football shape and a lengthy benching while clearing academic hurdles.

By his senior season, he was all caught up. As a 6-foot-3, 243-pound senior, Washington played in nine games, recording 17 tackles and two sacks. He had a season-high seven tackles, including a sack, against South Alabama.

Washington’s long journey now has taken him to Seattle, where he took part in the Seahawks’ rookie mini-camp, which ended Sunday. One summary on the team’s web site called him out by name, reporting he had “seemed to get in the backfield a lot.”

Now he has to wait out the results and hope for a roster spot.

Valdez, for one, is rooting for him.

“I’m really happy for him and for his family,” Valdez said. “He’s a very talented kid. He has a lot of athletic ability.

So he's been all over the place and didn't particularly stand out at any of them. The only thing I can see is that he sounds versatile. Practice squad guy so low risk anyway.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Three changes in the defensive backfield- Mitchell White gets the start tomorrow along with Hightower and Gavins both back from injury.
No changes on offense

http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp ... 5_SASK.pdf
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:14 pm

That didn't take long. dude was only here a week or two.

July 27, 2016
RELEASED international defensive lineman Darzil Washington (Louisiana-Lafayette)
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:59 am

Burris will get the start on Sunday, Harris day to day

http://www.tsn.ca/burris-returns-from-i ... s-1.533601
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:05 am

slimjim2 wrote:Burris will get the start on Sunday, Harris day to day

http://www.tsn.ca/burris-returns-from-i ... s-1.533601

Oy, I hope they're not rushing him. He hardly throws the prettiest pass as it is. If he struggles with getting a proper grip...

Or maybe he finally WILL throw a spiral! :lol:
All-Star

by mick87 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm

REDBLACKS release:

QB Brett Smith
LB Malik Jackson
LB Julian Gener
OL Randy Beardy

Although I thought I read that Ottawa just signed Julian Gener.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 am

mick87 wrote:REDBLACKS release:

QB Brett Smith
LB Malik Jackson
LB Julian Gener
OL Randy Beardy

Brett Smith released? maybe the Als will pick him up now that they have released Bridge.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:45 pm

mick87 wrote:REDBLACKS release:

QB Brett Smith
LB Malik Jackson
LB Julian Gener
OL Randy Beardy

They announced this incorrectly. Gener was signed, not released.

I will never understand why they keep O'Brien around. Never ever ever ever. At least they had enough sense to move Jensen ahead of him. Was Smith that incapable of grasping the offense? Blows my mind.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:47 pm

And on August 3rd (I've been away).

SIGNED international linebacker Serderius Bryant (Mississippi), added to practice roster

You may have seen a portion on an article about him. This is the dude that blew up Matt Carter in pre-season last year and concussed him.
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Here's what I was talking about:

Football fans here might remember the name Serderius Bryant from a year ago. In a pre-season game against the Tiger-Cats, Bryant, a linebacker then playing for Hamilton, walloped Redblacks receiver Matt Carter, who had gone up for a pass, under the chin. Carter, who suffered a concussion, never returned and retired following the season. Bryant is now a Redblack, signed on Wednesday and he has a message for Ottawa fans: “I want to let everybody in Ottawa know that I’m not a dirty player. I was so hungry because I didn’t get a chance in the NFL. I felt disrespected because of all the stuff I did in college so I wanted to come up here and make a name for myself. I guess that wasn’t the right way to do it. I got a penalty from that hit and I got another penalty that same game on the sideline. The next game, (the Ticats) let me go. I was always taught to lead with my helmet, now it’s something I have to change, I have to hit with my shoulder pads.”

The 24-year-old Bryant said the Redblacks reached out to him a week ago.

“They called me back on Sunday and asked me if I was ready,” he said. “I told them, ‘Yes, get me the plane ticket.’ I was home in Orlando. I’ve been out of football a year. I’ve been training — trying to get my body right so I can look good enough to play football. I heard back in the day, I didn’t look like a linebacker, I looked like a butterball.

“I feel like I’ve got it in me to play football. This is what I love to do. When you’re away from it, it makes you hungry and eager to get back on the field. I have fresh legs, I’m 100% and I’m injury free. This is a great opportunity.”

Great coaching. :roll:

Now when you look him up, there's video of him throwing a punch during a game and apparently he was ejected once for targeting. You don't want to be known as a dirty player, but you know...
All-Star

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Missed one from about a week ago:

OTT ADD INT Paul HAZEL (DL) Western Michigan

Argos castoff. Hoping that lightning strikes twice after hitting with Whiteside last year, I guess.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:31 pm

QQ One-Nine wrote:Missed one from about a week ago:

OTT ADD INT Paul HAZEL (DL) Western Michigan

Argos castoff. Hoping that lightning strikes twice after hitting with Whiteside last year, I guess.

He was on the field Friday night, don't know how he did.
All-Star

by mick87 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:07 pm

He was on the field Friday night, don't know how he did.

He did almost have a pick on Reilly at some point, I believe it was fairly early in the game. Otherwise, I didn't notice much.
Rookie

by mick87 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:09 pm

REDBLACKS also added DL Aaron Karlen last week.
Rookie

PreviousNext