2016 Season Transactions

Re: 2016 Season Transactions

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:59 am

The team has brought back DE Marlon Smith.

That's not bad, actually. I didn't think he did much but when I saw his highlight reel a while back, he was far more productive than I'd thought. And he knows most of the guys already.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by mick87 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:30 am

The #REDBLACKS have signed linebacker Taylor Reed.

Great pick up. Maybe move Boyett to FS where he belongs.
Rookie

by mick87 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:43 am

Also, wasn't posted here, but I'm sure most have heard:

The #REDBLACKS have released WR Alex Pierzchalski and S Jermaine Robinson.

REDBLACKS also signed Tchissakid Dre Player (OL) to the practice roster and have been working out Sergio
Castillo (K/P)
Rookie

by QQ One-Nine » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 pm

mick87 wrote:Also, wasn't posted here, but I'm sure most have heard:

The #REDBLACKS have released WR Alex Pierzchalski and S Jermaine Robinson.

REDBLACKS also signed Tchissakid Dre Player (OL) to the practice roster and have been working out Sergio
Castillo (K/P)

Yeah, I was away at a cottage for the week, then found out I can't post from work anymore so I'll be a little limited going forward. Drag.

So let's lay it out:

Sept 9th:
- RELEASED international defensive back Jermaine Robinson (Toledo)
- RELEASED national receiver Alex Pierzchalski (Toronto)

Sept 11th:
- SIGNED international kicker Sergio Castillo (West Texas A&M), added to practice roster
- RELEASED interntational defensive back Julian Gener (Hawaii) from practice roster

Sep 12th:
- SIGNED national offensive lineman Tchissakid Player (Northwestern State), added to practice roster

Sept 13th:
- SIGNED international linebacker Taylor Reed (Southern Methodist), added to active roster

Surprised about Robinson. I don't always get this team's approach. Some guys get demoted but several have been cut outright out of nowhere. David Hinds comes to mind too. Capable of starting several games, yet suddenly deemed useless. But maybe they're offered practice squad spots that they turn down, I don't know.

As for Pierzchalski, the only contribution he's made was missing blocks and taking penalties. I recall that Saskatchewan fans were bummed about losing and I was really hoping he would shine but he got passed over by Harty in no time. Scott MacDonnell might want to get his resume updated soon too. And Jamill Smith (again) for that matter.

They say Castillo was NOT signed to send a message but...The two kickers right now are a little unreliable and Pfeffer can't stay healthy. It also sounds like Pfeffer caused the team to get fined. This guy is beyond useless.

T-Dre Player (best name ever) I'm curious about. A 2nd round pick of BC in 2014, but was on the Winnipeg and Sask rosters very briefly. Not sure what's going on there but low risk, high potential reward.

Taylor Reed! Dude was out of a job about all of 18 hours. Maybe this means Munoz back to the outside, Boyett replacing Nick Taylor on the other side (Pruneau's old gig) and Pruneau at safety for good. They're saying that Jeff Richards is taking snaps at safety too, but also that Mikhael Charland is due to return soon so they may have an opportunity to go all-Canadian at safety.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:51 am

The Reed pick up 5 days before the Stamps game in Calgary was a great move. They get a guy that knows the Stamps Offense, he's lined up against them every day in practice.
This team seems to make a lot of moves when the "D" falters.
All-Star

by mick87 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:26 pm

#Redblacks have released Cdn linebacker Jonathan Bealieu-Richard. #CFL
Rookie

by mick87 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Surprised about Robinson. I don't always get this team's approach. Some guys get demoted but several have been cut outright out of nowhere. David Hinds comes to mind too. Capable of starting several games, yet suddenly deemed useless. But maybe they're offered practice squad spots that they turn down, I don't know.

As for Pierzchalski, the only contribution he's made was missing blocks and taking penalties. I recall that Saskatchewan fans were bummed about losing and I was really hoping he would shine but he got passed over by Harty in no time. Scott MacDonnell might want to get his resume updated soon too. And Jamill Smith (again) for that matter.

They say Castillo was NOT signed to send a message but...The two kickers right now are a little unreliable and Pfeffer can't stay healthy. It also sounds like Pfeffer caused the team to get fined. This guy is beyond useless.

T-Dre Player (best name ever) I'm curious about. A 2nd round pick of BC in 2014, but was on the Winnipeg and Sask rosters very briefly. Not sure what's going on there but low risk, high potential reward.

Taylor Reed! Dude was out of a job about all of 18 hours. Maybe this means Munoz back to the outside, Boyett replacing Nick Taylor on the other side (Pruneau's old gig) and Pruneau at safety for good. They're saying that Jeff Richards is taking snaps at safety too, but also that Mikhael Charland is due to return soon so they may have an opportunity to go all-Canadian at safety.

I was a little surprised by the outright release of Robinson too. Maybe something going on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. I'll be interested to see what the starting line-up looks like for Saturday. I'd bet Pruneau gets the start at safety. I hope he's learned to tackle again.

T-Dre Player, could be a great pick up, could be nothing. Never hurts to have some additional o-lineman around.
Rookie

by mick87 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:50 pm

AJ Jakubec is reporting that Juron Criner is taking first team reps this week and will likely start his first CFL game on Saturday. Anybody know who he'll replace? Paden?
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:54 am

mick87 wrote:AJ Jakubec is reporting that Juron Criner is taking first team reps this week and will likely start his first CFL game on Saturday. Anybody know who he'll replace? Paden?

If you look at the depth chart for the last few games it would have to be Paden.
All-Star

by mick87 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:22 am

If you look at the depth chart for the last few games it would have to be Paden.

Yep. Criner looked pretty good too. One of the few bright spots on Saturday. 4 cathes for 91 yards, should have had a TD if Harris hadn't missed him.
Rookie

by mick87 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:01 am

Sept 20th:

SIGNED: INT RB Shadrach Thornton
SIGNED: INT DL Sammy Brown
SIGNED: NAT RB Brandon Deschamps
SIGNED: INT LB Anthony Harrell

Nothing very exciting here as far as I can tell.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:42 am

Travon Van is questionable for Friday and it looks like they are activating Mosus Madu.
Ottawa has the worst luck with tailbacks.

Whiteside finally back at DE so maybe some pass rush on Levefour.
All-Star

by mick87 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Travon Van is questionable for Friday and it looks like they are activating Mosus Madu.
Ottawa has the worst luck with tailbacks.

Whiteside finally back at DE so maybe some pass rush on Levefour.

Yes, some fairly major changes to the starting lineup this week.

Van is not looking likely as of this afternoon, still feeling the effects of a stinger from Saturday. I really question why they don't give LaFrance the start. Madu hasn't taken a hit in 2 years ... my gut tells me we'll see LaFrance in the game before halftime.
The O-Line, which has been massively inconsistent, loses Deane, replaced by Mateas, who played on the left side in college. Albright takes RG after Mateas moves over. I fully expected to see Silas at right tackle this game, but he lines up behind Lauzon-Seguin. I see the right side of the line being weak and not much of an improvement for Harris and Madu. The only bright side is that MacMillan dresses and slides in behind Mateas on the depth chart. Hopefully he'll be healthy enough to start at RT next week. I would love for the O-Line to prove me wrong.
Criner stays in this week; hopefully Harris can hit him a few times when he's open downfield.

D-Line is looking good, Whiteside back in at DE along with Williams; Evans and Hopkins at tackles. I expect good things from them. Gascon-Nadon not showing on the depth chart, maybe next week?
Taylor Reed gets the start at MLB, which pushes Munoz weakside along with Gavins strongside. Maybe looking for some contain on LeFevour from Gavins as he's not exactly built like a linebacker, but quick. Boyett out :( . Pruneau takes back his spot at safety.

Smith in for T. Jackson at KR/PR. Too bad, Jackson was starting to look good. Castillo stays in too.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:29 am

Things are quiet on here. Smith in for T Jackson, that turned out to be a good move.
I only saw the highlights, I had to give away my tickets on Friday night because we were travelling in the US.
This weekend I can watch the games on ESPN3
All-Star

by mick87 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:41 am

Smith in for T Jackson, that turned out to be a good move

Yeah, that turned out pretty well. One of the few exciting plays of the game. REDBLACKS continue to struggle in a big way in the redzone. When playing an offensively impotent team like the Argos, field goals may be enough, but against B.C. this week, they MUST turn some of those into TDs.
Chris Milo was money, great performance for him.
Defense looked very good to me, lots of pressure (albeit no sacks), tackling was excellent. Special teams was also great, with the exception of the blocked punt.
The loss or SirV for the season is another major blow to the struggling O-line. MacMillan comes back, sounds like Deane will be back too. That should help a little. Early indications are that Lauzon-Seguin will take the all important LT spot.
Rookie

Previous