2017 Training Camp

Re: 2017 Training Camp

by okie » Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 am

Post on the interwebs saying that 5' 9" 177lbs WR/KR Deandre Reaves from Marshall is an Alouette.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 am

idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:So far Kavis Reed seems to be taking the approach that open tryouts are inefficient because in essence with so many American players out there, they will come to him. For example a agent can suggest a player, and Kavis Reed will sign him. That happened this off-season in the case of Desmond Cooper and Cory Tucker. Can you rely on the most talented free agents coming to you and asking you for a job?

I ask this because normally, CFL teams will sign players who have had a cup of coffee in the NFL. A number of the Als signings appear to be below lowly rated which is: not even on the radar.

To be fair they did hold open tryouts in Florida and this weekend in Texas. And really aren`t open tryouts also free agents coming to you and asking you for a job?

And the Florida mini-camp would have given the team an idea of any missing links.

In any case we`ll know shortly at training camp how qualified the rookie Internationals are.

There is a diminishing return on these open tryouts. Between all leagues, you have over 50 professional football teams conducting multiple of these things every year.

I think the league could save a pile of money allowing each team to place 200 players on their individual neg list. Allowing the list to change twice a year. Players who appear on multiple team's submission would be entered into a draft once a year. So if four teams want the same guy, teams have to draft for them. Would make sure there is a cost to teams who are locking up players as a nuisance to other teams.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 am

okie wrote:Post on the interwebs saying that 5' 9" 177lbs WR/KR Deandre Reaves from Marshall is an Alouette.

I like that signing A LOT. If he's willing to spend a year around Logan, this could be a great investment.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Voici un gars qui a vraiment besoin d'un bon camp, et il peut l'avoir!

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/05/16/boris-bede-a-tourne-la-page
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm

I`m afraid after last season my feeling on Bede is that he is guilty until proven innocent. The team better have a competent Plan B kicker at camp.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by okie » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Jacques Chapdelaine was asked about the ratio during the pre-season conference call this morning. He said when the team is utilizing the 4-3 on defense, the Als will play 2 non-import DT's. When they are in the 3-4, one of the DT's will come out and be replaced by a Canadian LB. On offense, there will be three non-imports on the line with both tackles being American. The other Canadians would be one receiver + fullback in certain situations. On obvious passing downs, the Als will utilize 2 non-import receivers.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/stor ... 770de40445
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Thu May 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Injuries and other situations can change the ratio and/ or dictate how many Int. players will play certain positions, but I will not be surprised if only 3 Int. WR's dress for games; 4 could be on the active roster, but only 3 may play.

Given that the S will be filled by an Int. player and that there are not too many Nat. DB's on roster, as many as 6 Int. DB's could dress for a game. 4 Int. LB's dressing is also an option. Will 2 RB's dress? Answers that will be know in the next month or so.

Quite anxious for the beginning of training camp.

Richard
All-Star

by GHT120 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm

idealsheldon wrote:I`m afraid after last season my feeling on Bede is that he is guilty until proven innocent. The team better have a competent Plan B kicker at camp.

Many kickers, CFL or NFL, seem to often have wild fluctuations in their performance from year-to-year.
Hopefully Bede has at lest the same uptick as he did downslide last year.
All-Star

by okie » Sat May 20, 2017 1:57 pm

-QB Josh Freeman is at the open tryout in Texas.

-John Bowman supposedly lost 30lbs and is down to 248lbs. (Okay, but the team website has always listed him at 250lbs.)

-Recently released QB Greg McGhee is now with the Green Bay Blizzard in the IFL.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat May 20, 2017 3:56 pm

okie wrote:-QB Josh Freeman is at the open tryout in Texas.

-John Bowman supposedly lost 30lbs and is down to 248lbs. (Okay, but the team website has always listed him at 250lbs.)

-Recently released QB Greg McGhee is now with the Green Bay Blizzard in the IFL.

http://gazettereview.com/2016/09/happen ... s-updates/
Hall of Famer

by okie » Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 pm

If the Als pass on Josh Freeman, he (and most everyone else there today) will probably show up at the Rider tryout tomorrow which is about an hour away.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat May 20, 2017 4:46 pm

okie wrote:If the Als pass on Josh Freeman, he (and most everyone else there today) will probably show up at the Rider tryout tomorrow which is about an hour away.

Maybe Freeman is on the Als neg list.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Could be, but the Als could also just drop him off if they are no longer interested.

There are 2 pictures of Josh Freeman from today. One of them makes him seem heavy. Other one makes him look thin. The much smaller player next to Freeman wearing #74 is RB Kody Sutton from Southeastern Louisiana.

All-Star

by GHT120 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:33 pm

okie wrote:Could be, but the Als could also just drop him off if they are no longer interested.

There are 2 pictures of Josh Freeman from today. One of them makes him seem heavy. Other one makes him look thin. The much smaller player next to Freeman wearing #74 is RB Kody Sutton from Southeastern Louisiana.

The "bigger" one is in a jersey that seems much looser than the "thinner" one; so I wouldn't worry too much about weight.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun May 21, 2017 1:24 pm

okie wrote:Could be, but the Als could also just drop him off if they are no longer interested.

Looks in great shape. I think the first shot is just the way the t-shirt sits.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext