2017 Training Camp

Re: 2017 Training Camp

by HfxTC » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't see a problem with the Als looking at players in the Arena league. Vermont was the best team in the league in their first season and lots of big school players end up in that league. So creating relationships with their staff and recruiting is a good thing.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes I agree. Many great CFL players have come from the Arena league even the aforementioned Ricky Ray. Bowman came indirectly from the old Indoor Football League. Heck even Kurt Warner tried to get recruited to CFL while in the AFL but got no offers.
There have been dozens of CFL players via the AFL route.

Linking with Vermont is a very good move in my mind.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Billy Parker and Jerald Brown
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 pm

The Can-Am Indoor Football League is not quite the old Arena Football League.

And Bowman, Ray, Parker, Brown were how many years ago? Any more recent names? I can only think of Brian Brikowski.

The point I was trying to make is if you have limited resources you hold tryout camps in football hotbeds like Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas (which they`re doing), not Vermont. Can you name a pro player who came from Vermont?

And if the object was to get new customers from the area, an excellent idea, you do some marketing.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 pm

The old Arena league is dead... Most of those guys don't come from Vermont anyway.

Ronald Fields
DB
6'3
Texas A&M Commerce
NFL-Cowboys

CJ Jones
DB
6'1
Clemson University

Boomer Richardson
LB
6'2
Georgia Tech

Lots of good football players in that league.

http://canamifl.com/rosters/boston-blaze-roster.html
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Hufnagel moved up in the draft to get an Arena League guy in the first round...

"John Hufnagel was up to his usual tricks on Sunday, pulling off a trade that saw the Calgary Stampeders move up in the CFL draft and selecting a 26-year-old who was nowhere near the top of most mock drafts.

After dealing the No. 8 and No. 34 overall picks to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in exchange for the No. 6 pick only minutes earlier, the Stamps GM selected Randy Colling, a 26-year-old defensive lineman who only recently obtained Canadian citizenship.

“(Colling) got into the draft a little later than everyone else did, but he graduated a few years ago and had a very productive college career and then went and played Arena football and was an all-star in that league,” Hufnagel said."
All-Star

by jamie » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 pm

And of course this means nothing with respect to Vermont. Someone asked name one player from Vermont.
I have no idea why I even know this other than I've been a Raider fan forever. Just a useless piece of trivia.

Steve Wisniewski- NFL...1990's all decade O-Line guy was from Vermont
All-Star

by okie » Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 am

Three of the possible seven Vermont Bucks the Als invited are:

-Kelvin Amparo 6'4" 210lbs from North Shore College. He is listed as a WR/DB, but his hightlights show him as a RB/DE.
-Tevin Connor 5'8" 165lbs DB with no college listed.
-Brandon Rowe 6'3" 203lbs WR from Lincoln University.

I see QB Josh Straughan is on the Bucks' roster. Straughan was in the Eskimo mini-camp just a few weeks ago. Anyway, the positive of giving these guys invites is that they are actively playing professionally, are in football condition, and are located relatively close to Montreal. Negative is that for the most part, others did not consider these players as being prospects to play at the highest level.

The RB Brandon Byrd who attended Marshall eventually transferred to the NAIA school Cumberland. He is not to be confused with Brandin Byrd who is also a RB but went to North Texas.

Luc Brodeur-Jourdain was interviewed earlier today. Obviously, he thought of himself as being the starting Center. In his opinion, playing beside him at RG will be either be Philip Blake or Philippe Gagnon.

In a Kavis Reed interview, he said the reason for moves made this off-season was to get the team younger.

To the question of the ratio, it sure looks to me that if the Als are not confortable enough to go non-import at WILL LB, they are going to start 2 Canadian receivers.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue May 16, 2017 4:29 am

Kavis comments make no sense. Every player he signed was as old or older than the player he's replacing.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 am

okie wrote:Luc Brodeur-Jourdain was interviewed earlier today. Obviously, he thought of himself as being the starting Center. In his opinion, playing beside him at RG will be either be Philip Blake or Philippe Gagnon.

To the question of the ratio, it sure looks to me that if the Als are not confortable enough to go non-import at WILL LB, they are going to start 2 Canadian receivers.

Dans cet article, l'idée de faire jouer un secondeur canadien n'est pas une certitude.

http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/jacques-chapdelaine-on-a-une-responsabilite-envers-les-partisans-alouettes-1.4507024

Chapdelaine a dit que le fait de faire jouer 2 joueurs canadiens en défensive permettrait aux Alouettes de faire jouer 3 américains à la ligne offensive. Je ne vois pas comment il y parviendra, sinon en faisant jouer 2 canadiens à ligne offensive, et soit 3 receveurs ou 2 receveurs et un demi offensif. J'ai l'impression que la langue lui a fourchée.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 am

LeStaf wrote:
http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/jacques-chapdelaine-on-a-une-responsabilite-envers-les-partisans-alouettes-1.4507024

Chapdelaine a dit que le fait de faire jouer 2 joueurs canadiens en défensive permettrait aux Alouettes de faire jouer 3 américains à la ligne offensive. Je ne vois pas comment il y parviendra, sinon en faisant jouer 2 canadiens à ligne offensive, et soit 3 receveurs ou 2 receveurs et un demi offensif. J'ai l'impression que la langue lui a fourchée.

As I wrote last night, if you listen to the interview Chapdelaine said two Americans on the o-line, not three. Whoever transcribed it on the RDS website changed it to three.

All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Tue May 16, 2017 12:03 pm

RDS will need a new translator. Never were 3 Int. OL mentioned. The interview ended with Jacques saying that the changes/playing of 2 Nat. on defence will enable them to play 2 Int. OL.

With the signings mentioned by okie, the Als will definitely have to release some of the players listed on May 1st roster; to me, they then could add 8 more players,excluding the non-counters/draft picks.. With the DL previously mentioned by okie, a K/P plus the latest signings on last weekend, the additions could be more than 8; if so, players had to be released but they remain unknown to us.

Richard
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm

The question is can there be a tryout camp next Wed. for all these names being mentioned as being invited but not appearing to be signed? This would be over and above the actual rookie camp. And the unsigned guys would presumably not be allowed to practice with the signed ones.

I am of course curious to see how competitive the International rookies will be, and would love to know which ones are Mackers and which are Poppers. Something we probably won`t know unless they make the team.

All-Star

by okie » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 am

I thought Rookie camp consisted of a number of players who are not officially signed. We shall see.

The 3 new import receivers; they could be from Popp as he probably noticed Danny Anthrop while watching Vernon Adams play in the East-West Shrine Game. TJ Graham and Tobias Palmer were teammates in Popp's backyard (North Carolina State) in 2011. They were the top two receivers for the team that year. Graham returned kicks that year. After Graham left in 2012, Palmer then took on kick returns.

So far Kavis Reed seems to be taking the approach that open tryouts are inefficient because in essence with so many American players out there, they will come to him. For example a agent can suggest a player, and Kavis Reed will sign him. That happened this off-season in the case of Desmond Cooper and Cory Tucker. Can you rely on the most talented free agents coming to you and asking you for a job?

I ask this because normally, CFL teams will sign players who have had a cup of coffee in the NFL. A number of the Als signings appear to be below lowly rated which is: not even on the radar.

-Sports Reporter Steve Manney in Burlington says that according to his sources, the 3 Vermont Bucks who signed are Kelvin Amparo, 6'1" 195lbs DB Reggie Thomas from Furman, and 6'2" 195lbs Kicker Carl Ojala who went from North Carolina State to Castleton, and finally Campbellsville. The team Owner previously said that up to other 4 Bucks are invited to Als camp on a tryout basis.

-Two defensive lineman who say they are Alouettes are doing what they can to make the team. Last week, Aaron Karlen said he gain 25lbs. Yesterday, Tim Agbaje says he lost 20lbs. You have to appreciate the effort considering the odds are still against them. Odds might be even a little bit higher for DL Tarik Bennett who confirmed to his followers yesterday that Montreal is giving him an opportunity to play in the CFL. As previously stated, Bennett is under 6' tall.

-LaVance Taylor who was at Als mini-camp is now with the Arizona Rattlers of the IFL.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 am

okie wrote:So far Kavis Reed seems to be taking the approach that open tryouts are inefficient because in essence with so many American players out there, they will come to him. For example a agent can suggest a player, and Kavis Reed will sign him. That happened this off-season in the case of Desmond Cooper and Cory Tucker. Can you rely on the most talented free agents coming to you and asking you for a job?

I ask this because normally, CFL teams will sign players who have had a cup of coffee in the NFL. A number of the Als signings appear to be below lowly rated which is: not even on the radar.

To be fair they did hold open tryouts in Florida and this weekend in Texas. And really aren`t open tryouts also free agents coming to you and asking you for a job?

And the Florida mini-camp would have given the team an idea of any missing links.

In any case we`ll know shortly at training camp how qualified the rookie Internationals are.

All-Star

PreviousNext