Als 2017 Mini-Camp

Re: Als 2017 Mini-Camp

by HfxTC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:48 pm

These camps are voluntary.

Veteran who's been loyal to Montreal his entire career (could have played anywhere for the same or more money) is above reproach.

Players have other obligations during the off season.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by RougeMe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm

HfxTC wrote:These camps are voluntary.

Veteran who's been loyal to Montreal his entire career (could have played anywhere for the same or more money) is above reproach.

I have mixed feelings about this.

When you're under contract to an organization, it seems to me that you have an obligation to appear at the organization's season preparation events.

On the other hand, given the CFL's fairly low salary levels - I get it that a lot of players have off-season careers ... and in some cases, those will become the full time career after they retire from football.

Wish it wasn't so ...
Starter

by idealsheldon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Similar to veteran DBs Jovon Johnson and Ryan Phillips, I`m certain Chip Cox was told he did not have to attend.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by tony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:47 pm

HfxTC wrote:These camps are voluntary.

Maybe so. I too have mixed feelings on this one.
All-Star

by okie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 am

By looking at some of the names missing, I suspect the Als just wanted their veteran players to save their energy. Before mini-camp even started, there was a release saying Bear Woods would not particpate but he actually did. My guess is that Kyries Hebert could have rested if he wanted. Stefan Logan was there though he probably did little.

Video: Jacory Harris segment from the local news in Vero Beach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWkhzhRNJI

Video: Justin Chapdelaine mic'd up
http://www.rds.ca/videos/autres/justin- ... -3.1228087

Article: Luc Brodeur-Jourdain willing to mentor as his playing career starts to wind down.
http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/04/12/luc- ... -la-releve

Former North Alabama Kicker Kenny Spencer apparently was one of the kickers at mini-camp as he is claiming that he has received a training camp invite.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Sounds like a coach.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:13 am

Might just be me but I don't get a warm and Fuzzy seeing Andrew Wetenhall hawking over the very first practices of mini-camp and complaining about poor ticket sales on TV. Took years to get to this point. Its not going to flip overnight. Always amazes me how long they are willing to let things fester and how immediate they expect the fix to be.

Let's see the team plays some exciting football, win some games, let's see the GM and HC put roots down.

Reserved Optimism....
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 am

Matt Shiltz posted this yesterday: Had a great few days down in Vero Beach meeting the new teammates and competing in my first mini camp with Montreal Alouettes!

Is he just being optimistic, or has Shiltz already been invited to Bishop's? No big deal either way except for the fact that Kavis Reed previously mentioned that he planned on trimming the number of QB's down before training camp, and the team currently has 6 on their roster.

I am going to assume that the Als have pretty much decided who will not be attending training camp. When will the team make that public? Might as well do it sooner and get it over with.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:57 am

okie wrote:Matt Shiltz posted this yesterday: Had a great few days down in Vero Beach meeting the new teammates and competing in my first mini camp with Montreal Alouettes!

Is he just being optimistic, or has Shiltz already been invited to Bishop's? No big deal either way except for the fact that Kavis Reed previously mentioned that he planned on trimming the number of QB's down before training camp, and the team currently has 6 on their roster.

I am going to assume that the Als have pretty much decided who will not be attending training camp. When will the team make that public? Might as well do it sooner and get it over with.

Shiltz might get an invite for rookie camp and go from there.
Hall of Famer

by RichardVeilleux » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 am

I expect that 1 of Greg McGhee and Connor Halliday will be the QB released,before the end of April,2017.

Richard
All-Star

by okie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

With no real proof other than observation, I suspect Connor Halliday has already been told that he is not being invited.
All-Star

by okie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Als announce the release of 10 players:

Marcel Caver, (I), WR, Winston-Salem State
Desmond Cooper, (I), DB, UNC Charlotte
Reuben Frank, (I), DL, Connecticut
Connor Halliday, (I), QB, Washington State
Greg McGhee, (I), QB, Howard
Andrew Opoku, (I), WR, Delaware
Keith Pough, (I), LB, Howard
Kenneth Scott, (I), WR, Utah
LaVance Taylor, (I), DB, Central Missouri
Erik Williams, (I), DE, Bethune-Cookman

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2017/04 ... actions-6/
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

No major surprises; except Halliday, McGhee, Reuben Frank and LaVance Taylor, the other players were all signed/added in the last 2 weeks.

They will have to add at least 2 or 3 DL, possibly a RB and a QB. A K/P should also be added, as they have already said. Excluding the non-counters, 4 more players can be added to get to the 75 approved, effective May 1st,2017. A few DB's could be released,before the end of this month.

Richard
All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

S'il y a un quart-arrière que j'aimerais revoir au camp d'entraînement, c'est Cato. Je ne comprends toujours pas pourquoi les Alouettes auraient déjà capitulé dans son cas.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

PreviousNext