Repêchage 2017

Re: Repêchage 2017

by idealsheldon » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:I am also satisfied that they did not lose a draft pick on an Anthony Auclair or Justin Senior; we won't probably see them in the CFL for quite some time,if ever. When the Nat. talent was great, 4,5 or 6 years ago, they could afford to lose a pick/draft a player that may not come to the CFL,but not now.

Was listening to the NFL Network this morning on Sirius, they were interviewing Rick Stroud a Tampa Bay beat reporter. When asked if any surprises at mini-camp, said the coaches were very impressed with a TE named Antony Auclair. So I doubt our friend in Sask. will be seeing him any time soon.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, on paper there are adequate/many Nat. DL but, as with LeStaf, I am not convinced that Oramasionwu will last the full season; in the past 3 years, he played only 21 games out of 54. Michael Klassen has also been injured; last season he did miss 11 games.

Richard
All-Star

by okie » Mon May 08, 2017 9:16 pm

From Herb Zurkowsky:

Instead, (Kavis) Reed used his first choice, 12th overall, to select McMaster defensive-tackle Fabion Foote. The 6-foot-2, 285 pounder is athletic and explosive. And he has a year of eligibility remaining with the Marauders, just in case. But one CFL executive said his team gave Foote a third-round grade, while more than one source wondered why the Als chose a position at which they appear to be deep. The Als also added three wide receivers and one tight end on Sunday.

“I’m very shocked by their first pick. They already have many interior defensive linemen,” said one. “How many Canadian wide receivers do they need? Bad draft, man. They passed on good, local players.”

Said another source: “Given there was some depth at defensive line, I thought they’d go offensive line with their first pick. Then come back to the DL later. When you look at their roster, DL isn’t a position of need.”

“Four guys are slated to be in the rotation. Two of those players are on one-year deals,” Reed explained. “If Foote goes back to school we know, whomever’s sitting in this chair, has the ability to maintain that ratio in a strong fashion. This is about ratio stability and projecting in the future. Those (free agents) are being paid handsomely. We save a lot of money moving forward.”

Reed’s answer was much the same about the receivers. And one, Calgary’s Denzel Radford (sixth round, 48th overall), was a former linebacker who converted to offence. The 6-foot-3, 200 pounder also can play on special teams.

“All their receivers are somewhat similar,” said a source. “They went for a bunch of big bodies.”

But there’s something else that jumped out at us on Sunday. The Université de Montréal established a school record when seven of its players were selected, starting with defensive-tackle Junior Luke. He went to British Columbia in the first-round (seventh overall).

“That’s the way the board fell,” Reed said. “There are some very good players out of (Montréal). Based on our needs and the way we grade players — not only for stability on the roster now but also moving forward — it didn’t fall that way.

“Did we have guys targeted? Absolutely. Based on our position, teams took them earlier than we had them projected. We didn’t want to go away from the board and take someone that would have upset the order of the draft for us.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... raft-picks
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 10:00 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:Yes, on paper there are adequate/many Nat. DL but, as with LeStaf, I am not convinced that Oramasionwu will last the full season; in the past 3 years, he played only 21 games out of 54. Michael Klassen has also been injured; last season he did miss 11 games.

Richard

Unfortunately that's one of the problems with building your ratio around defensive linesmen. They get hurt a lot... Its a violent position. We had like seven seasons where Josh and Jeff played all 18 games minus the odd meaningless games. You will never get that from your defensive tackles.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 pm

DL do get hurt a lot.
But the key this season, at least, is to do whatever they can to give Durant a shot at playing the full season I think. It starts with the best OL possible.

They gotta get back to 30 point offensive games, be exciting to the fans again and stop this revolving 3 year door of getting QBs killed back there.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 pm

No question, very risk averse. We will see how it all comes together.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Yep we'll see.
The one thing I'll say about this new regime is they have a vision and a plan on how to get there. There is nothing scattershot about it.

I dislike always bringing up Buono but the one thing I've admired about him is he always has a definitive plan as to how to improve his teams. Doesn't always work for a number of reasons but he develops a coherent plan and goes about doing that. He also admits when he screws up which he can do because of his longevity and tenure. He admitted to messing up the original Geroy Simon departure then rectifying that, of his getting rid of too much leadership when he cut a lot of veterans a few years back, of his inability to not micromanage when he quit coaching etc. And he can be "ruthless".

There is lots about Reed that I have been dubious about ( mainly his propensity to talk too much and make promises that he can't keep) but he's put forth a new blueprint here. I hope it works. I also think JC has a lot of quiet fingerprints on this team. And I think you will see a more aggressive run game...with Sutton and another back rotating to stay fresh. That's perhaps why they traded for Woods from Hamilton, as checkered as his past may look. Perhaps too a new RB may emerge in TC. At any rate pounding the ball will help Durant and a strong OL will help that. I think you will see many 20 + carries in games this year.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 am

I agree with all of it.

I really respect hard work and that shines through with the current staff, they work really hard, they get along for the most part. They don't have much experience and they will make mistakes, if it wasn't for the complete mess this team is in Raiche would NEVER hold the position she holds after one year as an intern. Kyle Walters was the same way. Five years later, he's one of the best GM in the league, so with hard work they will get there.

Hopefully the Wetenhall's keep their distance and let this project germinate.

All off season fans response has become more enthusiastic. Fans were happy with the draft yesterday acknowledging that Kavis was picking after half the league had two at bats. I was somewhat surprised considering he ignored 17 Quebec prospects...

As for Kavis, he's tucked his tongue the last couple months. I like it. Let your product speak for you. After 20 years of Bravado. A quieter humbler GM isn't a bad thing.

One guy who we've hardly seen or heard during the off season is Noel Thorpe. I wish we heard of him more regularly. The ratio changes really all falls on his shoulders and it would be reassuring for fans to know he's onboard and embracing it as part of the decision making.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Tue May 09, 2017 1:09 am

Yes. Raiche's situation is monumental and you're right she'd never get this position without the melt down. She's a large part of the equation as to why I'm really pulling for success. She seems like an extraordinary young woman and talent.

And Kyle Walters is becoming a shining star. Very quiet, humble effective guy. He actually has direct football pedigree tho...played for Hamilton for 7 years...and was HC in CIS for 3 years. But largely little unknown when added to BB staff in Special teams and part time front office.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 am

HfxTC wrote:One guy who we've hardly seen or heard during the off season is Noel Thorpe. I wish we heard of him more regularly. The ratio changes really all falls on his shoulders and it would be reassuring for fans to know he's onboard and embracing it as part of the decision making.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/04/11/thorpe-a-retrouve-le-sourire
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am

One of the TSN football guys who follows the CIS, Marshall Ferguson had this to say about the Als draft:

"I think Kavis Reed did a real good job with this draft." - @TSN_Marsh says #AlsMTL were winner of 2017 #CFLDraft. #CFL via @TattiAndMarsh

But then again he`s the Tiger Cat play-by-play announcer so what does he know! :D

All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

idealsheldon wrote:One of the TSN football guys who follows the CIS, Marshall Ferguson had this to say about the Als draft:

"I think Kavis Reed did a real good job with this draft." - @TSN_Marsh says #AlsMTL were winner of 2017 #CFLDraft. #CFL via @TattiAndMarsh

But then again he`s the Tiger Cat play-by-play announcer so what does he know! :D

Marshall put an insane amount of work into this. IMO he's basically taken over from Duane Ford as the draft guy. He's not wrong. The Als took guys for the most part who are under developed but have very high ceiling. Problem with that is the damn two year contracts. But if the Als can cultivate some loyalty and build these guy to reach their potential, this could be a really good return in a few years. So the top 3 picks help the roster this year or next and the rest are guys who will go back to school, some for a year, some for two and then hopefully after another year or two will yield some results.

Anywone here think the Wetenhalls can wait that long, for once ? just once ? :roll:

I don't understand how they would not trade for an late pick and draft Augustine. Can't figure that one out at all. Is he represented by Hardaway ?
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am

Very strange that he wasn`t selected. Poor interviews?

This story shows him to be a Wayne Moore clone:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/07/comparison ... augustine/

All-Star

by tony » Tue May 09, 2017 11:35 am

idealsheldon wrote:
RichardVeilleux wrote:Why select Jean-Simon Roy in round 2/with pick #12, Sheldon? Because he is from Québec? The offensive line or offensive Nat. offensive linemen was not their priority,Sheldon. Defensive line, defensive backs and receivers were more the priorities.

An opinion of course, but feel that Roy who is a Laval Brennan product projects as a centre, and could be groomed to replace LBJ. Matte I always felt was better suited to OG.

I will assume that Foote is a quality DT (Reed on the RDS site said he can also possibly be used at DE). But I feel we have sufficient Nationals on the d-line in Klassen, Shologan, Westerman, Oramasiowu, Joseph. Will Foote be that much better than these guys?

Agree with you here Sheldon.
Sorry Richard, with LBJ and his injury and age of 34, Matte better suited at OG, as Sheldon said, Roy could have been groomed for centre.
And yes, being a Quebecer helps. This organization can use all the PR it can get after the last few seasons.
Foote would not have been my first selection.
All-Star

by jamie » Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 am

Looking at the draft, while it may be a bit off track, one can argue that Vernon Adams could be included as a draft pick of this year.
All-Star

PreviousNext