Repêchage 2017

Re: Repêchage 2017

by LeStaf » Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 am

okie wrote:Does anybody here think any of these draft choices are good enough to make the active roster this year?

Je crois que Wright pourrait en surprendre certains. L'an dernier, Termansen n'a même pas été repêché et il a été en uniforme durant la saison.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 am

Bien des experts disaient que ce n'était pas une grande cuvée, et je ne peux pas dire que les Alouettes aient fait une grande récolte non plus. Dans les circonstances, je trouve que Reed et son équipe ont fait 2 bonnes sélections pour commencer (Foote et Wright), à des positions qui nécessitaient des apports en joueurs nationaux.

Le choix de Morrison est défendable aussi, quoique j'aurais cru que les Alouettes auraient pu prendre une chance sur un joueur mieux classé (Auclair, Boateng), ou d'intérêt particulier (Ménard-Brière).

Pour la suite, j'avoue que ces joueurs me sont inconnus, aussi c'est sur le terrain qu'ils attireront mon attention... ou pas. Les Alouettes ont terminé leur repêchage en ayant choisi 3 receveurs (4 si on y inclut Touré), 2 demis défensifs, 1 joueur de ligne défensive et 1 joueur de ligne offensive. Ce sont donc les 2 unités où on retrouve le plus de joueurs nationaux qui se retrouveront avec le moins de sélections dans ce repêchage.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 9:09 am

Takes years to know if a team had a good draft or not. So I will in no way judge them on if they did well or not with their picks because we simply can't. Two things I am happy about is Kavis resisted the urge to overpay to trade up. The second is how hard they worked at it. The Als haven't worked this hard evaluating Canadian amateur talent well maybe ever. So they will be able to build on that.

Also it was all of these guys first draft. Because last year Popp made the decisions from his house in Mooresville, these guys submitted their reports, Jim had a meeting with them and off he went. You get better at these things with experience. Kyle Walters progression as a GM in four years has been phenomenal.

Where there is a disconnect however was in drafting Quebec products. 3 other teams took 3 Quebec kids each while the Als took one with their 8th. picked in the draft. For a guy who talked about reconnecting with the local schools and community. Kavis actions didn't match his words to the fans.

In total 17 local kids were taken, the greatest haul of Quebec kids in the history of the CFL. The Alouettes drafted ONE or 5.88 percent of local content.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am

HfxTC wrote:Takes years to know if a team had a good draft or not. So I will in no way judge them on if they did well or not with their picks because we simply can't. Two things I am happy about is Kavis resisted the urge to overpay to trade up. The second is how hard they worked at it. The Als haven't worked this hard evaluating Canadian amateur talent well maybe ever. So they will be able to build on that.

Also it was all of these guys first draft. Because last year Popp made the decisions from his house in Mooresville, these guys submitted their reports, Jim had a meeting with them and off he went.

Effectivement, mais je trouve qu'ils ont ciblé les bons besoins à combler (ligne défensive, demi défensif, receveurs) compte tenu des acquisitions de l'entre-saisons. Le fait que c'était leur premier repêchage a sans doute contribué à ce qu'ils mettent les bouchées doubles. Il faudra que ça continue.

You get better at these things with experience. Kyle Walters progression as a GM in four years has been phenomenal.

Espérons-le! J'avoue que je trouve aussi que Walters a fait du bon travail et c'est bénéfique pour toute la LCF.

Where there is a disconnect however was in drafting Quebec products. 3 other teams took 3 Quebec kids each while the Als took one with their 8th. picked in the draft. For a guy who talked about reconnecting with the local schools and community. Kavis actions didn't match his words to the fans.

In total 17 local kids were taken, the greatest haul of Quebec kids in the history of the CFL. The Alouettes drafted ONE or 5.88 percent of local content.

J'ai l'impression que les gars qu'ils auraient voulu avoir se sont tous envolés avant d'avoir eu l'occasion de les sélectionner. Je me serais attendu à ce qu'ils tentent leur chance sur un gars qui va aller s'essayer dans la NFL, mais il semble que la saga Foucault a laissé ses traces. D'un autre côté, si de meilleurs joueurs étaient disponibles, je comprends l'équipe d'avoir passé sur les joueurs du Québec au moment où il était temps de choisir. On disait que ce repêchage n'était pas une grande cuvée, aussi pourquoi se diluer davantage seulement parce que le joueur vient du Québec? Il y aura d'autres occasions.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Mon May 08, 2017 10:24 am

I thought the Als had a decent draft considering they only picked at No. 12.

I would question the selection of Foote over Jean-Simon Roy both from a positional need standpoint and the Quebec factor. But you have to give the team the benefit of the doubt, they seem to regard Foote highly.

By pick No. 20 Roy and Anthony Gosselin were gone, and Wright was more highly regarded than Frederic Chagnon.

Those questioning the lack of Quebec players have to keep in mind that both Deslauriers and Raiche are heavily involved in the draft, and you can`t just reach for a Quebec player if the talent is not equal, you have to follow your draft board.

As for players who can make a mark this season, certainly Foote, Wright, and Morrison. And Carter and Toure could turn out to be sleepers.

I`ll update this in 3 years. :D
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by tony » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am

idealsheldon wrote:I thought the Als had a decent draft considering they only picked at No. 12.

I would question the selection of Foote over Jean-Simon Roy both from a positional need standpoint and the Quebec factor. But you have to give the team the benefit of the doubt, they seem to regard Foote highly.

By pick No. 20 Roy and Anthony Gosselin were gone, and Wright was more highly regarded than Frederic Chagnon.

Those questioning the lack of Quebec players have to keep in mind that both Deslauriers and Raiche are heavily involved in the draft, and you can`t just reach for a Quebec player if the talent is not equal, you have to follow your draft board.

As for players who can make a mark this season, certainly Foote, Wright, and Morrison. And Carter and Toure could turn out to be sleepers.

If not for anything, selecting Roy over Foote would have given that "local" talent aspect. And a possible boost for marketing the team. With all the changes for the organization over the last few months, this could have given them a shot in the arm on that front.

Looking forward to the update :?
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon May 08, 2017 10:47 am

idealsheldon wrote:I`ll update this in 3 years. :D

Faisons l'exercice immédiatement! :D

1 3 Mike Edem LB Calgary
1 5 Steven Lumbala RB Calgary
2 14 Hosam Shahin DT Rice
3 23 Jesse Joseph DE Connecticut
4 30 Nicolas Boulay LB Sherbrooke
4 32 Michael Klassen DL Calgary
5 41 Jake Piotrowski OL Guelph
6 47 Simon Legare OL Montreal
7 57 Damone Blackman WR Saint Mary's

Excellente récolte quand on considère que 5 de ces 9 joueurs jouent encore dans cette ligue, dont 4 sont toujours avec les Alouettes.

1 5 David Foucault OL Montreal
2 10 Andrew Lue DB Queen's
3 22 Jeffrey Finley DL Guelph
4 31 James Tuck DL York
4 35 Andrew Smith WR Manitoba
5 43 Nick Boyd K/P Manitoba
6 49 Jean-Christophe Beaulieu FB Sherbrooke
7 58 Mackenzie Sarro WR/FB Calgary

De ce repêchage qu'on trouvait intéressant, il ne reste que Beaulieu avec les Alouettes. La sélection de Foucault a permis d'acquérir Olafyoye, aussi il faudra attendre encore un peu pour l'apprécier. Du reste, Lue, Finley et Tuck sont toujours dans la LCF, mais aucun d'eux n'a encore eu d'impact significatif.

1 4 Chris Ackie DB Wilfrid Laurier
1 8 Jacob Ruby OL Richmond
2 13 Nick Shortill LB McMaster
3 24 James Bodanis OL Michigan State
4 31 Brandon Bridge QB South Alabama
4 36 Alex Charette WR Guelph
5 40 Mikhail Davidson WR Montreal
6 48 Quinn Lawlor DL Brigham Young
7 57 Anthony Coady DB Montreal

De cette fournée qu'on trouvait somme toute assez réussie, il reste 5 joueurs encore en activité dans la LCF, dont 3 sont encore avec les Alouettes. Aucun d'eux n'a encore pu se démarquer dans la LCF.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 10:58 am

LeStaf wrote:
J'ai l'impression que les gars qu'ils auraient voulu avoir se sont tous envolés avant d'avoir eu l'occasion de les sélectionner. Je me serais attendu à ce qu'ils tentent leur chance sur un gars qui va aller s'essayer dans la NFL, mais il semble que la saga Foucault a laissé ses traces. D'un autre côté, si de meilleurs joueurs étaient disponibles, je comprends l'équipe d'avoir passé sur les joueurs du Québec au moment où il était temps de choisir. On disait que ce repêchage n'était pas une grande cuvée, aussi pourquoi se diluer davantage seulement parce que le joueur vient du Québec? Il y aura d'autres occasions.

So assuming it was more than just words then you have to admit they had no idea how to rank these kids or where they would fall in the draft and that brings us back to what I was saying. They have no experience so they will learn from this. But Kavis needs to be very careful what he says to the public and the staff working in the RSEQ. The team's credibility is near zero to begin with so Kavis has very little wiggle room and its not like Maciocia will do him any favors.
Last edited by HfxTC on Mon May 08, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

idealsheldon wrote:I thought the Als had a decent draft considering they only picked at No. 12.

Well considering every other team in the league valued these guys more. I take that to mean their draft board was wrong and the rest of the league was more accurate of these guys value.

And does any one here think Catherine Raiche is an authority as a Pro scout! Seriously ? She has one year CFL experience with zero of it coaching or scouting ! Deslauriers has one year experience as a junior scout and as the pictures show their boss Joe Mack was in town to take a snooze !
Sorry, just not buying what you are selling.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

I think you will really enjoy having Morrison as part of the Als. He's a very solid Canadian receiver who would have been MUCH higher rated had he was not injured in his final year at UBC. I was hoping Lions would scoop him up. He will push Devon Bailey for playing time. Giguere will be pushed. IMO the Als Canadian receiving corps has improved exponentially in the space of 6 months.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:19 am

jamie wrote:I think you will really enjoy having Morrison as part of the Als. He's a very solid Canadian receiver who would have been MUCH higher rated had he was not injured in his final year at UBC. I was hoping Lions would scoop him up. He will push Devon Bailey for playing time. Giguere will be pushed. IMO the Als Canadian receiving corps has improved exponentially in the space of 6 months.

He was my top pick at the position as well. I'm not surprise we drafted him.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

HfxTC wrote:
jamie wrote:I think you will really enjoy having Morrison as part of the Als. He's a very solid Canadian receiver who would have been MUCH higher rated had he was not injured in his final year at UBC. I was hoping Lions would scoop him up. He will push Devon Bailey for playing time. Giguere will be pushed. IMO the Als Canadian receiving corps has improved exponentially in the space of 6 months.

He was my top pick at the position as well. I'm not surprise we drafted him.
Toure is a nice sleeper pick as well. He's not the fastest but he's a big target who is learning how to play slot. I expect he will return to Sherbrooke for another season but there is some merit to that pick.

I'm really surprised the Als didn't take a RB I think the Als should have taken a RB in the lower rounds. which makes me wonder what if any are the plans with Moore ? Maybe the Als can sign Johnny Augustine who inexplicably was not drafted at all.

Hall of Famer

by jamie » Mon May 08, 2017 11:31 am

Really hey? Yeah he's good one. Anybody who is respected and coached by Blake Nill I would look hard at for sure.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Why select Jean-Simon Roy in round 2/with pick #12, Sheldon? Because he is from Québec? The offensive line or offensive Nat. offensive linemen was not their priority,Sheldon. Defensive line, defensive backs and receivers were more the priorities. Can any one name a Quebec defensive lineman better that Fabion Foote when the Als made their selection in round 2? Can any one name a better Quebec defensive back than Dondre Wright when the Als made their selection in round 3? Can any one name a better Quebec wide receiver than Alexander Morrison when the Als made their selection in round 4?

In round 5 an offensive lineman was selected.-Zach Annen- He was a defensive lineman for 2 years but for the past 2 years he played/started as centre.

I am quite happy with the Als selections and quite satisfied that 2 WR's were selected. It's about time than they draft 1 or more receivers. I do think that up to 3 of the players selected will begin the year on the active roster. I do appreciate that players selected-at least the ones we heard- are happy to have been selected by the Als and are anxious to come to training camp.

I am also satisfied that they did not lose a draft pick on an Anthony Auclair or Justin Senior; we won't probably see them in the CFL for quite some time,if ever. When the Nat. talent was great, 4,5 or 6 years ago, they could afford to lose a pick/draft a player that may not come to the CFL,but not now.

Richard
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:Why select Jean-Simon Roy in round 2/with pick #12, Sheldon? Because he is from Québec? The offensive line or offensive Nat. offensive linemen was not their priority,Sheldon. Defensive line, defensive backs and receivers were more the priorities.

An opinion of course, but feel that Roy who is a Laval Brennan product projects as a centre, and could be groomed to replace LBJ. Matte I always felt was better suited to OG.

I will assume that Foote is a quality DT (Reed on the RDS site said he can also possibly be used at DE). But I feel we have sufficient Nationals on the d-line in Klassen, Shologan, Westerman, Oramasiowu, Joseph. Will Foote be that much better than these guys?

Other than this I agree it was a pretty successful draft, and that you can`t reach for Quebec players if they are not in line with your ratings.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

PreviousNext