Jovan Olafyoye?

Re: Jovan Olafyoye?

by HfxTC » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 am

Thank you, The 5.228 million does that include SJ on the six game to start the season or on the active roster ?
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Grover » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 am

Very impressive Richard! :thup:

There were rumours of Popp going over the 2016 Salary Cap.
With all the man games lost by the TiCats last season I wouldn't doubt they could be over also. :(
I know that when the TiCats exceeded the 2014 Cap, it was announced in the middle of April.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:I do think that John Bowman is the most likely to be released; to me, he did not have a great season in 2016.

Il faut tout de même admettre que la défensive 3-4 que Thrope s'est entêté à utiliser ad nauseam jusqu'à ce que Chapdelaine lui demande plus de diversité dans ses schémas n'a pas servi Bowman. Sur un front à 3, il était pratiquement toujours le premier en double couverture. Le contexte ne l'a pas favorisé.

Je crois que de retour à une défensive plus diversifiée, Bowman va gagner son poste sans problème.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 am

As of today there is no one on the roster who could replace Bowman. I think the guys at risk are guys like Bedard, Ruby, Rutley, Jourdain, SJ. There is no way the Als will pay SJ 225k, he's a huge financial risk because of his knee, I assume Kavis has already told him that his deal would be discussed.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 am

I agree, Bowman and Cox will not be released and shouldn't be. The guys to target are expendables like Rutley or question marks like S.J.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

HfxTC wrote:As of today there is no one on the roster who could replace Bowman. I think the guys at risk are guys like Bedard, Ruby, Rutley, Jourdain, SJ. There is no way the Als will pay SJ 225k, he's a huge financial risk because of his knee, I assume Kavis has already told him that his deal would be discussed.

J'ajouterais les noms suivants à la liste de coupures potentielles (non que je les souhaite mais que je conçois qu'elles puissent arriver) :

Logan (si Jackson se révèle cette saison comme pouvant le remplacer)
Coady (il devra se signaler sur les unités spéciales maintenant que les Alouettes feront jouer Phillips comme maraudeur)
Crompton
Woods (si Koster se révèle aussi bon que lui au camp d'entraînement).

Si ma mémoire est bonne, Green avait déjà consenti à une baisse de salaire l'an dernier. Je crois qu'il vont lui donner la chance de montrer qu'il peut revenir à un haut niveau, mais que si les résultats ne sont pas à la hauteur des espérances, qu'ils vont tenter de renégocier son contrat, un peu comme c'est arrivé avec Richardson.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 am

Yes, the $5.228 millions includes S.J. at $225,000.

Oui, l'an passé S.J. Green a accepté une baisse de salaire de l'ordre de $25,000 à $225,000, étant donné qu'il a reçu un boni de $50,000; avec ce boni et les impôts sauvés aux USA, le salaire net de S.J. se compare à ce qu'il aurait été à $250,000 brut. Il est entendu que le $225,000 comprend son boni de $50,000, de sorte que son salaire brut, après boni, est/fut de $175,000.

Il a également reçu un boni de $50,000 dernièrement, pour 2017. Son salaire total est de $225,000 incluant boni, à moins qu'il y ait eu réduction.

Richard
All-Star

by jamie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 am

Well regardless of cap...the signing of two high character guys in JO and Earnest Jackson who are arguably the two top players at their positions is remarkable. Add in a top 3-4-5? proven QB in Durant makes for a compelling off season. And the best part is that all 3 of these guys are drama free. This is a whole different team right now. On paper at least Kavis Reed et al have done an amazing job.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 am

On October 20,2016, I then wrote,under 2017 Discussion, that the then yearly salaries of the 46 players I had on active roster amounted to $4.8 millions, including provisions of $300,000 for players on 1 game injured list and $180,000 for players on practice roster. The then total included $234,000 for the 3 QB's,i.e, Adams,Cato and Corden. Releases of high paid players such as Duron Carter,Kevin Glenn,Vaughn Martin, Billy Parker and Kenny Stafford had a positive impact on the numbers/gave the Als more flexibility.

On January 20,2017, my calculations were then at $5.101 millions, due mainly to the addition of Darian Durant and removal of Shane Corben; I also included additions for players that I then thought would re-sign with the Als; they included Gabriel Knapton,Michael Klassen, Winston Venable, Marc-Olivier Brouillette,Alan-Michael Cash and Ryan White.

Since that date, my calculations have added or excluded the following players: + DL Don Oramasionwu,+ DL Keith Shologan,+ DL Jabar Westerman, -Alan-Michael Cash,-Ray Drew,- Dequin Evans,-Winston Venable,+Plessius,-Shortill, + Ryan Phillips,-Marc-Olivier Brouillette,+ Jovan Olafioye, + Brian Simmons,- Jeff Perrett,-Ryan White, + Ernest Jackson, - Tiquan Underwood, + Jacory Harris,- Rakeem Cato, + Brandon Rutley,+ Chad Bushley and - Martin Bédard. Since then, I have also reduced the provisions for players on 1 game injured list from $300,000 to $228,000 and provisions for players on practice roster from $180,000 to $150,000, for a total reduction of $102,000 for these 2 provisions.

Compared to my calculations of October 20,2016, the salaries of the 46 players that I have included on the active roster have gone from $4,320,000 to $4,850,000, for an increase of $530,000; the major increases/changes are for the 3 QB's now at $601,000 compared to $234,000 in October; other salary increases occurred in DL,WR's and OL; basically, the only net salary decrease was in LB's.

Since last year, higher paid players such as S.J. Green, Chip Cox and Bear Woods received bonuses and accepted to reduce their gross salaries; for instance a roughly $50,000 bonus could reduce the income tax of a US player set to earn $250,000 by roughly $25,000,having no impact on their take home salary.

In 2017, Durant salary will be $400,000; apparently he did receive a $225,000 signing bonus. I wonder if the gross $400,000 has been reduced taking into account the income tax he will save; if not, it will be as if the had a roughly $500,000 gross salary.

I presume that Catherine Raiche is on/will be on the "calculation board" in order to be within the 2017 cap.

Richard
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

You certainly can't accuse Kavis of not trying to make the team better. He's trying, by gum, and it's refreshing. Ryan Phillips, at least, seems to appreciate it, judging from a recent tweet supporting Olafyoye coming over to the "east side." Whether or not all these moves add up to a net positive remains to be seen but Kavis is not letting the grass grow under his feet, rookie GM or not.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:On October 20,2016, I then wrote,under 2017 Discussion, that the then yearly salaries of the 46 players I had on active roster amounted to $4.8 millions, including provisions of $300,000 for players on 1 game injured list and $180,000 for players on practice roster. The then total included $234,000 for the 3 QB's,i.e, Adams,Cato and Corden. Releases of high paid players such as Duron Carter,Kevin Glenn,Vaughn Martin, Billy Parker and Kenny Stafford had a positive impact on the numbers/gave the Als more flexibility.

On January 20,2017, my calculations were then at $5.101 millions, due mainly to the addition of Darian Durant and removal of Shane Corben; I also included additions for players that I then thought would re-sign with the Als; they included Gabriel Knapton,Michael Klassen, Winston Venable, Marc-Olivier Brouillette,Alan-Michael Cash and Ryan White.

Since that date, my calculations have added or excluded the following players: + DL Don Oramasionwu,+ DL Keith Shologan,+ DL Jabar Westerman, -Alan-Michael Cash,-Ray Drew,- Dequin Evans,-Winston Venable,+Plessius,-Shortill, + Ryan Phillips,-Marc-Olivier Brouillette,+ Jovan Olafioye, + Brian Simmons,- Jeff Perrett,-Ryan White, + Ernest Jackson, - Tiquan Underwood, + Jacory Harris,- Rakeem Cato, + Brandon Rutley,+ Chad Bushley and - Martin Bédard. Since then, I have also reduced the provisions for players on 1 game injured list from $300,000 to $228,000 and provisions for players on practice roster from $180,000 to $150,000, for a total reduction of $102,000 for these 2 provisions.

Compared to my calculations of October 20,2016, the salaries of the 46 players that I have included on the active roster have gone from $4,320,000 to $4,850,000, for an increase of $530,000; the major increases/changes are for the 3 QB's now at $601,000 compared to $234,000 in October; other salary increases occurred in DL,WR's and OL; basically, the only net salary decrease was in LB's.

Since last year, higher paid players such as S.J. Green, Chip Cox and Bear Woods received bonuses and accepted to reduce their gross salaries; for instance a roughly $50,000 bonus could reduce the income tax of a US player set to earn $250,000 by roughly $25,000,having no impact on their take home salary.

In 2017, Durant salary will be $400,000; apparently he did receive a $225,000 signing bonus. I wonder if the gross $400,000 has been reduced taking into account the income tax he will save; if not, it will be as if the had a roughly $500,000 gross salary.

I presume that Catherine Raiche is on/will be on the "calculation board" in order to be within the 2017 cap.

Richard

Merci de tes efforts pour ce que requiert l'analyses de ces architectures complexes, Richard. Personne d'entre nous ne peut le faire de manière aussi poussée et tes contributions sont précieuses, comme l'ensemble de tes interventions. :thup:

De la façon dont je vois comment la transition de la direction des opérations football s'est effectuée, je pense que le modèle financier est déjà établi. L'équipe a déjà formaté ce qu'elle est disposée à verser, position par position, statut par statut (partant/substitut/recrue/réserviste), contingences et marge de manœuvre. Aussi, je crois que l'équipe s'assure, avant de conclure une transaction, qu'elle pourra suivre son plan de développement et respecter ses contraintes financières. Si à un certain moment les chiffres peuvent sembler élevés, il devra y avoir une correction en cours de route pour respecter l'architecture financière globale. Je le crois parce que c'est généralement l'approche des fiscalistes (que je côtoie pas mal dans ma vie professionnelle) et que Catherine Raîche a pu apporter ça dans sa mallette en acceptant d'aller travailler chez les Alouettes.

Je pense que les moments de contrôle du plafond salarial seront les échéances-clés dans cette gestion et que c'est à l'approche de ces dates que les équipes réévaluent si elles doivent faire des mouvements de personnel pour le respecter. Je ne connais pas ces dates, mais il est possible qu'à ce moment-ci, une équipe puisse être en excès projeté sans que cela n'ait une véritable importance.

Je conclus tout de même à la lecture de ton exposé qu'il est possible qu'un ou deux autres gros noms quittent l'équipe pour une raison de gestion du plafond salarial. Ça dépendra passablement des joueurs qui pourraient les remplacer.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

jamie wrote:Well regardless of cap...the signing of two high character guys in JO and Earnest Jackson who are arguably the two top players at their positions is remarkable. Add in a top 3-4-5? proven QB in Durant makes for a compelling off season. And the best part is that all 3 of these guys are drama free. This is a whole different team right now. On paper at least Kavis Reed et al have done an amazing job.

Relativement au recrutement de joueurs autonomes, le bilan de cette entrée en scène est certainement favorable jusqu'à maintenant. Je suis encore songeur sur celui qui a amené Simmons chez les Alouettes, mais c'est à l'usage que nous verrons si le jeu en valait la chandelle.

Pour les entraîneurs, j'attendrai de voir le résultat sur le terrain. J'ai plus de réserves à ce propos, surtout pour la mutation de Charbonneau comme entraîneur de la ligne offensive.
All-Star

by okie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:21 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:As I wrote before, high paid players such as S.J. Green, Bear Woods, John Bowman and Chip cox will have,if not already done, to take pay reductions; if not, particularly Bowman and Cox could be released at the end of training camp if a $60,000 Int. player is as good; I do think that John Bowman is the most likely to be released; to me, he did not have a great season in 2016. S.J. Green may start the season on the 6 game injured list,to save monies/reduce
Richard

I agree with you about John Bowman. At best, he plays maybe 40% of the defensive snaps just because of the DL rotation & when the Als switch to the 3-4 and insert Kyries Hebert. If Bowman cannot accept the lesser role and a salary to match, then I could see the release happening.

As far as Chip Cox goes, his listed backup in 2016 was Jared Koster. Not sure if Koster could adequately replace Cox.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am

okie wrote:I agree with you about John Bowman. At best, he plays maybe 40% of the defensive snaps just because of the DL rotation & when the Als switch to the 3-4 and insert Kyries Hebert. If Bowman cannot accept the lesser role and a salary to match, then I could see the release happening.

I will bet money that we'll see more four-man fronts this year, mainly because we are starting two Canadians at DT. Also, you're supposed to rotate your linemen to keep them fresh, particularly if they're over 30. I think John will surprise people.

As far as Chip Cox goes, his listed backup in 2016 was Jared Koster. Not sure if Koster could adequately replace Cox.

Nobody exists in the league who could step in and do what Cox does. There is ZERO chance that he gets released IMO. If it happened, I'd be absolutely flabbergasted.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am

There is a bigger chance for Chip to retire than being cut.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext