Popp-Testman-Toronto

Re: Popp-Testman-Toronto

by idealsheldon » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 am

I can`t lie and say it doesn`t bother me to see Trestman and Popp in Toronto. Somehow it doesn`t feel right.

I have Trestman`s email from back in the day which I`ve used over the years to congratulate him on things. I did so when he was hired in Toronto and he quickly thanked me, not really knowing who I am. So he is the gentleman`s gentleman.

As far as Trestman the Head Coach, I felt that he was too much into his offensive co-ordinator role, relying too heavily on his assistants for defense and special times, often to his detriment.

The west coast offense he brought to the Alouettes was certainly innovative, but it has since spread throughout the league and defenses have had the time to catch on. It will be interesting to see if he has anything innovative to bring to the CFL this go around.

As for Popp, he appears to be rejuvenated. The question I have is if he will continue to try to be the home run hitter looking for the big names to add to the Argos. Or if he can keep a lower profile and pound the pavement looking for unpolished gems like he did in his Alouette beginnings.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 am

There won't me much of an effect on Toronto's offence going for Milanovich to Trestman. The key to Toronto's success is Ricky's health.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Je crois qu'un facteur sera dominant dans les succès ou les infortunes des Argonauts : Corey Chamblin. Pour moi, c'est leur talon d'Achille.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm

LeStaf wrote:Je crois qu'un facteur sera dominant dans les succès ou les infortunes des Argonauts : Corey Chamblin. Pour moi, c'est leur talon d'Achille.

I`m not a fan of Chamblin either. Trestman with his late start might not have had many options.

They also have a rookie Special Teams coach in Kevin Eiben. Our old friend Tracksuit, alias Andy Bischoff, somehow has survived Trestman`s firing and is still listed as an Offensive Assistant with the Ravens.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed May 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Trestman n'avait peut-être pas beaucoup d'options, mais s'adjoindre d'un gars qui a prouvé son incompétence et le promouvoir comme assistant-entraîneur-chef n'est pas nécessairement une bonne idée. Je peine à croire qu'avec tous les contacts qu'ils ont, Popp et Trestman n'ont pu trouver mieux que Chamblin.

Enfin, si ça s'avère qu'il est aussi génial qu'en 2015, leur malheur fera le bonheur des Alouettes.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Argos gave up almost 600 points last year. Marc's roster will likely make that worse.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:47 am

It doesn`t look like Trestman will be reinventing any offensive wheels this go around with the Argos. Sticking to an offense the league has had several years to adapt to.

So it will come down to execution and individual performance by his Argos offense.

Also helping Willy and the team’s other quarterbacks including starter Ricky Ray is that Trestman hasn’t blown up the entire offence put in place by previous head coach Scott Milanovich, a former Trestman assistant while the two were with the Montreal Alouettes.

“There are a few wrinkles that coach Trestman brought in but most of it is the same,” he said. “We still have the same concepts but we just run them a bit different.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/03/ar ... Channel%29
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:53 pm

idealsheldon wrote:It doesn`t look like Trestman will be reinventing any offensive wheels this go around with the Argos. Sticking to an offense the league has had several years to adapt to.

So it will come down to execution and individual performance by his Argos offense.

Also helping Willy and the team’s other quarterbacks including starter Ricky Ray is that Trestman hasn’t blown up the entire offence put in place by previous head coach Scott Milanovich, a former Trestman assistant while the two were with the Montreal Alouettes.

“There are a few wrinkles that coach Trestman brought in but most of it is the same,” he said. “We still have the same concepts but we just run them a bit different.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/03/ar ... Channel%29

Johnny's prediction. Trestman's second tenure in the CFL will be nowhere as successful as his first with the Alouettes.

You can take that to the bank! :cowboy:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by RougeMe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:46 pm

I watched Trestman's Argos dismantle the TiCats this afternoon, and draw the following conclusion:

Conventional wisdom says it's too early to get a read on what the Alouettes will achieve until week 4 thru 6. Hard to argue.

Meanwhile, Marc Trestman delivers a team in mid-season form in week 1. He still has the magic ... or more accurately, the science.
Starter

by HfxTC » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:52 pm

He's a wonderful CFL coach and they lucked in because Barker left them a team loaded with Canadian talent. Barker built that Canadian depth from nothing. Then Kavis in his infinite Genius decided to GIVE them SJ and Woods the two undisputed leaders of our football team. I picked Toronto to win the division and today's performance kind of supports that so far and I think they will get much, much better.

As a fan I'm happy. I have two teams I can follow. One out of habit and one because it is truly exciting and cinderella like.

To see Trestman punch shovel face over and over again today was magic :)

So now the bar in the East is set at 500 yards passing.... Nice

Between Toronto, Ottawa,BC,Edmonton and Calgary. It promises to be an epic season.
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 pm

HfxTC wrote:He's a wonderful CFL coach and they lucked in because Barker left them a team loaded with Canadian talent. Barker built that Canadian depth from nothing. Then Kavis in his infinite Genius decided to GIVE them SJ and Woods the two undisputed leaders of our football team. I picked Toronto to win the division and today's performance kind of supports that so far and I think they will get much, much better.

As a fan I'm happy. I have two teams I can follow. One out of habit and one because it is truly exciting and cinderella like.

Between Toronto, Ottawa,BC,Edmonton and Calgary. It promises to be an epic season.

And seeing Reinebold's defence getting trashed was awesome! :D
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
HfxTC wrote:He's a wonderful CFL coach and they lucked in because Barker left them a team loaded with Canadian talent. Barker built that Canadian depth from nothing. Then Kavis in his infinite Genius decided to GIVE them SJ and Woods the two undisputed leaders of our football team. I picked Toronto to win the division and today's performance kind of supports that so far and I think they will get much, much better.

Bobo wasn't "impressed by our performance". I wonder how he thought about his Kitties performance LMAO
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:

Tough to know how good TO was or how bad JR was ..... time will tell
All-Star

by jkm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Too early of course to draw any conclusions, but it looked for all intents and purposes like Trestman was doing what he does best and Popp doing what he does best.

Too bad we couldn't have both of them doing that here!
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

jkm wrote:Too early of course to draw any conclusions, but it looked for all intents and purposes like Trestman was doing what he does best and Popp doing what he does best.

Too bad we couldn't have both of them doing that here!

It must burn the old man to no end...
Hall of Famer

Previous