Agents libres 2017

Re: Agents libres 2017

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 pm

This is a case of an object undergoing a change in state. If high heat is needed to cook a piece of meat, you don't stand around asking why that piece of meat isn't magically changing from raw to cooked on its own. Similarly, a reinvigorated Popp would not have happened without him getting fired from Montreal. I have all the respect in the world for what Jim accomplished here but his time was done. He had gotten bone-lazy with recruiting, couldn't manage the cap, couldn't say no to his owner asking him to be head coach, couldn't even stop himself from delivering one of the most incendiary locker-room diatribes I've ever heard from a pro coach (and which was probably what sealed his fate with ownership, in retrospect). The only way for Popp to find his mojo again is with another team.

As for Trestman, Toronto can have him. The reunion tour is never the same as the original. As great a football mind as Trestman was, he was very, VERY lucky with his personnel, particularly the starting QB, and the good coaches on his staff (e.g. Tim Burke) were picked by his GM, not him. When he started to make decisions about the coaching staff is when we turned into the coaching farm team for the rest of the league.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:05 am

We'll see if he's GM. It might have been better to have a similar setup as Hamilton where Trestman is GM/HC and Popp is VP football and US Scout. This way he can live in the US and get back to scouting. How they arrange everything will decide if this works out for them.

This is probably the Argos last chance in Toronto and it is going to be tough to promote that team with the GM and HC living in North Carolina.

The template is Pinball Clemons.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am

HfxTC wrote:We'll see if he's GM. It might have been better to have a similar setup as Hamilton where Trestman is GM/HC and Popp is VP football and US Scout. This way he can live in the US and get back to scouting. How they arrange everything will decide if this works out for them.

This is probably the Argos last chance in Toronto and it is going to be tough to promote that team with the GM and HC living in North Carolina.

Agreed with all of that. Only issue is Trestman and his tendency to micromanage offenses. Can he be GM, HC, and de facto OC all in one? Or will he cede control of the offense to Brady?

One thing Trestman has going for him: he revived Anthony Calvillo's career right about the age Ricky Ray is now. If he can't squeeze a couple more good years out of Ray, no one can.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:13 am

Ray Lalonde seems to think this is a bad idea. Says Popp will do exactly the same thing in Toronto, he's done in Montreal and media shy Trestman will fly into town at the last possible minute, go from his condo to the office that's it and fly back out the day season is over.

I'm thinking the same thing. Toronto needs more, much more to sell the Argos in that market.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:
HfxTC wrote:We'll see if he's GM. It might have been better to have a similar setup as Hamilton where Trestman is GM/HC and Popp is VP football and US Scout. This way he can live in the US and get back to scouting. How they arrange everything will decide if this works out for them.

Agreed with all of that. Only issue is Trestman and his tendency to micromanage offenses. Can he be GM, HC, and de facto OC all in one? Or will he cede control of the offense to Brady?

One thing Trestman has going for him: he revived Anthony Calvillo's career right about the age Ricky Ray is now. If he can't squeeze a couple more good years out of Ray, no one can.

Ray est beaucoup plus amoché que Calvillo ne l'était en 2008. Je crois qu'il est fini. Il a été trop blessé ces 3 dernières années. Il peine à rester en santé 3 parties de suite. Calvillo était en bien meilleure santé au même âge.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by LeStaf » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:32 am

HfxTC wrote:Ray Lalonde seems to think this is a bad idea. Says Popp will do exactly the same thing in Toronto, he's done in Montreal and media shy Trestman will fly into town at the last possible minute, go from his condo to the office that's it and fly back out the day season is over.

I'm thinking the same thing. Toronto needs more, much more to sell the Argos in that market.

Lalonde présume que Popp n'a rien appris de ses derniers mois avec les Alouettes. Popp n'est pas un crétin, ni aussi condescendant qu'un certain ancien président très passager des Alouettes. Je pense qu'il a appris une chose ou deux de ses déboires et qu'il peut en tirer quelques leçons.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

You think the Argos can be saved by two guys living in North Carolina and treating the Argos as a seasonal semi-retirement job ???

I have my doubts. We'll see.

Ray Lalonde is sharp, you may not like him. I like him a lot. No grey zone with that guy and he's prepared to say what needs to be said. Wetenhall should have listened to him. He'd have saved at least a million or two and his stands wouldn't be a quarter empty.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 am

Popp and Trestman could both live year round at BMO Field and it won`t make a difference for the Argos. They`ll be good for the 8000 die hards, but CFL football will just not fly in Toronto.

Toronto has MLB and NBA, which no other CFL city has, and they`re a 2 hour drive to the NFL. Plus with the one year contracts and the promising players who leave for the NFL after 2 years, fans cannot identify with players.

The owners have deep pockets, they`ll give it their best shot, but it will be to no avail.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 am

idealsheldon wrote:Popp and Trestman could both live year round at BMO Field and it won`t make a difference for the Argos. They`ll be good for the 8000 die hards, but CFL football will just not fly in Toronto.

Toronto has MLB and NBA, which no other CFL city has, and they`re a 2 hour drive to the NFL. Plus with the one year contracts and the promising players who leave for the NFL after 2 years, fans cannot identify with players.

The owners have deep pockets, they`ll give it their best shot, but it will be to no avail.

False narrative. Nobody is going to make me believe that you can't find 10 000 new paying fans in Toronto.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:15 am

HfxTC wrote:
idealsheldon wrote:Popp and Trestman could both live year round at BMO Field and it won`t make a difference for the Argos. They`ll be good for the 8000 die hards, but CFL football will just not fly in Toronto.

False narrative. Nobody is going to make me believe that you can't find 10 000 new paying fans in Toronto.

Maybe when the Riders visit. :D
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't know how things are going to turn out in Toronto, but I do know this: prior to Ottawa's latest return to the league, everyone was saying the same thing about Ottawa. No fans, no support, how many times can football fail in this city, etc. But Hunt & co. have done things the right way and all that talk is a distant memory now. I realize that Toronto is a very different city from Ottawa, for the reasons many have mentioned, but I don't believe it's a lost cause.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

There are 4 to 6 million people within driving distance from BMO. They need another 10k ! But you do it one fan at a time and you don't **** them off. Its hard work and its a year round effort, even more so in such a competitive market.
Hall of Famer

by schmenger » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Toronto is a tuff football town considering there are so many other viable options. Toronto is very diverse and there has not been a sustainable fan base in years. Tressman and Popp have their work cut out for them. I have always considered the Argos as the team in the east to beat. Looks like there will be some good healthy competition if Popp is able to continue finding talented players who can compete. This should be a good battle this year and I am looking forward to it.
Starter

by idealsheldon » Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 am

DE Alex Bazzie has been released by the Colts. BC I assume would have the inside track on repatriating him, but he`s certainly a guy the Als should take a shot at.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Farhan Lalji‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN 57m57 minutes ago

OL Colin Kelly has signed with #Eskimos. Former #RedBlacks star was recently released by Jacksonville. @CFLonTSN

Pretty good OT who we could have used. Redblacks probably after him too but I guess the Sunderland connection in Edm. won him over.

And Alex Bazzie has signed with Carolina.
All-Star

PreviousNext