Agents libres 2017

Re: Agents libres 2017

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 pm

okie wrote:
idealsheldon wrote:From Joey Abrams take on free agency:

Keep an eye on: Offensive line

There is still work to do here but the good news is Kavis Reed knows it. The Alouettes were able to secure the rights of some quality offensive line prospects in December’s neg list draft. There is still likely concern at the lack of CFL experience they have at offensive tackle, so this will be something to key on. If they find new blood to fill these roles they’ll make a push to be back as a playoff team.

http://3downnation.com/2017/02/21/won-f ... ation+A%29

And from the neg list draft that he linked to:

Kavis Reed made his first moves after officially being named Alouettes’ general manager, adding international offensive linemen Quinterrious Eatmon (Redblacks) and Audrey Walker (Bombers).

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/17/eleve ... ist-draft/

I already had forgotten about those 2 lineman. Can the Als actually find an effective starter picked off a list of CFL discards? Reed will look like a genius if that happens. At least now we know the 4 Import Tackles that Reed stated were under contract.

Mathu Gibson
Patrick Colbert
Quinterrius Eatmon
Aundrey Walker

Well maybe. As far as I can tell, both the guys from the Neg List draft are primarily considered as being Guards.

Aundrey Walker is currently with the Dolphins so we won't see him (only used up one year eligibility).

Quinterrius Eatmon was dropped by both the Lions and RojoNegro, so that one we should see.

Patrick Colbert started around 15 games at RT graduated from Baylor in 2014 and it appears he's had no NFL shot. So we should see him unless he retires.

So we have a good chance at seeing 3 of them at camp. Its a start.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 pm

okie wrote:So, what you're saying is that Alan-Michael Cash ends up in Toronto. :D

I honestly thought of that this morning.

I will certainly get nostalgic seeing Trestpopp with the Argos. The first year will be a bumpy ride for them, having to work with an inherited staff plus wanting to bring people in they are comfortable with.

Popp looked and acted burnt at the end of last season. I felt he should take a year off to rejuvenate, but I guess you take these jobs when you can.

And similar to the Bruins having been able to block Julien joining the Habs, the Als probably could have blocked Popp for another year he was under contact to them. But that`s not how the CFL works, and $400,000 probably entered the picture also.

There are some real quality die hard Argo fans out there - not alot mind you - so I am happy for them their team will be in good hands down the road.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:52 pm

okie wrote:
idealsheldon wrote:From Joey Abrams take on free agency:

Keep an eye on: Offensive line

There is still work to do here but the good news is Kavis Reed knows it. The Alouettes were able to secure the rights of some quality offensive line prospects in December’s neg list draft. There is still likely concern at the lack of CFL experience they have at offensive tackle, so this will be something to key on. If they find new blood to fill these roles they’ll make a push to be back as a playoff team.

http://3downnation.com/2017/02/21/won-f ... ation+A%29

And from the neg list draft that he linked to:

Kavis Reed made his first moves after officially being named Alouettes’ general manager, adding international offensive linemen Quinterrious Eatmon (Redblacks) and Audrey Walker (Bombers).

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/17/eleve ... ist-draft/

I already had forgotten about those 2 lineman. Can the Als actually find an effective starter picked off a list of CFL discards? Reed will look like a genius if that happens. At least now we know the 4 Import Tackles that Reed stated were under contract.

Mathu Gibson
Patrick Colbert
Quinterrius Eatmon
Aundrey Walker

Well maybe. As far as I can tell, both the guys from the Neg List draft are primarily considered as being Guards.

Aundrey Walker is currently with the Dolphins so we won't see him (only used up one year eligibility).

Quinterrius Eatmon was dropped by both the Lions and RojoNegro, so that one we should see.

Patrick Colbert started around 15 games at RT graduated from Baylor in 2014 and it appears he's had no NFL shot. So we should see him unless he retires.

So we have a good chance at seeing 3 of them at camp. Its a start.

Here is a great article on Michael Ola
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/articl ... ae904fa542
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:55 pm

idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:So, what you're saying is that Alan-Michael Cash ends up in Toronto. :D

I will certainly get nostalgic seeing Trestpopp with the Argos. The first year will be a bumpy ride for them, having to work with an inherited staff plus wanting to bring people in they are comfortable with.

Popp looked and acted burnt at the end of last season. I felt he should take a year off to rejuvenate, but I guess you take these jobs when you can.

And similar to the Bruins having been able to block Julien joining the Habs, the Als probably could have blocked Popp for another year he was under contact to them. But that`s not how the CFL works, and $400,000 probably entered the picture also.

There are some real quality die hard Argo fans out there - not alot mind you - so I am happy for them their team will be in good hands down the road.

Why would Wetenhall prevent a father of six who gave him the best 20 year of his life earning a living ? Plus it gets him off the books. Wetenhall is probably smoking a big cigar.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Yeah, I can't see Wetenhall opposing this. Popp gave a lot to this organization and him joining Toronto means we're off the hook for the remainder of his contract.

Is this the year, incidentally, when we're FINALLY out from under every coach firing of the past four years? Between Hawkins, Miller, Campbell, Higgins, Worman, etc., it felt like we had someone's contract on the books every season until now.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:49 pm

HfxTC wrote:Aundrey Walker is currently with the Dolphins so we won't see him (only used up one year eligibility).

FWIW I don`t see Aundrey Walker listed on the Dolphins roster.

All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:50 pm

Ce serait tout de même un malheureux paradoxe que Popp et Trestman ressuscitent les Argonauts au lieu de relancer les Alouettes. Si ça devait arriver, je ne sais pas comment les vrais supporteurs des Alouettes réagiraient. S'il fallait que les Argonauts supplantent les Alouettes rapidement, les conséquences pourraient être néfastes pour le football à Montréal. Ce serait un joyeux pied de nez que les Alouettes ne méritent pas, tout comme Popp ne mériterait pas de se voir privé d'une opportunité de relancer sa carrière alors qu'il y a très peu d'ouvertures possibles pour un gars comme lui.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Yeah, I can't see Wetenhall opposing this. Popp gave a lot to this organization and him joining Toronto means we're off the hook for the remainder of his contract.

Is this the year, incidentally, when we're FINALLY out from under every coach firing of the past four years? Between Hawkins, Miller, Campbell, Higgins, Worman, etc., it felt like we had someone's contract on the books every season until now.

I think so. Wetenhall is done writing on the blackboard

"I shall not meddle in football operations "

1.2 million times

:)
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:13 pm

LeStaf wrote:Ce serait tout de même un malheureux paradoxe que Popp et Trestman ressuscitent les Argonauts au lieu de relancer les Alouettes. Si ça devait arriver, je ne sais pas comment les vrais supporteurs des Alouettes réagiraient. S'il fallait que les Argonauts supplantent les Alouettes rapidement, les conséquences pourraient être néfastes pour le football à Montréal. Ce serait un joyeux pied de nez que les Alouettes ne méritent pas, tout comme Popp ne mériterait pas de se voir privé d'une opportunité de relancer sa carrière alors qu'il y a très peu d'ouvertures possibles pour un gars comme lui.

The question I`ll always have is this. If Popp was asked by ownership to coach the team, knowing it would obviously affect his GM responsibilities, then why was Popp the GM fired?

All-Star

by okie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I have no way of knowing for sure, but there was talk that somebody was trying to throw Popp under the bus.

As far as Aundrey Walker goes, he was released by the Dolphins on 9/5/2015. Blue Bombers signed him on 4/24/16 and cut him during training camp 6/15/16. Riders then signed him to the Practice Roster on 10/3/2016 but removed him on 11/1/2016.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm

okie wrote:I have no way of knowing for sure, but there was talk that somebody was trying to throw Popp under the bus.

The one that takes the team from the Big O to Stade Hebert?

All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm

idealsheldon wrote:
LeStaf wrote:Ce serait tout de même un malheureux paradoxe que Popp et Trestman ressuscitent les Argonauts au lieu de relancer les Alouettes. Si ça devait arriver, je ne sais pas comment les vrais supporteurs des Alouettes réagiraient. S'il fallait que les Argonauts supplantent les Alouettes rapidement, les conséquences pourraient être néfastes pour le football à Montréal. Ce serait un joyeux pied de nez que les Alouettes ne méritent pas, tout comme Popp ne mériterait pas de se voir privé d'une opportunité de relancer sa carrière alors qu'il y a très peu d'ouvertures possibles pour un gars comme lui.

The question I`ll always have is this. If Popp was asked by ownership to coach the team, knowing it would obviously affect his GM responsibilities, then why was Popp the GM fired?

Je pense que c'est que la raison pour laquelle il devait être renvoyé l'aurait empêché d'avoir la crédibilité nécessaire pour aller chercher les joueurs qu'il fallait pour améliorer l'équipe. Popp comme DG avait passé 3 ans à tenter de redonner un semblant de dignité à cette équipe et ne l'a pas fait progresser. Tout au mieux a-t-elle fait du sur place dans la médiocrité. Je pense qu'à Toronto, il pourrait avoir un poste en apparence plus haut placé dans la hiérarchie (président ou VP des opérations football) et confier le poste officiel de DG à Joey Abrams. Il agirait avec ce dernier un peu comme Trestman avec son coordonnateur à l'attaque, si seulement Abram en a vraiment besoin. C'est une formule qui pourrait fonctionner, à mon sens. Copeland s'est complètement brûlé ces dernières semaines et a amplement prouvé qu'il ne comprend pas l'environnement qu'il est censé diriger. Popp ferait un gars crédible sur le plan football et s'il pouvait ramener Trestman, il aurait des chances de relancer les ventes de billets après la débâcle de la dernière saison et le désastre de cet entre-saisons.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:47 pm

okie wrote:
As far as Aundrey Walker goes, he was released by the Dolphins on 9/5/2015. Blue Bombers signed him on 4/24/16 and cut him during training camp 6/15/16. Riders then signed him to the Practice Roster on 10/3/2016 but removed him on 11/1/2016.

I know where you got this! Haven`t used it in awhile, although I did mention it when I first joined the forum. Former CFL GM Mike McCarthy used to be involved.

http://www.cutsandkeeps.com/internet/2017/index.htm

All-Star

by tony » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 pm

idealsheldon wrote:

If Trestman joins Popp as the Argos HC, should be no reason for Popp not to focus solely on GM duties.

The two of them could lead the Argos back to the top in a year or two.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 pm

idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:I have no way of knowing for sure, but there was talk that somebody was trying to throw Popp under the bus.

The one that takes the team from the Big O to Stade Hebert?

Its not nice to speak in riddles LOL!
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext