Rakeem Cato Released???

Re: Rakeem Cato Released???

by tony » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

HfxTC wrote:
drummer_god wrote:Cato is mediocre QB with the horrible attitude in a professional setting. This isn't a learning institution. This is professional level. He was given plenty of opportunity and time and time again displayed that he's not mature enough to stay employed at a professional level.

The nice thing about all these moves is that if Kavis Reed fails he will be fired six games into the season.

Time will tell on that one.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:13 pm

HfxTC wrote:
drummer_god wrote:Cato is mediocre QB with the horrible attitude in a professional setting. This isn't a learning institution. This is professional level. He was given plenty of opportunity and time and time again displayed that he's not mature enough to stay employed at a professional level.

A QB Guru !

First of all he improved over two seasons. At least he can throw a football where he wants to. Crompton has thrown more one hopper in the turf than Cato has incompletions.

Second he can stay healthy, Crompton spent 35 CONSECUTIVE games on the injured list. He makes Ricky Ray look like the Terminator.

The nice thing about all these moves is that if Kavis Reed fails he will be fired six games into the season.

Pour être remplacé par Joe Mack? :twisted:
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by jamie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Short honeymoon for Reed I see. Two months of off season and the first sight of firing is seen and heard. But I agree with the comment he needs to shut up. That tendency to hold biblical court wore mighty thin in Edmonton. My own take is he is a paper, conniving warrior. But that's just me.
All-Star

by TimHay » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

My turn on the wheel! I would point out that a QB is only as good as the talent that play the around him. Cato is a very good QB who, unlike most of his competition, can complete 70% of his passes and make all the throws needed to accomplish that stat. What he cannot do is block defensive linemen and blitzers - nor can he run consistent pass patterns.

In my opinion, his biggest problem is his inability to speak Canadian and I mean both French and Anglo. His ghetto English doesn't make him an effective leader in the huddle and in getting support from his coaches. Cavillo and Cato have not been a good match because the coach only knows how to play his own style and Cato learned another brand of football in the streets of Miami. Montreal was always a bad deal for him.

So if the young man wants to continue play in the CFL, there has to be an American coach somewhere in the league who has been there and done that.
Practice Squad

by idealsheldon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:44 pm

If Cato wants to take a next step he better find an agent. This is what Herb wrote the other day:

Cato couldn’t be reached for comment. Indeed, Florida-based Joe Schulz, his last agent of record, said he hasn’t heard from Cato in some time and isn’t sure whether he still represents him.

Not sure if Cato tuned his agent out or vice versa. But he better get one.

And this Schulz guy doesn`t sound like the sharpest tool in the shed. Shouldn`t a competent player agent reach out to his client to see what`s going on?
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 pm

TimHay wrote:My turn on the wheel! I would point out that a QB is only as good as the talent that play the around him. Cato is a very good QB who, unlike most of his competition, can complete 70% of his passes and make all the throws needed to accomplish that stat. What he cannot do is block defensive linemen and blitzers - nor can he run consistent pass patterns.

In my opinion, his biggest problem is his inability to speak Canadian and I mean both French and Anglo. His ghetto English doesn't make him an effective leader in the huddle and in getting support from his coaches. Cavillo and Cato have not been a good match because the coach only knows how to play his own style and Cato learned another brand of football in the streets of Miami. Montreal was always a bad deal for him.

So if the young man wants to continue play in the CFL, there has to be an American coach somewhere in the league who has been there and done that.

I agree with your evaluations of his physical abilities, I am sad to see him gone. As far as the ghetto English, well color(see what I did there) shocked that after four years of College at Marshall in which he failed to graduate, he did not learn to speak and write proper English. This has nothing to do with "Canadian English".

I have to say that having read Rakeem and listened to him over the last two years. Marshall's President should be ashame to turn out a business major who can't write after four years of College. That's not a good look for your school.

Also agree that it will require a coach willing to overlook some very obvious shortcomings but realistically I don't know who that is right now. I'm not sure that person exists.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by AlsPal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:01 am

My issue is less with Cato being released and more with Crompton being on the roster instead of a young quarterbacks to try and groom.

Don't like Cato, fine. Don't want to work with Cato, fine. But find another QB prospect somewhere, someone with potential to get better, not keep Crompton who is bad now and is probably only going to get worst.
Starter

by HfxTC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:50 am

AlsPal wrote:My issue is less with Cato being released and more with Crompton being on the roster instead of a young quarterbacks to try and groom.

Don't like Cato, fine. Don't want to work with Cato, fine. But find another QB prospect somewhere, someone with potential to get better, not keep Crompton who is bad now and is probably only going to get worst.

Reed has no track record so the fan's trust is about proportional. If he wants to take the hit...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 am

AlsPal wrote:My issue is less with Cato being released and more with Crompton being on the roster instead of a young quarterbacks to try and groom.

I can respect this opinion even if I don't share some of the sentiment. Personally, I think Cato's release is objectively bad for us regardless of who else is on the roster. He was the best pure passer on the team in terms of arm strength, accuracy, touch, and being able to make all the throws from the pocket, and he's only 25. Tremendous upside being cast away because of how he speaks.

Having said that, your point about who remains on the roster is well-taken. And it's not just Crompton to me. Vernon Adams staying says volumes about the blinkered priorities of the staff. Adams is a guy who cannot make the throws, especially not from the pocket. How do you keep a guy like Adams who is barely over 50% on completion and who can't throw a deep ball that doesn't hang in the air, but cut the guy who can throw a football on a rope to a receiver in stride 40 yards downfield?
Last edited by disciplineandpunish on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by AlsPal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:

I can respect this opinion even if I don't share some of the sentiment. Personally, I think Cato's release is objectively bad for us regardless of who else is on the roster. He was the best pure passer on the team in terms of arm strength, accuracy, touch, and being able to make all the throws from the pocket, and he's only 25. Tremendous upside being cast away because of how he speaks.

Having said that, your point about who remains on the roster is well-taken. And it's not just Crompton to me. Vernon Adams staying says volumes about the blinkered priorities of the staff. Adams is a guy who cannot make the throws, especially not from the pocket. How do you speak a guy like Adams who is barely over 50% on completion and who can't throw a deep ball that doesn't hang in the air, but cut the guy who can throw a football on a rope to a receive in stride 40 yards downfield?

If the coaching staff absolutely cannot work with Cato, or Cato burnt all his bridges, and the team had to move on, however misguided or petty that may be, I can somewhat see the logic behind it.

What I absolutely do not get is mentality that they have fixed the QB position by having Durant Adams and Crompton.

Durant is here 2 years, maybe 3 if he can stay healthy and produce.

Adams, like you said, has issues throwing from the pocket, and has a below 50 percent completion percentage.

And Crompton is Adams without the mobility. So what's the plan for 2 years from now? Maybe Adams? Definitely not Crompton. They punted the QB issues two years down the road and two years down the road we will be here again, signing some other teams over the hill QB while the rest of the league has their higher tier younger QBs that they were able to develop themselves.
Starter

by idealsheldon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Hey if we get 2-3 strong years from Durant what`s wrong with that? And lots can happen between now and then in terms of other QBs entering the picture.

I think Adams is still a legitimate prospect, others obviously disagree. We will find out soon enough. And Herb`s story on Cato mentioned Greg McGhee and Connor Halliday still being in the picture.

Though I certainly can`t rationalize keeping Crompton around, other than possible veteran insurance should anything happen to Durant during camp.

As far as other teams having younger higher tier QBs, the only ones to enter the league since 2015 have been Jennings and Franklin. They ain`t easy to find.

All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Vernon Adams had a percent completion of 56.0 in 2016 and not "below 50 percent".

Richard
All-Star

by LeStaf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Personally, I think Cato's release is objectively bad for us regardless of who else is on the roster. He was the best pure passer on the team in terms of arm strength, accuracy, touch, and being able to make all the throws from the pocket, and he's only 25. Tremendous upside being cast away because of how he speaks.

Having said that, your point about who remains on the roster is well-taken. And it's not just Crompton to me. Vernon Adams staying says volumes about the blinkered priorities of the staff. Adams is a guy who cannot make the throws, especially not from the pocket. How do you keep a guy like Adams who is barely over 50% on completion and who can't throw a deep ball that doesn't hang in the air, but cut the guy who can throw a football on a rope to a receiver in stride 40 yards downfield?

Au risque de me répéter, je partage parfaitement cette vision de la situation. Les raisons pour lesquelles Cato a été retranché m'échappent totalement, je doute qu'elles aient trait à ce que Cato peut faire ou ne pas faire sur le terrain. Je ne vois pas le plan actuel d'un bon œil en ce qu'Adams a encore tout à prouver, sauf sa capacité à faire face à la pression et sa mobilité. Cato a encore beaucoup de choses à prouver, mais ce qu'il n'a plus à prouver importe plus que les lacunes de Adams. À mon sens, les Alouettes ont capitulé trop tôt à son sujet et j'en suis quasiment à souhaiter que Cato ait la chance de leur faire regretter. Regardant dans une optique de transition avec Durant au poste, il aurait été de loin plus sage de garder Cato dans les environs afin de voir lequel de lui ou Adams se développerait le mieux derrière Durant. Ne garder qu'Adams pour l'avenir est un mauvais coup de dés en soi. Il faudra que le remplaçant de Cato soit foutument bon pour ne pas faire regretter son renvoi, et ce n'est pas Crompton qui le fera oublier.

Pour ma part, j'ai encore mon lot de doutes au sujet de Adams. Je ne demande pas mieux qu'il me fasse mentir, mais je me souviens des mots de Chris Jones à son sujet après la partie sous le déluge à Regina. Il a dit qu'ils savaient qu'il n'était pas capable de réussir les jeux depuis la pochette et qu'il avait préparé la défensive pour le maintenir dans la pochette. Le jeu d'Adams lui a plutôt donné raison en ce que ce dernier a surtout réussi des jeux en se sauvant de la pression. On peut gagner des parties ça et là de cette façon au football canadien, mais les quarts d'aujourd'hui ne peuvent plus se passer de réussir la plupart des jeux depuis la protection. Les Casey Printers n'auront plus beaucoup de succès dans la LCF de nos jours. Printers n'en a pas vraiment eu non plus à sa dernière tentative.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:14 pm

The team releasing Cato doesn`t necessarily mean they chose him over Adams or feel Adams is the better prospect to develop.

For whatever reasons, which for the most part have been brought up here, Chapdelaine, A.C. & co. did not feel they could develop Cato, given the sense of urgency the team is faced with. The decision obviously did not have to do with just talent.

There are 8 other teams - 24 other QB positions - if Cato has in fact been written off prematurely by the Als, there should be another opportunity.

All-Star

by LeStaf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:22 pm

idealsheldon wrote:The team releasing Cato doesn`t necessarily mean they chose him over Adams or feel Adams is the better prospect to develop.

For whatever reasons, which for the most part have been brought up here, Chapdelaine, A.C. & co. did not feel they could develop Cato, given the sense of urgency the team is faced with. The decision obviously did not have to do with just talent.

There are 8 other teams - 24 other QB positions - if Cato has in fact been written off prematurely by the Als, there should be another opportunity.

Justement. Avec l'embauche de Durant, l'urgence se dissipait. Mais effectivement, nous verrons l'évaluation que les autres équipes feront de Cato maintenant qu'il est libre d'aller où il peut.
All-Star

PreviousNext