Rakeem Cato Released???

Re: Rakeem Cato Released???

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:20 am

With all due respect to Cato, do the Als have the luxury of being able to mentor him for another season or two? There is a must win now sense of urgency with the team or risk falling out of the Montreal sports landscape.

Crompton is a whole different matter. He is plain and simple not an accurate passer, probably the No. 1 quality a QB has to have. What they see in him beyond that is mind boggling.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am

idealsheldon wrote:And hard to believe Reed has a high regard for Crompton. :roll:

“He’s a very good quarterback. He’s very good in the locker room. He has that CEO mentality and CEO personality and person that we need and want to carry the franchise,” Reed said. “The QB is the one who’s the face of the franchise. That guy carries the face of the franchise. We expect those guys to have a certain disposition and a certain demeanour. And to conduct themselves in a certain way.”

Je croyais que la première qualité d'un quart-arrière était de pouvoir permettre à son équipe de gagner des parties en réussissant avec constance les jeux qu'il doit exécuter. Peut-être que Herb n'a pas rapporté cette partie des propos de Kavis Reed s'il les a exprimés?
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 am

idealsheldon wrote:With all due respect to Cato, do the Als have the luxury of being able to mentor him for another season or two? There is a must win now sense of urgency with the team or risk falling out of the Montreal sports landscape.

Crompton is a whole different matter. He is plain and simple not an accurate passer, probably the No. 1 quality a QB has to have. What they see in him beyond that is mind boggling.

Sheldon, I see the point you're making, and I'm not arguing against it. We have Durant now. Fine. But why does the team think it's mutually exclusive to have Durant AND to mentor the younger quarterbacks? We're clearly making that investment with Adams, so why not with Cato too? My answer: all the talk about mentorship is just PR garbage. Their idea of mentoring is hoping that Adams magically turns the corner and they are unwilling to actually get in the trenches and HELP Cato.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Sheldon, I see the point you're making, and I'm not arguing against it. We have Durant now. Fine. But why does the team think it's mutually exclusive to have Durant AND to mentor the younger quarterbacks? We're clearly making that investment with Adams, so why not with Cato too? My answer: all the talk about mentorship is just PR garbage. Their idea of mentoring is hoping that Adams magically turns the corner and they are unwilling to actually get in the trenches and HELP Cato.

Je vais poser la question : y a-t-il eu un seul quart-arrière qui s'est développé derrière Calvillo?

Il possible que Calvillo ne soit pas apte à développer des quarts. Si un quart qui lui ressemblait autant que Cato n'a pu être développé, on peut se poser la question. La progression ou l'absence de progression d'Adams devrait nous en dire plus long. Pour l'instant, Calvillo a la confiance de Chapdelaine, aussi je vais lui laisser le bénéfice du doute. Chapdelaine a eu plusieurs entraîneurs de quarts sous sa gouverne.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm

LeStaf wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Sheldon, I see the point you're making, and I'm not arguing against it. We have Durant now. Fine. But why does the team think it's mutually exclusive to have Durant AND to mentor the younger quarterbacks? We're clearly making that investment with Adams, so why not with Cato too? My answer: all the talk about mentorship is just PR garbage. Their idea of mentoring is hoping that Adams magically turns the corner and they are unwilling to actually get in the trenches and HELP Cato.

Je vais poser la question : y a-t-il eu un seul quart-arrière qui s'est développé derrière Calvillo?

Il possible que Calvillo ne soit pas apte à développer des quarts. Si un quart qui lui ressemblait autant que Cato n'a pu être développé, on peut se poser la question. La progression ou l'absence de progression d'Adams devrait nous en dire plus long. Pour l'instant, Calvillo a la confiance de Chapdelaine, aussi je vais lui laisser le bénéfice du doute. Chapdelaine a eu plusieurs entraîneurs de quarts sous sa gouverne.

That's a good additional point. I too am going to give AC the benefit of the doubt for now. He's finally in a role that he's suited for -- QB coach only, with no other responsibilities. Let's see how well he can mentor Adams. My big qualm is that we're keeping the guy with demonstrably inferior on-field skills -- Adams -- instead of the more talented QB whose issues are *more easily coached*. You can coach patience and maturity; you can't coach talent.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 pm

That`s a good question LeStaf asking about AC. He really hasn`t proven anything as yet in his short career as an assistant. However the argument can be made that he has been surrounded by turmoil. I guess we`ll know more seeing him work with Chapdelaine.

But another thought crossed my mind. And that is Chapdelaine`s ability to handle "challenging situations " for lack of a better term. He`s divorced Carter, Sweet, Cato, and surrounded himself with a coaching staff that is "comfortable", not necessarily "competent".
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:30 pm

idealsheldon wrote:But another thought crossed my mind. And that is Chapdelaine`s ability to handle "challenging situations " for lack of a better term. He`s divorced Carter, Sweet, Cato, and surrounded himself with a coaching staff that is "comfortable", not necessarily "competent".

Not to mention hiring his son to coach receivers and booting Anwar Stewart because he was apparently "opinionated." I'll wait and see how they do but Chap sure isn't impressing me with his coaching staff and his personnel decisions right now.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm

The more Kavis Reed talks, the more I think it is critically important, critically important that he shuts up.

I think this has a lot more to do with Torah than anything else.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by drummer_god » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Cato is mediocre QB with the horrible attitude in a professional setting. This isn't a learning institution. This is professional level. He was given plenty of opportunity and time and time again displayed that he's not mature enough to stay employed at a professional level.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:37 pm

drummer_god wrote:Cato is mediocre QB with the horrible attitude in a professional setting. This isn't a learning institution. This is professional level. He was given plenty of opportunity and time and time again displayed that he's not mature enough to stay employed at a professional level.

A QB Guru !

First of all he improved over two seasons. At least he can throw a football where he wants to. Crompton has thrown more one hopper in the turf than Cato has incompletions.

Second he can stay healthy, Crompton spent 35 CONSECUTIVE games on the injured list. He makes Ricky Ray look like the Terminator.

The nice thing about all these moves is that if Kavis Reed fails he will be fired six games into the season.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by RougeMe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:51 pm

I don't see where Jon Crompton fits into the team's short term or long range plans. His past performances demonstrated that he's not a starting QB. Approaching 30, and injury prone, he isn't a development candidate either.

If he's on the roster because of an old injury, then release him as soon as he is "cured", and bring in another rookie QB or two to compete with Adams for the #2 spot.

It's been ages since Calvillo's last game. I am afraid there's still a long way to go until we are set at the QB position.
Starter

by RougeMe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

There just aren't enough quality QBs coming out of NCAA schools to supply the NFL. Survey that league, and you will find that more than half the teams are struggling to find a competent starting quarterback, let alone backups to fill the depth chart.

This deficit has tremendous impact on the CFL where teams can't use $$$ as a lure like they did decades ago. So CFL scouts search for undersized players (like Cato and Adams) at D1 schools, or for overlooked talent coming out of small college FCS conferences.

I am wondering if there is a science rather than an art to this, and that some CFL teams are better at finding QBs than others because they have a search method that doesn't depend heavily on good luck.

Thoughts?
Starter

by Niagara Als » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:22 pm

My thoughts are with those of you who were surprised at Cato's release. Even with Durant, it does appear that there is not much depth at the QB position. Cato did demonstrate improvement last season. His attitude was better last season and he has the natural talent of accuracy in his throws. I still feel that long completion to Cunningham at season's end showed he " had the touch". If Durant and Adams come down with injury early in 2017, we would back with Crompton's third season at QB.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 am

RougeMe wrote:There just aren't enough quality QBs coming out of NCAA schools to supply the NFL. Survey that league, and you will find that more than half the teams are struggling to find a competent starting quarterback, let alone backups to fill the depth chart.

This deficit has tremendous impact on the CFL where teams can't use $$$ as a lure like they did decades ago. So CFL scouts search for undersized players (like Cato and Adams) at D1 schools, or for overlooked talent coming out of small college FCS conferences.

I am wondering if there is a science rather than an art to this, and that some CFL teams are better at finding QBs than others because they have a search method that doesn't depend heavily on good luck.

Thoughts?

S'il y avait une méthode scientifique pour identifier les quarts-arrières qui auront du succès chez les professionnels, tout le monde la connaîtrait et l'utiliserait. C'est le genre de secret qui ne le demeure pas longtemps. Aussi doit-on d'abord présumer qu'il s'agit d'un art davantage que d'une science.

Il demeure cependant que certaines équipes de la LCF semblent avoir plus de flair que d'autres pour identifier des talents qui pourront se développer. Je pense aux Lions qui ont su remarquer Lylay, Reilly et Jennings dans une période de 6 ans. 3 quarts-arrières performants dans un si court laps de temps est impressionnant. On pourrait aussi donner au moins ce crédit à Barker qui a été chercher Collaros et Harris. On verra comment se développera le jeune Fajardo, en qui je vois un très beau potentiel. On ne peut passer sous silence les Stampeders qui ont passer somme toute rapidement de Burris à Mitchell à cause du court épisode de Tate comme partant, et seulement parce que ce dernier avait de la difficulté à rester en santé plus que 3 parties de suite. Tate performait très bien comme partant, mais ses séjours prolongés sur la liste des blessés a décidé de son sort. D'avoir identifié Mitchell aussi rapidement est un bon coup également.

Le problème de Popp est peut-être qu'il n'a pas eu à se poser cette question assez souvent dans sa carrière. Il a bâti sa première équipe avec un vétéran et un porteur de ballon hors du commun, et a hérité d'un substitut qui s'est avéré d'une qualité et d'une longévité exceptionnelles. S'il avait eu à recruter davantage à cette position, peut-être les Alouettes auraient-ils eu plus de flair maintenant. Le fait est que jusqu'à maintenant, à part Cato et Adams, les recrutements à cette position n'ont pas été heureux. Par ailleurs, je ne sais pas pourquoi ça s'est passé comme ça, mais Manley n'était pas un candidat sans intérêt non plus. Il a cependant vite disparu des radars.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 am

I`ve always had these questions when it comes to elite CFL QB s like BLM, Reilly, Harris, Jennings:

1) How much is their success based on raw talent, how much is it based on coaching?

2) Can good coaching develop a QB who doesn`t have great raw talent?

3) Can poor coaching prevent a QB who does have raw talent from developing?

My personal opinion is the QB has to have the raw talent and can then be further developed by coaching. But if he does not have accuracy, arm strength, etc., Buono, Dickenson & Co. will not be able to help him.

And it is getting far more difficult for QBs to slip through the NFL cracks.
All-Star

PreviousNext