2017 Coaching Staff

Re: 2017 Coaching Staff

by Niagara Als » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 am

The OL was not a good functioning last season. I do believe an American import is essential- a first step to improve the OL. WE do have a few OL players on the practice team but, are they good enough to play LT? I don't even know if we are recruiting or, have been recruiting last Fall. The OL guys we now have did not make starter last season. Most likely they will not make starters this season. I would like the team to bring in a few OTs to complete with our starters on the practice squad to hopefully get much better quality of imports to vie for the LT position. I had not seen any evidence that the team does have a quality recruitment person on staff. Are their any free agent players who are known to lead the team as good quality OL?
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:56 am

The whole offense was non functioning. From the Coaches on down to the backup running back.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 am

HfxTC wrote:http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/football-lcf-rencontre-avec-le-personnel-d-entr-351294.mp3

Coach's luncheon appreciated by the media... :thup:

- Calvillo taking an indirect shot at Popp in saying there was no emphasis on watching video.

- Bolduc calling Glenn a career backup relative to Durant, and that Glenn continued to make the same mistakes such as interceptions late in games. Feels his size hurt his field vision.

- It is time Foucault made a decision.

- S.J. Green still in the team`s plans and in the text of the interview:

« Il est prévu qu’il vienne faire un tour au stade la semaine prochaine pour que l’on puisse commencer à travailler sur le plan de match pour cette saison. "

Not sure if that means they want his input on game planning or to discuss his rehab schedule.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 am

Looking/watching videos-Als site- where S.J. is running and catching the ball, I can't imagine that he won't be ready for training camp, which is basically 4 months from now.

Richard
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:Looking/watching videos-Als site- where S.J. is running and catching the ball, I can't imagine that he won't be ready for training camp, which is basically 4 months from now.

Richard

SJ was operated around mid-august. Which means his 9 month post-op checkup should be around the middle of May. He's doing really well but surgeons are pretty weary of allowing any contact before 12 months.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:33 pm

S.J. Green's reply yesterday to Jacques Chapdelaine was: "But what if he is."

Honestly though, the video Green posted is meaningless. His true test will be how he compares to other Als receivers whenever he is declared healthy. Assistant GM Joe Mack was hired because of his American connections. I hope Mack does a good job and brings in competition and makes it difficult for Green and all the other current pass catchers to earn a roster spot.

Also in that article on Anthony Calvillo, Herb Zurkowsky wrote that both Jim Popp and Mark Weightman were fired: "For those who believe Calvillo has a job in the organization for life, he said nobody is untouchable. If the organization could fire Popp and president Mark Weightman, nothing can be assumed or taken for granted."

For the LT position, Xavier Fulton is likely a candidate. He has previously worked with both Jacques Chapdelaine & Darian Durant, is experienced, and yet not too expensive.

The assumption is that the Als will go import at LT. However, the team only has 1 RT on the roster in import rookie Michael Bamiro. If the Als use 4 non-imports on the line, Jacob Ruby would probably be one of them but where would he play?
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Ruby would either slot in place of Gagnon or he would be the sixth linesman. Since he could spot in at Tackle and guard possibly. Or if LBJ makes the team as a sixth linesman then possibly one of the linesman is out of a job. Personally not a fan of Fulton, for one he's pricier than some might think and he isn't a dominant tackle in the CFL.
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:10 pm

HfxTC wrote:Ruby would either slot in place of Gagnon or he would be the sixth linesman. Since he could spot in at Tackle and guard possibly. Or if LBJ makes the team as a sixth linesman then possibly one of the linesman is out of a job. Personally not a fan of Fulton, for one he's pricier than some might think and he isn't a dominant tackle in the CFL.

If you go import on the OL they have to be well above average
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

GHT120 wrote:If you go import on the OL they have to be well above average

Yes, and it's worth noting that international O-linemen aren't a magic bullet solution. Other teams struggle with their line despite dressing one or even two Americans.

I would be OK with going international at LT but that's all.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:57 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:

Yes, and it's worth noting that international O-linemen aren't a magic bullet solution. Other teams struggle with their line despite dressing one or even two Americans.

Does Neal Fort have a kid yet?
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 pm

GHT120 wrote:

:lol: Does Uzoma Okeke have a son? What's he up to? ;)
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:15 pm

GHT120 wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Yes, and it's worth noting that international O-linemen aren't a magic bullet solution. Other teams struggle with their line despite dressing one or even two Americans.

:lol: Does Uzoma Okeke have a son? What's he up to? ;)

Maybe Ed George has a grandson.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:I can see the wisdom in trying an American at LT but I don't think we need another American at RT. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because the line struggled in a year when everything else on offense also went wrong.

Personnellement, je me fous totalement du passeport du plaqueur à gauche. Ce que je veux, c'est qu'il fasse le travail parce que c'est une position critique. C'est le seul critère.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 am

idealsheldon wrote:It appears the special teams coach has been hired, but likely can`t be announced until his NCAA contract is up.

"As well, a new special-teams coordinator will be named to replace Kavis Reed, who succeeded the fired Jim Popp as general manager in December. That coach, who has NCAA experience, has been in Montreal this week participating in meetings and will probably be announced in March."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... line-staff

Also Anwar Stewart was interviewed for the job.

"Meanwhile Anwar Stewart, who isn’t returning as defensive-line coach, interviewed for the special teams co-ordinator’s role — according to Chapdelaine — relinquished by Kavis Reed when he replaced Popp as GM."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... ching-role

"Sur le plan défensif, le coordonnateur défensif Noel Thorpe ne se retrouve pas dans la situation particulière de l’an passé. Il n'essaie pas de renoncer à son mandat avec les Alouettes, mais il a choisi de ne pas retenir les services d'Anwar Stewart comme entraîneur de la ligne défensive.

Selon les dires de Chapdelaine, Stewart deviendra encore un meilleur entraîneur en allant perfectionner ses connaissances auprès d’une autre organisation. "

http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/un-entourage-au-gout-de-chapdelaine-1.4346742
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:Looking/watching videos-Als site- where S.J. is running and catching the ball, I can't imagine that he won't be ready for training camp, which is basically 4 months from now.

Richard

Au début du camp d'entraînement de la dernière saison, LBJ faisait des "sprints" avec Crompton sur les lignes de côté. Il faisait aussi des mouvements latéraux. Mais de son propre aveu, il n'était vraiment pas prêt à retourner sur le terrain. Green a subi une blessure aussi sérieuse. Je le vois mal revenir pour débuter la saison.
All-Star

PreviousNext