2017 Coaching Staff

Re: 2017 Coaching Staff

by LeStaf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Bigshot wrote:The problem with Sweet is that he was still using the old school method by shouting insults to his players that is no longer suited for today's player generation but it does not deprive him of the competence he has.

LBJ me disait l'an dernier qu'il n'avait pas cette attitude chez les Alouettes. Maintenant, je n'était pas à côté d'eux lors des entraînements.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Davis just wanted to get his cheap shot in there and not to his face obviously :wink:
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 pm

A bit of an explanation of the def. coaches roles. Sounds a bit Gary Etcheverryish. And no true d-line coach to teach technique. But hey let`s wait and see. Gotta keep some of the complaining for Aug.- Sept.

http://3downnation.com/2017/02/03/aloue ... entional/y
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

I still think it's idiotic. So Quick is the DL coach who will spend some time with the linebackers, and Parker is the DB coach who will spend some time with the linebackers, but there is no coach whose base responsibility is the linebackers, even though there IS a coach dedicated entirely to safeties (Hogan). :roll:

What this tells me is that we're going to continue to be poor against the run, because the defensive coordinator thinks linebackers are either undersized linemen or oversized defensive backs.

The best part of that piece was this:

"Lastly, I can tell you that Calvillo is taking this “demotion” in stride. For anyone who paid attention to the Alouettes last year, it was clear that he was overwhelmed and not ready for the responsibility of being the offensive coordinator.

During our chat on Friday, Calvillo admitted that there were small details in the passing game, running game and protection that he wasn’t even aware of last season. Now, he’ll get to sit back and work with a veteran quarterback in Darian Durant and veteran offensive mind in Chapdelaine."

For anyone who thought Calvillo was upset at the demotion...
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:43 pm

The most interesting line of the presser for me is this

« Il nous aide à considérer ça de manière très sérieuse. C’est possible qu’on ajoute des joueurs canadiens en défense, ça va dépendre du nombre d’Américains sur la ligne offensive », a convenu Chapdelaine.

That implies that they've decided to go with an Import at LT and competition is open at RT.

Also pointed that if Foucault is looking at the Als as a backup plan the team has to more on with its recruting/signing...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

I can see the wisdom in trying an American at LT but I don't think we need another American at RT. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because the line struggled in a year when everything else on offense also went wrong.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by CFL in QC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36 pm

HfxTC wrote:The most interesting line of the presser for me is this

« Il nous aide à considérer ça de manière très sérieuse. C’est possible qu’on ajoute des joueurs canadiens en défense, ça va dépendre du nombre d’Américains sur la ligne offensive », a convenu Chapdelaine.

That implies that they've decided to go with an Import at LT and competition is open at RT.

Also pointed that if Foucault is looking at the Als as a backup plan the team has to more on with its recruting/signing...

That number could also be zero... 8)
Just saying...
Rookie

by idealsheldon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm

It appears the special teams coach has been hired, but likely can`t be announced until his NCAA contract is up.

"As well, a new special-teams coordinator will be named to replace Kavis Reed, who succeeded the fired Jim Popp as general manager in December. That coach, who has NCAA experience, has been in Montreal this week participating in meetings and will probably be announced in March."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... line-staff

Also Anwar Stewart was interviewed for the job.

"Meanwhile Anwar Stewart, who isn’t returning as defensive-line coach, interviewed for the special teams co-ordinator’s role — according to Chapdelaine — relinquished by Kavis Reed when he replaced Popp as GM."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... ching-role
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by Hail Mary » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Calvillo is a Stand Up Guy, putting the team ahead of ego. A selfie isn't about the team. Winning is a total team effort. Encouraging to see some people still get this. Hopefully, with a few seasons under his belt, Calvillo will rise to the top, Anthony "Touchdown" Calvillo baby!
Rookie

by HfxTC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm

CFL in QC wrote:

Just saying...

Could be but Jacques thinks in English. "It will depend on how many Americans on the Oline". That is a strong indication that its not if but how many.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:57 pm

http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/f ... 351294.mp3

Coach's luncheon appreciated by the media... :thup:
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:12 am

HfxTC wrote:
CFL in QC wrote:

Just saying...

Could be but Jacques thinks in English. "It will depend on how many Americans on the Oline". That is a strong indication that its not if but how many.

One american on the O-line, ONLY at left tackle, is acceptable and even great if he is a high caliber player. 2 or more americans on the O-line, then the GM's drafts are a failure...

Any GM worth more than a half can of bacon fat, can find 4 good National o-line players, by drafting them before he needs them (like Popp did for years). With the National offensive lineman Popp stockpiled for us, there is no reason to not have at least 4 National starters.

If Bede is our kicker/punter, he is also an international. If you have an international kicker/punter, and 2 international offensive lineman, your are phoqued ratio wise... :thdn:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:21 am

JC came of age as an OC in 2006 when they won the Grey Cup. BC totally reworked their ratio where they went with two dominant import tackles. Rob Murphy and Jason Jiminez and 3 Canadian receivers along with Geroy Simon. ( canadians were Paris Jackson, Ryan Thelwell and Jason Clermont none of whom caught more than 55 i don't think.) Sask was at its best with 4 Can receivers. Personally I would look hard for a Can RB. That's the true ratio buster imo

Reworking the ratio is not rocket science. You need 7 Canadian starters. Start with 3 on the OL, 1 safety, 1-2 receiver 1 -2 on DL. 1-2 DB. There are lots of options. Some teams are at 8-9 NI starting including Ottawa at times.

But the first priority is to protect Durant. JC gets it. Nothing works without that.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:49 am

jamie wrote:JC came of age as an OC in 2006 when they won the Grey Cup. BC totally reworked their ratio where they went with two dominant import tackles. Rob Murphy and Jason Jiminez and 3 Canadian receivers along with Geroy Simon. ( canadians were Paris Jackson, Ryan Thelwell and Jason Clermont none of whom caught more than 55 i don't think.) Sask was at its best with 4 Can receivers. Personally I would look hard for a Can RB. That's the true ratio buster imo

Reworking the ratio is not rocket science. You need 7 Canadian starters. Start with 3 on the OL, 1 safety, 1-2 receiver 1 -2 on DL. 1-2 DB. There are lots of options. Some teams are at 8-9 NI starting including Ottawa at times.

But the first priority is to protect Durant. JC gets it. Nothing works without that.

We do not have a Geroy Simon to stretch the field and draw coverage away from the canadian receivers. We do not have 3 very good canadian receivers like BC had in 2006.

And, when one of them goes down to injury, you need a replacement that is as good, or at least serviceable.

It is not as easy as you are trying to make it seem.
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 am

That's why you need to start recruiting and drafting differently. Those 3 NI receivers were not stars. They got good by playing.
Draft some Can receivers/ RB. Target Can receivers at FA. Recruit some burners from down south.

It starts with a coherent philosophy.

And to me number one: The best O-Line plays regardless of passports. Protect Durant.
All-Star

PreviousNext