Listening to Durant Q&A: Zurkowsky's got to go !

Re: Listening to Durant Q&A: Zurkowsky's got to go !

by disciplineandpunish » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Yeah, put Herb next to Vercheval and even Eric Leblanc and it's not even close. The latter two are pro journalists who do their job with respect and diligence. The former is a lazy hack playing out the string until retirement or Postmedia's golden handshake.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 am

idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:
I for one am grateful Herb is the beat reporter for the Als. Without him, the only news that we would see are the team's sanitized press releases.

Herb does bring information, that`s his job. He`s paid to attend practices, talk to players, coaches, etc. His main source of under the radar stuff is player agents Gill and Fleiszer. The problem I (we) have is the negative slant he brings to most stories. He doesn`t have to be a cheerleader, just more balanced. He`s a reporter, not an editorialist.

When Jovon Johnson had some Mtl. traffic issues, Herb actually wrote that this would deter free agents from signing with the Als. :roll:

The Als organization can`t stand him. Last training camp I heard Abrams trading shots with him over his reporting that Cato had lost his passport.

Now Okie as a big fan who brings alot of great info here, you have to come to Montreal to learn some French. You`ll then get to appreciate what some of the objective RDS reporters like Vercheval and Lapointe have to offer. I`m sure Johnny can fix you up with a teacher. :D

Okay Okie. Let's start with the most important Québecois french words.

Ost*, tabar***, cr*sse, p*tain.

Practice those. Johnny will have more for you tomorrow. :D
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by okie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 am

If Zurkowsky didn't care, he could just half-ass his job and do the minimum. Instead, he goes out and gets the good scoops. How come I never hear the good dirt from anybody else since he is not the only one covering the Als?

As far as the negative slant in his columns goes, I don't really see that either. To me, that stuff is somewhere between neutral and mildly amusing. Nothing close to being offensive.

I would have no problem getting rid of Herb if he was not respected by the CFL community and was viewed as just a big joke. In fact, it is just the opposite.
All-Star

by ro1313 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:08 am

okie wrote:As far as the negative slant in his columns goes, I don't really see that either. To me, that stuff is somewhere between neutral and mildly amusing. Nothing close to being offensive.

Its there, its always there
One thing he wrote that I will always remember after the Als creamed Calgary(I believe)

" There were over 25,000 at McGill yesterday, all of them wishing they had stayed home and watched the NFL for free"
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 am

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:
I for one am grateful Herb is the beat reporter for the Als. Without him, the only news that we would see are the team's sanitized press releases.

Herb does bring information, that`s his job. He`s paid to attend practices, talk to players, coaches, etc. His main source of under the radar stuff is player agents Gill and Fleiszer. The problem I (we) have is the negative slant he brings to most stories. He doesn`t have to be a cheerleader, just more balanced. He`s a reporter, not an editorialist.

When Jovon Johnson had some Mtl. traffic issues, Herb actually wrote that this would deter free agents from signing with the Als. :roll:

The Als organization can`t stand him. Last training camp I heard Abrams trading shots with him over his reporting that Cato had lost his passport.

Now Okie as a big fan who brings alot of great info here, you have to come to Montreal to learn some French. You`ll then get to appreciate what some of the objective RDS reporters like Vercheval and Lapointe have to offer. I`m sure Johnny can fix you up with a teacher. :D

Okay Okie. Let's start with the most important Québecois french words.

Ost*, tabar***, cr*sse, p*tain.

Practice those. Johnny will have more for you tomorrow. :D

C'est presque ça, Johnny!

Mais pour bien pratiquer, ce serait :

Ost* de Herb
tabar*** de Herb
cr*sse de Herb
p*tain (celui-là, non; c'est Français, pas Québécois) :twisted:

Bon, c'est pas sérieux. Pour revenir au personnage, oui Zurkowsky sort des nouvelles et rapporte des informations (quoique Lawless a l'air d'être en train de le rattraper côté scoops sur les Alouettes), mais la seule fois où j'ai vu Herb écrire sans négativisme au sujet des Alouettes, c'est quand il a encensé Maciocia pour devenir DG. Quand son chouchou a été laissé de côté, il est vite revenu à ses habitudes. Il est pas capable de ne pas donner un côté tendancieux (en français, ça veut toujours dire avec un côté négatif) à ses reportages, ou à glisser quelque chose qui dénigre l'équipe, même si ça a aucun rapport avec l'essence de son sujet.

Ceci veut dire qu'il mêle son ressentiment personnel à ce qu'il écrit. Ce n'est pas du journalisme. C'est de l'éditorial à la Réjean "le Miteux" Tremblay (à la différence que Herb connaît le football canadien, à la différence de l'autre). Herb n'a pas à être un fan, mais quand tu es journaliste, tu ne dois pas faire glisser les faits vers un rapport artificiellement négatif ou positif. En ce sens, Vercheval, Proulx, Heppell et Leblanc sont une référence. S'ils écrivaient ou rapportaient en anglais de cette manière, on ne parlerait plus de Herb Zurkowsky que comme le MadHonni, pardon, Madani de Montréal.

Je comprends okie d'apprécier le fait que Herb lève beaucoup d'histoires sur les Alouettes, mais sa façon de le faire contribue à développer une perception plus négative de l'équipe que celle qu'elle mérite. Il serait temps qu'il mette ses rancunes de côté et qu'il se contente de rapporter les faits sans que son jupon dépasse à chaque fois.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 am

Herb does one thing well: player profiles. Everything else is either phoned in or reeks of venom. I know his type exactly. He got into journalism in the '70s when degree requirements and qualifications were minimal at best and has ridden that job, in mediocre white guy fashion, for decades. If he were in a television show, it would be The Office, not The West Wing. ;)
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Deep thought of the day from a brilliant journalist:

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 50m50 minutes ago

Wow. So now Scott Milanovich has resigned as head coach in Toronto. I'm guessing #AlsMTL won't finish last in East Division next season.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:28 am

idealsheldon wrote:Deep thought of the day from a brilliant journalist:

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 50m50 minutes ago

Wow. So now Scott Milanovich has resigned as head coach in Toronto. I'm guessing #AlsMTL won't finish last in East Division next season.

Herb, take the lady's advice.

"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

Previous