Durant's rights traded to Montreal

Re: Durant's rights traded to Montreal

by GHT120 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:
GHT120 wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Well, we already dress a national receiver (Giguere), so really, it would be a matter of giving him a spot in the starting four ...

AND have another National who can sub in part-time and/or step up in case of injury.

Graves and Charette, no?

On the roster .... yes
On the field ...... haven't seen a lot of confidence displayed in them other than spot duty.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 pm

GHT120 wrote:On the roster .... yes
On the field ...... haven't seen a lot of confidence displayed in them other than spot duty.

I think Charette has potential. He's just had some bad injury luck the past couple of years. Graves is just a backup, you're right, but expecting us to go from not starting a national receiver to starting a good one (Giguere) plus good depth might be a bit much in one year. ;)
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by CFL in QC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 pm

LeStaf wrote: Je me demande si les Alouettes ne seraient pas tentés de remplacer Cox par Venable, même si ce dernier a encore au moins une bonne saison à donner. Ceci pourrait permettre de garder Venable et peut-être de faire une place pour Koster dans le rôle que Venable occupait la saison passée.

You know, I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The stumbling-block to your idea IMO is Venable's foot speed. Can he match up in coverage against another team's fourth or fifth receiver and also fulfill his other duties?

Relativement à Davis comme joueur pouvant possiblement faire la transition vers le poste de secondeur, il a la rapidité mais surtout le côté physique pour pouvoir faire cette transition. Il frappe fort et pourra faire des plaqués même en confrontation avec la ligne offensive adverse. Ce serait à lui par contre de démontrer qu'il a les bons instincts de football canadien pour pouvoir assumer cette charge, et c'est un intangible qui, je crois, ne pourra être mesuré cette année. Il lui faudrait, je pense, au moins une saison comme substitut pour apprendre la position.

Exactly.

SAM is such a weird position to fill. It demands so many different skills but you have to find a DB who is essentially the weakest link in your coverage group -- if he were stronger in coverage, you'd keep him at DB. That's how we found Chip. He spent two years as DHB and he just couldn't cover, but when he shifted to SAM linebacker in 2009, it was magic. Instead of facing opposing teams' top receivers snap after snap, he could drop into coverage occasionally against weaker receivers and be the ballhawking, form-tackling demon he's been ever since.

What would you think about Brouillette as SAM ?
He did great as a replacement of Hebert 2 or 3 years ago...
Rookie

by HfxTC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Cox can still run down receivers. Venable has never and will never be able to do that. Someone is smoking Purple Candy Kush.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 pm

HfxTC wrote:Cox can still run down receivers. Venable has never and will never be able to do that. Someone is smoking Purple Candy Kush.

That's my point about foot speed. I don't think Venable has the wheels to play strong-side LB. Will or Mike for him, I'd say.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 pm

CFL in QC wrote:What would you think about Brouillette as SAM ?

Well, first off, the age thing. Brouillette is nearing the end of his career so for that reason alone I'd say no. But more importantly, he doesn't have the skill set to play SAM. He was great as a Will replacement for Hebert, as you noted, but that's a position with more limited responsibility and far less coverage duty. Brouillette has never rushed off the edge on a blitz, can't be trusted to cover any receiver on his own (that's why he plays safety), and doesn't have the football IQ to read and react at the line. So I'd say no.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:37 am

Only player to be listed as a backup for Chip Cox last year was Jared Koster. When he was interviewed around NFL Draft time, he said his strengths were his speed and Football IQ. From what I gather though, he has never played in the secondary at any level. Furthermore, I do not recall him ever being on the field as a LB during a CFL regular season game.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 am

Chip is still elite in my books and would be signed in the first hour of being cut by any of the other eight teams.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 am

HfxTC wrote:Chip is still elite in my books and would be signed in the first hour of being cut by any of the other eight teams.

I agree. I don't want to cut him. He still plays at a high level and the reason his impact has fallen off isn't because of performance but because of how he's being used. Guy can still chase down receivers from behind across the length of the field, form-tackle perfectly, and flow to the ball. Very high football IQ.
Hall of Famer

by CFL in QC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:30 am

CFL in QC wrote:What would you think about Brouillette as SAM ?

Well, first off, the age thing. Brouillette is nearing the end of his career so for that reason alone I'd say no. But more importantly, he doesn't have the skill set to play SAM. He was great as a Will replacement for Hebert, as you noted, but that's a position with more limited responsibility and far less coverage duty. Brouillette has never rushed off the edge on a blitz, can't be trusted to cover any receiver on his own (that's why he plays safety), and doesn't have the football IQ to read and react at the line. So I'd say no.

When replacing Hebert, he recorded 6 sacs in part of a season...
I'm not a big fan of Brouillette as a safety but he impressed me as a LB...
Rookie

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:35 am

Will and Sam are two vastly different LB positions...
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 am

Last season when I would ask myself who could adequately replace Chip if he went down, the only player I could see based on experience and athleticism was Jovon Johnson. But obviously he would have been only a stopgap solution.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:44 am

HfxTC wrote:Cox can still run down receivers. Venable has never and will never be able to do that. Someone is smoking Purple Candy Kush.

Je laisse la boucane à Justin. :P

Venable est rapide également, mais je ne sais effectivement pas s'il a ce qu'il faut pour assumer tous les rôles de cette position. Mais pour moi, il n'est pas moins rapide que Ramon Guzman qu'on a aussi vu à cette position en rotation avec Cox sur certains jeux. Venable n'est pas moins rapide que d'autre joueurs de la LCF qui occupent cette position. La question est plus ses capacités de couvreur, c'est vrai que c'est peut^-être moins sa tasse de thé.

Cela dit, Venable cherche un poste de partant avec un salaire de partant, et je crois qu'il pourra l'avoir. Il est un joueur de haut niveau qui entre dans ses meilleures années. Si les Alouettes veulent le garder, ils devront faire des choix, et pour Venable, ce ne sera pas d'être un joueur en rotation.

Les Alouettes ont vraiment un beau problème avec leurs secondeurs. Ils ont trop de gars qui pourraient être des partants.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by LeStaf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:50 am

idealsheldon wrote:Last season when I would ask myself who could adequately replace Chip if he went down, the only player I could see based on experience and athleticism was Jovon Johnson. But obviously he would have been only a stopgap solution.

On ne remplacera pas Chip Cox. On trouvera un joueur pour jouer à sa position, mais on ne le remplacera pas. Cox a un mélange assez unique comme joueur. Il a été jusqu'à l'an passé un des joueurs les plus rapide de la LCF, il est robuste, intense, il a un sens du football hors du commun, il peut faire les blitz comme aller en couverture de passe de temps en temps, il a vraiment un coffre d'outils assez unique.

Il faudra que le coordonnateur défensif manie ses schémas de jeux avec son successeur non en fonction de ce que Cox pouvait faire mais en fonction de ce que son successeur pourra faire, parce que trouver quelqu'un avec les mêmes attributs que Cox pour prendre sa relève sera aussi facile que de trouver un remplaçant à Anthony Calvillo qui aurait instantanément les mêmes qualités qu'il avait l'année avant sa retraite.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by Bigshot » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:40 pm

I will see well Mincy to replace Cox in a year because it is fast, physical, excellent on press cover and tackle . Also, we have a lot of depth at DB. What do you thinks?
Rookie

PreviousNext