Durant's rights traded to Montreal

Re: Durant's rights traded to Montreal

by RichardVeilleux » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't understand why GM's don't put pressure on their Owners to increase the cap by more than $50,000, which is less than 1% of max. cap; while this increase is part of the collective agreement signed in 2014, the annual increase of $50,000 can always be more. The Owners/Commissioner don't have to negotiate with the Players if they decide to have an increase of more than $50,000.

To me, it should definitely not be less than a yearly increase of $100,000 and as much as $150,000.

Richard
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:54 pm

That was the CFLPA's fight not the General Managers who work FOR the owners. They had their shot and made the deal they wanted to make. I don't see an issue.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Kavis Reed said after the signing of Durant that the next issue is to fix the Offensive Line. That would imply adding somebody to the starting lineup not already on the roster. Either he wants to sign a non-import for the line or someone at another position to open up a spot for an import. Signing David Foucault and having him start at Left Tackle is probably close to the top of the list. Starting the same OL at the same positions or slightly reshuffled would mean Reed was unable to implement any of his more favored plans.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:34 pm

okie wrote:Kavis Reed said after the signing of Durant that the next issue is to fix the Offensive Line. That would imply adding somebody to the starting lineup not already on the roster. Either he wants to sign a non-import for the line or someone at another position to open up a spot for an import. Signing David Foucault and having him start at Left Tackle is probably close to the top of the list. Starting the same OL at the same positions or slightly reshuffled would mean Reed was unable to implement any of his more favored plans.

Not necessarily. Fix could just mean coming up with the optimal line combination. It could also involve changing O-line coaches.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by tony » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:41 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:I still think Cox has at least one more good year in him but goddamn it, Thorpe has to stop playing him in coverage or deep at safety. Put him back at the line, play him like a true SAM linebacker. Let him find the play, make tackles, and force fumbles. He's never been a great cover guy, and losing a half-step due to age will make his coverage skills worse, not better.

Agree with you about moving him from safety.
However being paid $140-160k for another season though is tough if you ask me. Maybe for a reduced salary.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm

tony wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:I still think Cox has at least one more good year in him but goddamn it, Thorpe has to stop playing him in coverage or deep at safety. Put him back at the line, play him like a true SAM linebacker. Let him find the play, make tackles, and force fumbles. He's never been a great cover guy, and losing a half-step due to age will make his coverage skills worse, not better.

However being paid $140-160k for another season though is tough if you ask me. Maybe for a reduced salary.

Chip is a warrior and a true emblem of this team's grit. He's been an Al since Matthews brought him into the league in 2006 and has been a tremendous presence on the field for over 10 years. I get that the cap might force us into a difficult position but if there's one player who has earned the right to walk away on his own terms, it's Chip Cox.

The other question, which I've asked implicitly, is: if you cut Cox, who replaces him at SAM? We have potential replacements but they are very inexperienced and will cost us games and wins as they learn on the job. If you want Cox gone, it's a fair position, but I am willing to bet that the hole generated by his absence will remind us of the old adage: you don't know what you've got until it's gone. ;)
Hall of Famer

by tony » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:
tony wrote:

Chip is a warrior and a true emblem of this team's grit. He's been an Al since Matthews brought him into the league in 2006 and has been a tremendous presence on the field for over 10 years. I get that the cap might force us into a difficult position but if there's one player who has earned the right to walk away on his own terms, it's Chip Cox.

The other question, which I've asked implicitly, is: if you cut Cox, who replaces him at SAM? We have potential replacements but they are very inexperienced and will cost us games and wins as they learn on the job. If you want Cox gone, it's a fair position, but I am willing to bet that the hole generated by his absence will remind us of the old adage: you don't know what you've got until it's gone. ;)

Just saying that at $140k-160k, that's a big chunk of change. Especially given Reed signing Durant to $400k plus a season.
Sadly, there will be fall out and difficult decisions to be made. Sooner or later, they will have to find a replacement for Cox.
All-Star

by okie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:26 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Not necessarily. Fix could just mean coming up with the optimal line combination. It could also involve changing O-line coaches.

Those are controlled by Jacques Chapdelaine. Kavis Reed is in charge of acquiring players. In my opinion, he is telegraphing that what he has for an OL is insufficient, and that his goal is to obtain a player(s) that leads to the improvement of the line.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 pm

okie wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Not necessarily. Fix could just mean coming up with the optimal line combination. It could also involve changing O-line coaches.

Those are controlled by Jacques Chapdelaine. Kavis Reed is in charge of acquiring players. In my opinion, he is telegraphing that what he has for an OL is insufficient, and that his goal is to obtain a player(s) that leads to the improvement of the line.

Hopefully Reed and Chapdelaine are working together, so shuffling the deck or changing the dealer **might** be what Kavis was talking about. My suspicion is that he will take a run at Foucault and if that fails then look harder at National WRs to allow for an International LT.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 am

Well, we already dress a national receiver (Giguere), so really, it would be a matter of giving him a spot in the starting four:

Field WR - Giguere
Field SB - Lewis
Boundary SB - Green
Boundary WR - Cunningham

with hopefully a stable of prospects vying for that 5th DI spot and shuffling on and off the PR / 1-game IR.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:27 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:J'ose espérer que suite à cette signature, les Alouettes auront assez de flexibilité au point de vue cap salarial pour re-signer des joueurs tels Gabriel Knapton, Alan-Michael Cash et Winston Venable. Je commence à douter. Je ne serais pas surpris si d'abord Venable et ensuite Knapton ne sont pas de retour. J'espère me tromper.

Richard

Ce sont certainement des préoccupations que nous partageons. Knapton a un essai dans la NFL, et il y a eu des rumeurs au même effet au sujet de Venable. Nous savons que ces deux joueurs seront très convoités, et possiblement Cash aussi. Les Alouettes devront se créer une marge de manœuvre, ou réussir à trouver des joueurs moins expérimentés qui voudront faire leur place. Je pense entre autres à Jared Koster dont on a dit beaucoup de bien l'an dernier, et possiblement un ailier défensif.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by LeStaf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:SAM linebacker: This is the big issue for me in the next two years. Chip is clearly near the end of his career and we have no proven replacement for him on the roster. I don't think folks understand just how much responsibility Cox has in making this defense go, even in a so-called down year. SAM linebacker needs a player with high football IQ who can read and react correctly in a split second but who also has the athletic ability to play sideline to sideline, provide run support, drop into all zones of pass coverage, AND blitz the QB. It's also a position with no equivalent in American football, where down and field width mean that typical NFL linebackers are too heavy for the position. So you have to go looking for a suitable DB and then train that DB to play a significantly different kind of game up here. I am hoping that among our stable of great young DBs one player stands out enough to make the transition, just as Chip did in 2008. If I had to guess, I'd say that Davis is the most suitable: his coverage skills aren't quite at the same level as the others but he plays a physical, aggressive game and seems to have good football instincts.

Voilà une belle présentation d'une autre différence significative entre le football canadien et le football américain. Chapeau!

Je voyais une possibilité se dessiner. Bien qu'il ne soit pas aussi rapide que Cox l'était, Venable demeure un secondeur assez rapide. Je me demande si les Alouettes ne seraient pas tentés de remplacer Cox par Venable, même si ce dernier a encore au moins une bonne saison à donner. Ceci pourrait permettre de garder Venable et peut-être de faire une place pour Koster dans le rôle que Venable occupait la saison passée.

Relativement à Davis comme joueur pouvant possiblement faire la transition vers le poste de secondeur, il a la rapidité mais surtout le côté physique pour pouvoir faire cette transition. Il frappe fort et pourra faire des plaqués même en confrontation avec la ligne offensive adverse. Ce serait à lui par contre de démontrer qu'il a les bons instincts de football canadien pour pouvoir assumer cette charge, et c'est un intangible qui, je crois, ne pourra être mesuré cette année. Il lui faudrait, je pense, au moins une saison comme substitut pour apprendre la position.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:44 pm

LeStaf wrote: Je me demande si les Alouettes ne seraient pas tentés de remplacer Cox par Venable, même si ce dernier a encore au moins une bonne saison à donner. Ceci pourrait permettre de garder Venable et peut-être de faire une place pour Koster dans le rôle que Venable occupait la saison passée.

You know, I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The stumbling-block to your idea IMO is Venable's foot speed. Can he match up in coverage against another team's fourth or fifth receiver and also fulfill his other duties?

Relativement à Davis comme joueur pouvant possiblement faire la transition vers le poste de secondeur, il a la rapidité mais surtout le côté physique pour pouvoir faire cette transition. Il frappe fort et pourra faire des plaqués même en confrontation avec la ligne offensive adverse. Ce serait à lui par contre de démontrer qu'il a les bons instincts de football canadien pour pouvoir assumer cette charge, et c'est un intangible qui, je crois, ne pourra être mesuré cette année. Il lui faudrait, je pense, au moins une saison comme substitut pour apprendre la position.

Exactly.

SAM is such a weird position to fill. It demands so many different skills but you have to find a DB who is essentially the weakest link in your coverage group -- if he were stronger in coverage, you'd keep him at DB. That's how we found Chip. He spent two years as DHB and he just couldn't cover, but when he shifted to SAM linebacker in 2009, it was magic. Instead of facing opposing teams' top receivers snap after snap, he could drop into coverage occasionally against weaker receivers and be the ballhawking, form-tackling demon he's been ever since.
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Well, we already dress a national receiver (Giguere), so really, it would be a matter of giving him a spot in the starting four ...

AND have another National who can sub in part-time and/or step up in case of injury.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:54 pm

GHT120 wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Well, we already dress a national receiver (Giguere), so really, it would be a matter of giving him a spot in the starting four ...

AND have another National who can sub in part-time and/or step up in case of injury.

Graves and Charette, no?
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext