Team dodges first Reed bullet

Re: Team dodges first Reed bullet

by mike2579 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Josh Bourke anyone?

The classic sign with the Argos..and the rest is history
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm

mike2579 wrote:Josh Bourke anyone?

Josh was paid as one of the best LT in the league. He may not be that anymore. I personally would have no problem in having him back if he is HEALTHY. but his days of making elite money are likely over. I think as a mentor for Foucault, is he willing to play another year or two in Montreal for 80 to 90k ??? If he didn't sell his home it might be attractive to him.

Toronto was a hot mess last year and that's not on Josh.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm

HfxTC wrote:Toronto runs the same offense as Saskatchewan. I can't see Durant being interested.

bon point.

En même temps, compte tenu de leurs déboires offensifs cette saison, on peut penser qu'ils auront intérêt à changer leur philosophie.
Last edited by LeStaf on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Milanovich is a one trick pony. He left for Toronto with Trestman's binders but no playbook has spawn as many clones in this league so defenses see that offense or variants of it in 8 to 10 games they play so have built their defenses to meet the challenge, its become somewhat ineffective. Even in Ottawa Burris saved their hide last year.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:04 pm

HfxTC wrote:Josh was paid as one of the best LT in the league. He may not be that anymore. I personally would have no problem in having him back if he is HEALTHY. but his days of making elite money are likely over. I think as a mentor for Foucault, is he willing to play another year or two in Montreal for 80 to 90k ??? If he didn't sell his home it might be attractive to him.

Exactement. Bourke pourrait donner encore une ou deux bonnes saisons, et son expérience pourrait profiter aux jeunes, un peu comme celle de Chiu a profité à LBJ ou celle de Flory a profité à tant d'autres. Je me demande cependant qui va remplacer Kris Sweet.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:08 pm

LeStaf wrote:
HfxTC wrote:Josh was paid as one of the best LT in the league. He may not be that anymore. I personally would have no problem in having him back if he is HEALTHY. but his days of making elite money are likely over. I think as a mentor for Foucault, is he willing to play another year or two in Montreal for 80 to 90k ??? If he didn't sell his home it might be attractive to him.

Exactement. Bourke pourrait donner encore une ou deux bonnes saisons, et son expérience pourrait profiter aux jeunes, un peu comme celle de Chiu a profité à LBJ ou celle de Flory a profité à tant d'autres. Je me demande cependant qui va remplacer Kris Sweet.

The first thing that came to mind with Josh being cut in Toronto is that Sweet is likely heading there.
JC has worked with many great Offensive Line coach in BC so who knows. He reached out to an old acquaintance at the Rouge et Or and was turned down. They might want to convince Jourdain to hang up his cleats. I know he does not want to but considering his age and health, he should consider it. I wasn't happy when Popp banned Chiu with this organization and maybe we can get him back at some point now that Popp is gone but there is no way to pull him out of his situation in Ottawa right now.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

HfxTC wrote:
mike2579 wrote:Josh Bourke anyone?

Josh was paid as one of the best LT in the league. He may not be that anymore. I personally would have no problem in having him back if he is HEALTHY. but his days of making elite money are likely over. I think as a mentor for Foucault, is he willing to play another year or two in Montreal for 80 to 90k ??? If he didn't sell his home it might be attractive to him.

I took Mike to mean that Durant would be advised not to sign in Toronto, because of what happened to Bourke, not that he necessarily wanted Bourke back in Montreal. But I could be wrong.

I don't want Bourke back. He doesn't fix our long-term LT problem, he's old and coming off injuries, and he is no longer one of the top LTs in the league. I'd rather groom a younger player.

Edit: As for the O-line, I'm curious to know why Sweet was dismissed, beyond the struggles our O-line experienced this year. Was there something else at work? Does Chap want to switch to zone-blocking on the line?
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm not convinced Josh is finished at all but I've written on here many times that if there is a position where it is risky to change team when things are going well is an Offensive Linesman. No team will give him a 75k signing bonus and a 200k contract again and he may retire but i doubt that our OL would have suffered the way it did last season with Josh at LT.

Josh has had ONE bad season in his entire career...
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm

I don't think he's finished, but I don't want him back. We need long-term stability at that position. He's a better fit for a contending team loading up for a Grey Cup run IMO.
Hall of Famer

by okie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:26 pm

I know nothing about Josh Bourke's health in 2016, but he played badly in one game, got demoted, and then never dressed again the rest of the season. With his large contract, being release was inevitable. Frankly, I am a little surprised the Argos waited this long to make the move.

As far as any talk of Durant to the Argos goes, that is a non-starter. Argos have already invested too much in Drew Willy. Willy has to be the QB in Toronto. If Durant even considers a team that already has a designated starter and is only able to pay him backup money, then he might as well re-sign with the Riders who can offer him a way better deal.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 am

There are 3 possible landing spots for Durant
Saskatchewan
Montreal
Winnipeg

Right now it looks like both Nichols and Durant's agent are prepared to wait and see what the other gets from the teams currently holding their rights. Its in both of these guys advantage to wait at least into the first day or two of free agency.
There are 3 teams and 2 experienced starters available. One team will lose out.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:37 am

Of those three teams, we have the strongest group of quarterbacks already under contract. I think we're in a good position.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:Of those three teams, we have the strongest group of quarterbacks already under contract. I think we're in a good position.

Both Reed and JC stated goal, in fact Reed's main objective this off season is to add an experienced QB.
Obviously if he can't sign one, it would be a failure of his own objectives.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03 am

HfxTC wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Of those three teams, we have the strongest group of quarterbacks already under contract. I think we're in a good position.

Both Reed and JC stated goal, in fact Reed's main objective this off season is to add an experienced QB.
Obviously if he can't sign one, it would be a failure of his own objectives.

That's true. I just don't want us to give away the farm for a non-elite veteran QB.
Hall of Famer

by papazoola » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm

HfxTC wrote:There are 3 possible landing spots for Durant

Montreal
Winnipeg

Right now it looks like both Nichols and Durant's agent are prepared to wait and see what the other gets from the teams currently holding their rights.

....I'm eliminating Sask. ,if the rumour is true about Durant's comment to a reporter, that he'll never play for the riders again...If true he's done in riderland...

...I believe that Nichols and Durant have the same agent so he should be on top of all the negotiations...Makes it a little difficult for us...
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext