Eric Tillman
8%
Other
25%

Total votes : 24

Re: Who will be our new GM?

by GHT120 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:29 pm

:roll:
Bigshot wrote:Difficult to find as many comments and attitudes reflecting an order of double standards as in Montreal. It seems that the Canadian is enjoying a straight pass at the indecent limit when deciding in the internal and the weather as bad weather. It should be remembered that Réjean Houle, Serge Savard and Marc Bergevin had no DG experience before they came to this position. We turn to the Alouettes for similar appointments to the same post, whereas in the case of the Canadian the previous choices have not made so many tumults ... pathetic hockey town!
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:04 pm

He's correct. They don't call it "Sainte-Flanelle" for nothing. Everything Habs related is sacro-saint.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:34 pm

GHT120 wrote:
HfxTC wrote:Ray Lalonde who knows the Wetenhall very well. Says we are just starting to see the beginning of the meddling by Andrew... So we'll see.

Former (disgruntled?) employee predicts problems ................... shocking

Sorry, I watched the interview on the RDS site (please take a look) and all Lalonde said was that Andrew is taking a greater role in the team. No mention of meddling. Unless you`re referring to another Lalonde interview.
Last edited by idealsheldon on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Bigshot wrote:Difficult to find as many comments and attitudes reflecting an order of double standards as in Montreal. It seems that the Canadian is enjoying a straight pass at the indecent limit when deciding in the internal and the weather as bad weather. It should be remembered that Réjean Houle, Serge Savard and Marc Bergevin had no DG experience before they came to this position. We turn to the Alouettes for similar appointments to the same post, whereas in the case of the Canadian the previous choices have not made so many tumults ... pathetic hockey town!

Pierre Vercheval handled it best on RDS, he repeated that everyone has to start somewhere.

All-Star

by okie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 pm

The Waggle Episode 30 features an interview with Herb Zurkowsky.

Herb Zurkowsky: There's really no rhyme or reason to anything that this organization does anymore, and you mentioned Brock Sunderland. He actually had the longest interview of any of the candidates. And I was told that they were very high on him, and he interviewed very well. (And again I'm told that he was actually informed that this had been a Football Decision...Now this was last week). Had this been a Football Decision, that he would have got the job. Now I think when he was told that, they were thinking that Danny Maciocia was going to come onboard.

That's basically where this franchise is today. They have problems on the field, but they have equally as many hurdles to overcome off the field.

http://www.cfl.ca/thewaggle/
Last edited by okie on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:08 am

idealsheldon wrote:

Pierre Vercheval handled it best on RDS, he repeated that everyone has to start somewhere.

And in Joe Mack's case finish somewhere. :thup:
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 am

HfxTC wrote:
idealsheldon wrote:

And in Joe Mack's case finish somewhere. :thup:

Touché! :thup:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:35 am

As long as Kavis signs Bernard, he can hire whoever he wants :D
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 am

It seems there is an unwritten rule with the Montreal hockey club, that only a francophone can be GM or HC. Look at the MTL hockey club's history over the last 20-30 years.

The last non french coach was Bob Berry, and that was 32 years ago! The last non french GM was Bob Gainey. But, Gainey spoke french well, and he was part of the great 70s teams. So, he gets a pass from the overzealous nationalists. Before Gainey, you have to go back to Irving Grundman, 33 years ago...

That hockey team will even rehire a former francophone HC (Therrien) for a second pass at the job, once it has gone through the few pro level francophone coaches available. This hockey club hinders itself competitively, by narrowing the pool of candidates in this manner. No other NHL club has to limit themselves this way.

That MTL hockey club is a political entity that answers to, and takes dollars from a population of individuals, who choose to be ignorant. A francophone GM and HC, a few beers in the fridge, tout est beau osti!

Mind you, Johnny is not anglophone. This is not an anti francophone diatribe. But, Johnny hates these kinds of fools' games, and the fools who choose and accept to play them :cowboy:

All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:41 am

And that is why they haven't won a championship in 25 years. Pretty soon they will be passing a BIC lighter.
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:54 am

HfxTC wrote:And that is why they haven't won a championship in 25 years. Pretty soon they will be passing a BIC lighter.

Exactly! Everyone in Montreal says they want the cup, but they really want to win the cup a "certain way". They want to relive the glory years of the Flower, Lemaire, Tremblay in the 70s.

They conveniently forget that Steve Shutt completed the trio with Flower and Lemaire, Ken Dryden was the goaltender, the HC was Scottie Bowman, and the GM Sam Pollock.

Even in the storied 70s and the 4 straight cups, it was a collaboration of francophones and anglophones (there is a lesson in that...).

It was never an all french team in the good ole days. Revisionist thinking is dirty and dangerous.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10 am

okie wrote:The Waggle Episode 30 features an interview with Herb Zurkowsky.

Herb Zurkowsky: There's really no rhyme or reason to anything that this organization does anymore, and you mentioned Brock Sunderland. He actually had the longest interview of any of the candidates. And I was told that they were very high on him, and he interviewed very well. (And again I'm told that he was actually informed that this had been a Football Decision...Now this was last week). Had this been a Football Decision, that he would have got the job. Now I think when he was told that, they were thinking that Danny Maciocia was going to come onboard.

That's basically where this franchise is today. They have problems on the field, but they have equally as many hurdles to overcome off the field.

If Herb likes talking so much about "no rhyme or reason" or dysfunctional, he should do an interview on his employer:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e32454029/

And here in Montreal, I open up the Gazette`s sports section and there is no longer a stats page. I cannot get last night`s NHL scores, tomorrow`s NFL schedule, etc. :roll:

All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:49 am

I was a big Sunderland booster so I'm disappointed too. But I am not going to judge the team's decision out of hand before a single game has been played. Sunderland's interview may have lasted the longest, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the strongest. Maybe it lasted long because ownership had lots of questions (i.e. there were holes in his plan). How would Maciocia staying or going have affected the choice of GM candidate, when both the frontrunners are anglophones? Herb talking out his a$$ as usual.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by jkm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:

It seems there is an unwritten rule with the Montreal hockey club, that only a francophone can be GM or HC. Look at the MTL hockey club's history over the last 20-30 years.

The last non french coach was Bob Berry, and that was 32 years ago! The last non french GM was Bob Gainey. But, Gainey spoke french well, and he was part of the great 70s teams. So, he gets a pass from the overzealous nationalists. Before Gainey, you have to go back to Irving Grundman, 33 years ago...

That hockey team will even rehire a former francophone HC (Therrien) for a second pass at the job, once it has gone through the few pro level francophone coaches available. This hockey club hinders itself competitively, by narrowing the pool of candidates in this manner. No other NHL club has to limit themselves this way.

That MTL hockey club is a political entity that answers to, and takes dollars from a population of individuals, who choose to be ignorant. A francophone GM and HC, a few beers in the fridge, tout est beau osti!

Mind you, Johnny is not anglophone. This is not an anti francophone diatribe. But, Johnny hates these kinds of fools' games, and the fools who choose and accept to play them :cowboy:

Unfortunately, almost everything in this city and province is political and "small potatoes".

Not that there is anything wrong whatsoever with Francophones doing well in sports. However, in the competitive professional sports world, owners, coaches, players, and fans want to have a winning team! If that means having non-Francophones in those positions, so be it! Did anyone complain that none of the Expos were Francophones (Claude Raymond was at best a mediocre reliever at the end of his career)? No!

As long as that exists and the so-called sports writers in this city harp on the language issue, we can expect to have season after season of losing teams.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:43 pm

idealsheldon wrote:
okie wrote:The Waggle Episode 30 features an interview with Herb Zurkowsky.

If Herb likes talking so much about "no rhyme or reason" or dysfunctional, he should do an interview on his employer:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e32454029/

And here in Montreal, I open up the Gazette`s sports section and there is no longer a stats page. I cannot get last night`s NHL scores, tomorrow`s NFL schedule, etc. :roll:

I don't understand someone subscribing to a News Paper these days. Most of the content is from the farm or AP, CP and the rest advertising. In regards to Sunderland they probably were just picking his brain for as many ideas as they could. Andrew's presser sounded almost word for word what Maciocia said to the press on his promotional tour.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext