Popp is gone

Re: Popp is gone

by GHT120 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:45 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Bruno Heppell with a really nice tribute to Popp here: http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/hu ... -1.3655327

He doesn't deny that the last few years were rough but paints a very moving picture of what Popp was back in the day: young, dynamic, driven, and (he points this out explicitly) living IN Montreal with his whole family. Everyone's wives and kids used to hang out, completely different vibe, it was a family within the team. He says he hopes Popp is eventually inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame and I agree with him. His body of work over 20 years is Hall of Fame caliber.

Sounds exactly what the Als should be looking for this time around.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:10 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:Bruno Heppell with a really nice tribute to Popp here: http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/hu ... -1.3655327

He doesn't deny that the last few years were rough but paints a very moving picture of what Popp was back in the day: young, dynamic, driven, and (he points this out explicitly) living IN Montreal with his whole family. Everyone's wives and kids used to hang out, completely different vibe, it was a family within the team. He says he hopes Popp is eventually inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame and I agree with him. His body of work over 20 years is Hall of Fame caliber.

Yes, and sometime in the future, Popp needs to be honored at halftime by the team during an Als game.

He deserves a proper thank you from the fans, and a proper celebration of his accomplishments.
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by Niagara Als » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Johnny: Your post that there should be, perhaps at the mid way break, some recognized actions thanking Popp for the very positive way he has handled the position of GM of the Als over the years. This would be very appropriate as a follow up to his recent retirement from the Alouettes.
Johnny, I have been especially follow the many posts you place on the Alouette Forum. I believe you have an excellent knowledge of the CFL and, especially that of the Als. I have thought of an earlier post I made, on this Forum which was critical of your language and, I regret having made these comments. As DP has noted, you do represent, in a positive manner, the fan base of the team and, your ease with colorful comments do, at times, bring a needed jollity to this Forum. In addition, the back and forth duel you have with TiCat fans is fun to read. Keep em coming Johnny.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Niagara Als wrote:Johnny: Your post that there should be, perhaps at the mid way break, some recognized actions thanking Popp for the very positive way he has handled the position of GM of the Als over the years. This would be very appropriate as a follow up to his recent retirement from the Alouettes.
Johnny, I have been especially follow the many posts you place on the Alouette Forum. I believe you have an excellent knowledge of the CFL and, especially that of the Als. I have thought of an earlier post I made, on this Forum which was critical of your language and, I regret having made these comments. As DP has noted, you do represent, in a positive manner, the fan base of the team and, your ease with colorful comments do, at times, bring a needed jollity to this Forum. In addition, the back and forth duel you have with TiCat fans is fun to read. Keep em coming Johnny.

Well thank you very much much Niagara! It is very heart warming to receive such nice compliments.

Johnny calls them as he sees them. Sometimes in a crude and colorful manner, but sometimes a little color is required! :D

Life is too short to be politically correct. If a person is honest, sincere, and means well, a little crudeness is tolerable in Johnny's opinion. And fun to! :rockin:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Heppell is calling for exactly what I've been saying.

The GM position is one that requires insane work ethics, a little bit of crazzee, a little bit of gambling and a lot of sacrifice. At least if you want to get an edge on your competition.

The point about making you team's city your home is also well explained by Bruno. Sixty guys that show up for two hours of practice two or three times a week is not going to create much bonds, especially in a league where 25 percent of the roster changes every year and transients come in and out every week.

I wish Jim well but if he wants to pursue his career asa GM he should do it from home base. If it didn't matter teams would not carry their city's name with them. People don't buy tickets to the Mooresville Alouettes.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by RichardVeilleux » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:52 pm

You may have to settle with Maciocia, HfxTC, if residing in Montreal all year long is your priority.

Richard
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:45 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:You may have to settle with Maciocia, HfxTC, if residing in Montreal all year long is your priority.

Richard

Here we go with the clown shiat.... You were doing ok for a while.

Hervey does it
Desjardins does it
Buono does it
Huffnagel does it
Austin does it
Walters does it.

The End
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:26 am

And Popp did it too, for a long time, until W let him move to NC and that's right around when the rot started.

It is no way a huge stretch to ask the GM to commit to living year-round in Montreal.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 am

400k+ You would expect the candidate invests in his home town.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:54 pm

GM Ryan Grigson has just been fired by the Colts. When Grigson was hired in 2012, Colts owner Jim Irsay said that Jim Popp had been a strong candidate for the job. I wonder if he will be considered this time.

There was only 1 other NFL GM opening this year, with the 49ers. Nine candidates were interviewed, none named Popp.

And as NFL teams fill their coaching staffs, I have not seen Trestman`s name come up , certainly not for Head Coach, but neither for Offensive Co-ordinator.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 pm

idealsheldon wrote:GM Ryan Grigson has just been fired by the Colts. When Grigson was hired in 2012, Colts owner Jim Irsay said that Jim Popp had been a strong candidate for the job. I wonder if he will be considered this time.

There was only 1 other NFL GM opening this year, with the 49ers. Nine candidates were interviewed, none named Popp.

And as NFL teams fill their coaching staffs, I have not seen Trestman`s name come up , certainly not for Head Coach, but neither for Offensive Co-ordinator.

... Trestman, who coached the Alouettes for five seasons, including three Grey Cup appearances and successive championships, is in no rush to contemplate the next chapter of his life. He said he’s not even certain that would include another coaching challenge.

Whether it is that he will still get his OC salary from the Ravens through the 2017 season, or that he banked $10+ million from the Bears, or that at age 61 he has had enough of the coach carousel, or the NFL coaching carousel has had enough of him ..... it isn't surprising:

“I’m using this time for personal time, to quiet myself and focus on my family and kids. I’ve got time on my hands to do that,” Trestman told the Montreal Gazette in an exclusive telephone interview. “I know I’m not answering the question, but I have no answer. I haven’t given it any thought.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/former-alouettes-coach-marc-trestman-in-no-rush-to-return-to-sideline
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:22 pm

I wish him well but with six young children, his chances are about nil IMO.
Hall of Famer

by LeStaf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 am

Barker vient d'être congédié et Milanovitch conserve son poste. Trestman est libre.

Je crois qu'une opportunité s'ouvre pour Popp. Nous verrons s'il pourra en profiter.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am

LeStaf wrote:Barker vient d'être congédié et Milanovitch conserve son poste. Trestman est libre.

Je crois qu'une opportunité s'ouvre pour Popp. Nous verrons s'il pourra en profiter.

You guys remember I called this one... Joey Abrams is going along and possibly Calvillo as well.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 am

LeStaf wrote:Barker vient d'être congédié et Milanovitch conserve son poste. Trestman est libre.

Je crois qu'une opportunité s'ouvre pour Popp. Nous verrons s'il pourra profiter.

This was a done deal a while ago. Possibly as far back as summer and certainly at least as far back as Abrams walking. Good for Jim, still won't be successful unless he plants his flag in TO.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext