Carter and Stafford Released

Re: Carter and Stafford Released

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Well, I could be wrong, but jamie does not appear to be slant to me. He's far more pleasant and civil, even in disagreement! Jamie, you're welcome to post in this forum as far as I'm concerned.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by okie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:36 pm

HfxTC wrote:JC on the cuts.. Makes sense to me

http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/f ... 338066.mp3

Can you paraphrase what was said for those of us who do not understand French?

In my opinion, Duron Carter would only work on a team if he was not the highest paid & most talented player there. That team would also need respected leaders as HC and at Quarterback. In that situation, there would be no requirement that Carter perform well on every play.

I would put him primarily at slotback so he gets more looks making him less prone to complain about the playcalling. At WR, he lacks elite speed and does not get enough separation thus making passes to him often a low percentage play.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:58 pm

okie wrote:
HfxTC wrote:JC on the cuts.. Makes sense to me

http://www.985sports.ca/lecteur/audio/f ... 338066.mp3

Can you paraphrase what was said for those of us who do not understand French?

No t much more than we already know.

- Felt Carter would not be happy under current conditions and it would be best to turn the page. It had been building for awhile.

- Said it was his decision but with blessing of Popp and Wetenhalls.

- When asked about his relationship with Popp said they talk daily.

- Crompton won`t be cleared this season.

- Was moving to Adams, felt there was alot of pressure on Cato.

- Said CFL is a league of veteran QBs, would be best to have one but that will be reviewed in the off-season.

And Okie you come across as a diehard Als follower and bring alot of information to the table. May I ask where you`re located?
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by okie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks.

Looks like the Als are now seeing if Vernon Adams has any chance of being the starter in 2017. If he is completely overwhelmed, the team will go back to Rakeem Cato this year to see if he has calmed down and is capable of becoming a CFL starter. I guess those results will determine whether there is a need to acquire a QB that is currently on somebody else's roster.

I'm in the U.S. and watch the games streamed on ESPN. Never even been to Montreal before.
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Read Stafford's account. If nothing else, it paints the team in a very poor light: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... n-disguise
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Read Stafford's account. If nothing else, it paints the team in a very poor light: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... n-disguise

I'm not sure where your going with this D. Whenever a New HC is hired, there are players they want and players they don't want. When Matthews came on board he flipped half the roster. That;s how the business works. We are going to see 1/3 to half this roster get replaced between now and June 2017.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by disciplineandpunish » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm

HfxTC wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:Read Stafford's account. If nothing else, it paints the team in a very poor light: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... n-disguise

I'm not sure where your going with this D. Whenever a New HC is hired, there are players they want and players they don't want. When Matthews came on board he flipped half the roster. That;s how the business works. We are going to see 1/3 to half this roster get replaced between now and June 2017.

Matthews didn't come in during the middle of the season. He didn't release players days after the trade deadline in a clear bid to stop them from getting work elsewhere, after spending a season not communicating. He came in during the offseason and cleaned house in a ruthless but honest way. Every aspect of how this organization goes about its business is two-faced, sloppy, unprofessional, and treacherous. Certain players are scapegoated without warning and thrown under the bus to save the a$$es of management. Other players have free passes to screw up continuously. It's just bad business.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:11 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:
HfxTC wrote:

Matthews didn't come in during the middle of the season. He didn't release players days after the trade deadline in a clear bid to stop them from getting work elsewhere, after spending a season not communicating. He came in during the offseason and cleaned house in a ruthless but honest way. Every aspect of how this organization goes about its business is two-faced, sloppy, unprofessional, and treacherous. Certain players are scapegoated without warning and thrown under the bus to save the a$$es of management. Other players have free passes to screw up continuously. It's just bad business.

Its kind of funny You're as hot about this as I was with the Muamba and Martin release.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:24 pm

disciplineandpunish wrote:Everybody talks about Carter and his persistent bad attitude. But Jerome Messam, another guy who bounced around, is doing pretty well for himself right now.

Maybe what Carter needs, and what Messam finally got, is GOOD COACHING AND MENTORING.

Yes, I know Carter's body language wasn't great, and he has to take responsibility for that. But you know who else has to take responsibility? The coaches who failed him, Stafford, and the rest of the entire team. You have a problem with a player, he should know it before you release him. Otherwise you're just an a$$hole dad setting unrealistic, hidden expectations that your "kids" never know they're failing at...

D&P, Johnny gets what you're saying. But, it seems you are assuming that Carter and Stafford are telling the truth, and that Chappy isn't.

It's fine if that's the way you see it. But, Johnny thinks Stafford is full of shid.
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by GHT120 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:26 pm

He has an excellent point about the CFL rule and it is fair to question whether the Als intended to do this before the deadline but waited to keep them off the field. People who believe they did will not accept "officials denials", no matter how sincere, and if the Als did plan this nobody who was involved will say anything.

The rule looks weird but expect it is intended to avoid teams circumventing the concept of a trade deadline by releasing players simply so that they can sign with a team that has gotten "hot" or is otherwise a Grey Cup favourite.

As for the rest, I always take complaints/rebuttals from players who have been cut/traded with a large grain of salt; especially when the writer also has an agenda.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 pm

The players signed that union deal...The one Flory didn't want them to sign. The Als did not do anything unethical here. They were cut that's all there is to it and JC said he had been thinking about it and made his decision after the last game. Stafford should have been lined up for the convert instead of hanging out with fans in the stand and Carter should have hustled instead of acting like a bum and fought for some of those five balls thrown at him.

I'm not buying the conspiracy. JC is up to his arz in alligators, last thing he's thinking about is how to make himself look like a prik.
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 pm

HfxTC wrote:The players signed that union deal...The one Flory didn't want them to sign. The Als did not do anything unethical here. They were cut that's all there is to it and JC said he had been thinking about it and made his decision after the last game. Stafford should have been lined up for the convert instead of hanging out with fans in the stand and Carter should have hustled instead of acting like a bum and fought for some of those five balls thrown at him.

I'm not buying the conspiracy. JC is up to his arz in alligators, last thing he's thinking about is how to make himself look like a prik.

I tend to agree that no conspiracy was involved. Carter has always had HUGE talent but not commensurate maturity; and Stafford just didn't provide what was hoped.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:03 am

HfxTC wrote:The players signed that union deal...The one Flory didn't want them to sign. The Als did not do anything unethical here. They were cut that's all there is to it and JC said he had been thinking about it and made his decision after the last game. Stafford should have been lined up for the convert instead of hanging out with fans in the stand and Carter should have hustled instead of acting like a bum and fought for some of those five balls thrown at him.

Post of the week! Well done! :thup:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:12 pm

It's not a conspiracy. You guys have become too accustomed to taking coaches at their word and disbelieving players. Coaches, like players, will stretch the truth and outright lie if it suits their purposes / saves their jobs. The evidence is piling up -- from Muamba to Martin to White to Ellis to Carter to Stafford, it's becoming clear that this organization has no interest in clear, honest, and open communication with all players, that its GM and coaches will scapegoat a player at a moment's notice to save their own hides, and that accountability org-wide is nonexistent. One instance would be nothing, two might be worth a raised eyebrow. At this point, there are just too many players getting hosed to dismiss the team dysfunction.

Be clear: I don't like Stafford, and from a performance standpoint, he deserved to be released. But reading his comments after the fact, he has a very good point about how he was treated. A good coach gives players an opportunity to improve through direct and honest feedback early in the process. He doesn't wait until end of season to scapegoat a guy and cut him loose. You read Chap's defense of the player releases and it's bollocks, all of it. It basically amounts to: "I didn't like their body language and Stafford messed up on that one two-point convert but I'll forget the billion other times other players messed up on similar plays because I have to find some reason to release Stafford right now." He cut his top receiver because of body language and another receiver for one missed play! That's horsecrap.

Here's another thing: has it escaped everyone's notice but mine that Carter's play was markedly better in the first third of the season, when Stafford was injured and not around? Don't you think we could have sent a message to Carter by releasing Stafford only? To me, it looks like the two ended up being poor for each other in a team context, and not on purpose or maliciously. Sometimes if you've got a buddy or family member in a bad situation, you retreat into that shell and detach from the team. If Stafford hadn't been around, Carter might have been able to focus more on his job.

And for all the trash talk around the two of them -- all the character assassination that isn't warranted, particularly in Stafford's case, because he had done nothing questionable off the field -- I'll remind everyone that the person who threatened the players with a lifetime of dealing drugs on the streets -- basically the most unprofessional, inappropriate comment I've ever heard come out of the mouth of a coach -- is still employed, still the GM of this team. But yeah, sure, let's pile on Carter and Stafford. Clearly THEY were the cancers on the team, not the guy getting paid six figures to run the team into the ground from Mooresville. :roll:
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

gary lawless ‏@garylawless 4h4 hours ago

No @cfl #cfl news breaking this week but @DC_CHILLIN_8 Duron Carter has narrowed his focus to @calstampeders @EdmontonEsks @sskroughriders
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

PreviousNext