2017 Discussion

Re: 2017 Discussion

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:02 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:If indeed the Als have signed Nat. WR Devon Bailey, it is the reason why Kyle Graves is gone. There is to be a limit-75 by next Sunday- on the total of players on off-season roster. Since the Als are now close to that limit and a least 3 rookie DL will be signed, once you add a player you have to delete another one. Grave's release had nothing to do/ no impact on cap. S.J. Green had a major impact.- Net reduction of a least $120,000.- Yes, I was surprised since he was signed to a two-year agreement on February 14,2017, but it is not a big loss nor will the signing of Bailey a major gain. He will be receiver number 6 or 7.

Richard

Well it has an impact in roster construction. Graves dressed as holder, backup Punter. So you could dress him as a backup receiver. Bailey can't do ANYTHING on Special teams. So dressing Bailey as one of your 21 Canadians if he's strictly a backup that will only see the field if Giguere gets hurt (He's pretty durable) is very poor roster management. We had 3 years invested in Graves who is as durable as they com.

Only reason you would sign Bailey is to play two Canadians at receiver or planning to replace Giguere.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 am

well...it's clear that Reed and JC have decided that this non playoff team needed a makeover and wanted a change from the culture of the past. And we'll see if that is successful.

Just to clarify one post about Bailey. It was suggested he has a "familiarity" with Reed. I believe he was drafted in Edmonton after Reed was fired.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 am

I can't see any prior connection with Bailey who grew up in TO and went to School at X then drafted by Edmonton the year after Kavis was fired. They may have run into each other in Edmonton since Kavis lives there but that is a stretch.

I am not opposed at signing Bailey as a prospect or a backup but not if it means cutting your nose off.

Anyway like you said this team has been trending downwards for five years straight....
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Richard, right now the Habs need you more than the Als! How much/how long a contract do you offer Radulov? Do you try to trade Price now and get some value rather than wait till his contract expires at the end of next season and he tries to break the bank?

At least the Habs elimination might give the Als more media coverage.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Not nice to say, but I am not an Habs fan/never was.. Unless there are major trades/signings during the off-season, I don't see them doing much better in the years to come. This being said, I don't care.

In my early days-long,long long time ago- I was a Detroit fan and Nordiques and Colorado. Still Detroit, but mainly Boston.

Richard
All-Star

by tony » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:38 pm

idealsheldon wrote:Richard, right now the Habs need you more than the Als! How much/how long a contract do you offer Radulov? Do you try to trade Price now and get some value rather than wait till his contract expires at the end of next season and he tries to break the bank?

At least the Habs elimination might give the Als more media coverage.

Not for the next week or two. All the coverage will be on how they bowed out in the first round. Pax this, Pax that.

Do not want to turn this into a Habs forum, but Molson should take a serious look at his GM before any player decision is made.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:45 pm

tony wrote:
Do not want to turn this into a Habs forum, but Molson should take a serious look at his GM before any player decision is made.

Hey, we might lose Kavis to the Habs. :D Found the Als their biggest need, a QB, in 2 months. Meanwhile Bergevin can`t find a front line centre after 5 years!

All-Star

by okie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Devon Bailey's signing would seem to be reactionary to what transpired at Vero Beach. If the Als wanted him, then why not just sign him a week earlier and have him show up at mini-camp and get some reps? As the starting lineman were not at Vero Beach, the only other potential non-import starters that partipated were at receiver and linebacker. Perhaps based on what they saw last week, the Als do not have 100% confidence in either Samuel Giguère or Chris Ackie.

Article on Cory Tucker:

Tucker just finished his first mini camp with Montreal last week and said that he thinks it was pretty successful. He has no intention of wasting time and plans to earn a starting job.

“That’s always the main goal,” Tucker said. “The practice squad is not something I’m looking for.”

If Tucker wants another shot at the NFL, he will need all the time on the field he can get.

http://www.theonlinerocket.com/sports/2 ... nd-chance/
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 pm

I think its more centric to Hervey being fired in Edmonton.
Hall of Famer

by RichardVeilleux » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 pm

As I wrote before, I definitely don't expect Devon Bailey to be a starting WR but rather WR number 6 or 7. His signing has nothing to do with Samuel Giguère but rather what they know of/have seen of Nat. WR's: Alex Charette,Seydou Junior Haidara and Alex Perzchaski and what they knew of Kyle Graves. -I don't care if Graves was the holder or could punt; easy to replace-

I don't know what Nat. LB Chris Ackie has to do with the signing of Bailey; yes he may start or Frederic Plesius or Nicolas boulay or they may start 3 Int. LB's,since they have/will have the flexibility to do so.

Richard
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:As I wrote before, I definitely don't expect Devon Bailey to be a starting WR but rather WR number 6 or 7. His signing has nothing to do with Samuel Giguère but rather what they know of/have seen of Nat. WR's: Alex Charette,Seydou Junior Haidara and Alex Perzchaski and what they knew of Kyle Graves. -I don't care if Graves was the holder or could punt; easy to replace-

I don't know what Nat. LB Chris Ackie has to do with the signing of Bailey; yes he may start or Frederic Plesius or Nicolas boulay or they may start 3 Int. LB's,since they have/will have the flexibility to do so.

Richard

Well Giguere was the only Canadian capable of starting and since he's one of the seven Canadians that will start, you absolutely need a backup for him, otherwise you have to mess with your ratio.
Hall of Famer

by idealsheldon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:49 am

The Als held a combine on Friday for Quebec Junior Football All Stars, a new initiative I believe.

http://qjfl.ca/qjfl-stars-attend-alouettes-combine/

Junior football in the 60s and 70s was a pipeline to the Als for some players, but has since been supplanted by the strength of CEGEP football in the province.

All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm

The number of Nat. WR's dressed in 2017 will definitely depend on the number of Int. WR's dressed; if only 3 Int. dress then 4 Nat. will dress and if 4 Int. dress then only 3 Nat. will dress.

In 2016, Giguère and Graves dressed for 18 games, whereas Charette dressed for 9 as did Haidara, although not during the same games; on average, only 3 Nat. WR's dressed for the 18 games; at the beginning of the season, only 2 Nat. dressed,since 5 Int. did.

During 2016, 5 Int. WR's dressed for 3 games, 4 dressed for 13 games and 3 dressed for 2 games. Despite that many Int. WR's dressed in 2016, the Als were last in yards gained-average of 253.5 per game- in 2016; yes, I know that the QB's have to share the blame, but, in 2017, I expect much better results, even if only 3 Int. were to dress for most games.

Richard
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Interview with Jacoobi and his friend Kavis.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Good interview.
Kinda makes one proud to be Canadian.
All-Star

PreviousNext