SJ Green Traded to Toronto

Re: SJ Green Traded to Toronto

by idealsheldon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm

The remaining 3 rookie receivers - Anthrop, Graham, and Palmer are all 4.4 guys, which is sorely needed to complement our other receivers who are mainly possession receivers.

That is why I don`t think Green will be missed as much as Carter (the athlete).
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by mike2579 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

This certainly will not sit well with fans. Us we see it as a salary dump etc we study the game we know the players etc...but the dude that bought sj greens jersey because he made a nice catch does not accept this. This won't help ticket sales fo sho!
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!
All-Star

by HfxTC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:20 pm

mike2579 wrote:This certainly will not sit well with fans. Us we see it as a salary dump etc we study the game we know the players etc...but the dude that bought sj greens jersey because he made a nice catch does not accept this. This won't help ticket sales fo sho!

They will need to win and put an exciting product on the field or the stands will be half empty....
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by tony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Green and Reed could not come to an agreement on a restructured contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/argos-acquire-star-wr ... s-1.729624

Also mentions that Popp has signed Perrett.
All-Star

by tony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:53 pm

mike2579 wrote:This certainly will not sit well with fans. Us we see it as a salary dump etc we study the game we know the players etc...but the dude that bought sj greens jersey because he made a nice catch does not accept this. This won't help ticket sales fo sho!

Or the dude who simply liked what he brought on the field :wink:
All-Star

by schmenger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm

SJ to the Arblows for a bag of hammers.
Starter

by jkm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

HfxTC wrote:
mike2579 wrote:This certainly will not sit well with fans.

They will need to win and put an exciting product on the field or the stands will be half empty....

That is precisely what I fear. Oh well, the Fighting Irish are also in a great rebuild as well. Those are kids, so I don't get so mad when they lose. The Als? Who knows?
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm

KAAAAAAAAAVIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!!!!!! :cowboy:

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by okie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm

From Didier Orméjuste:

The severity of Green's knee injury, his age, his salary and the Als responsibility towards the salary cap are all factors in the trade. The Alouettes acquired Durant, Jackson, Westerman, Shologan Simmons and Olafioye. They have to make some tough choices because of the $cap. TJ Graham and Tobias Palmer are two receivers who did well during the mini camp. The Alouettes appear to be high on both players.
All-Star

by Bigshot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Si on regarde l'alignement de toronto avec les GREEN, ALAN-M. CASH, WHITAKER, VENABLE et PERRETT en plus de JIM POPP et TRESTMAN on peut les appelés les ALOUETTES de TORONTO maintenant. LOL :rockin:
Rookie

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 pm

HfxTC wrote:
jkm wrote:I don't have a good feeling how things are being done this off-season. To be sure, every player has a "best by" date.

Not sure that is the case with SJ. At the very least, I would have liked to see equal or similar value for this trade.

This is not a trade. This is a dump and to a division rival for nothing in return. I have mixed feelings, seeing Andrew Wetenhall on the field at mini-camp biatching about ticket sales. was a double neener neener.

Anyway nothing we can do now but wait and see. If we have a genius running this team or a poser.

Well so far, the "genius" has been bamboozled twice by Eric Tillman, and once by Jim Popp. Not good... :thdn:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by Niagara Als » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 am

This is the second time in this football fans career when a star receiver was traded. The trade of the great Hal Patterson to the Tiger Cats in the sixties shook the Als fandom. Patterson was an elite receiver,like SJ, both all stars. Patterson was an idol to the fans back then and was given the name of Mr Wonderful. SJ was a receiver deluxe and both were all stars. I had been thinking that SJ commanded a huge salary $200 000 and he and the GM might not agree on another salary base= the trade. I had been thinking that SJ's salary at $200 000 was huge and,the team management might want a salary reduction- this has already happened with others.I believe the Als management put sound thought into this matter and, all likely agreed not to continue with SJ at his existing salary. The trade was not really a trade, SJ was a gift to the Argos who gave back a sixth pick in the upcoming draft.
It should be noted that the Alouettes gave SJ a bonus of $50 000 this Spring, Unlike other teams who dropped player bonus's before they cut their player staff, the Alouettes waited until after SJ received his $50 000 bonus before trading him. I do believe this was a well thought out decision by the management. Factors were age, injury, time needed for SJ's healing ( he will not likely start with the Argos until later in season), their analysis of the team budget, the play of rookies at the mini-camp etc . To management credit, sound thought went into this decision.Unlike other players SJ did receive his huge bonus first then, the team and SJ went their separate ways. The Alouettes were fair with this great player. SJ was"happy" with the reality of all this and, is looking forward to be working again with Trestman. He was a great receiver and, I wish him well.
All-Star

by okie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 am

From Herb Zurkowsky:

While (S.J.) Green’s rehabilitation has progressed nicely and his recovery’s on schedule — he has vowed to be ready for the start of training camp on May 28 — there’s much uncertainty as he moves forward, which is understandable.

He’s also scheduled to earn $250,000 this season and, once he passed his physical, would have been asked to restructure his contract. Indeed, Green admitted he was approached by Reed this month at mini-camp to take a pay cut, but the two couldn’t reach an agreement.

Once that scenario played out, a trade became the next most plausible option. The organization was transparent with Green throughout the process, so he wasn’t caught by surprise. If he were healthy, the return from Toronto would have been greater.

“I’ll be honest, I’m excited. I feel rejuvenated already and I wasn’t caught off-guard,” Green told the Montreal Gazette from his winter home in Tampa. “Kavis and I sat down last week. He gave me the lay of the land. He was courteous enough to allow me to have some input on my decision. We came to the conclusion the best decision was for me to be traded. He was kind enough to trade me … to a place I know I’ll feel comfortable.”

Green wouldn’t comment on whether the Argos will now or eventually restructure his contract, other than to admit he and Popp have spoken and he feels comfortable moving forward.

“It’s the business. Kavis has to run his business how he sees fit,” Green said. “Ultimately, I have to run the S.J. Green enterprise.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... raft-picks
All-Star

by jamie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 am

Classy move by the Als ultimately. If he wasn't going to be happy restructuring his contract you only have so many options. You just can't tie up $250, 000 on him.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 am

okie wrote:From Didier Orméjuste:

The severity of Green's knee injury, his age, his salary and the Als responsibility towards the salary cap are all factors in the trade. The Alouettes acquired Durant, Jackson, Westerman, Shologan Simmons and Olafioye. They have to make some tough choices because of the $cap. TJ Graham and Tobias Palmer are two receivers who did well during the mini camp. The Alouettes appear to be high on both players.

And the mascot and the kitchen sink.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext