A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

Discussion of technique and strategy.

A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

by Weirdo87 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:53 pm

i play high school football and this play was used against us last year, and though it was to no avail, it is still worthy of note:

we were winning with seconds left in the game and they were deep in their own end, needing a major for the W. they did a swing pass and the reciever purposefully dropped it. what was supposed to happen was the defense would leave the field, thinking the game was over, while the reciever waltzed into the endzone because the "pass" was technically a lateral. fortunately for us tho, our defense picked up on this quickly, tackling the reciever for a loss, and we won

has anyone ever seen this play, or any like it, ACTUALLY work?
Starter

RE: A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

by Argos_fever » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:08 am

whistle wouldn't go

any half decent football player(even in high school) knows to play to the whistle
Starter

RE: A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

by Weirdo87 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:08 pm

thats y i said the play suc ks, but it (or one like it)COULD work 1 in 1 000 000 times... anyone ever seen a play like this ACTUALLY work?
Starter

Re: RE: A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

by NovaScotian » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:31 pm

Argos_fever wrote:whistle wouldn't go

any half decent football player(even in high school) knows to play to the whistle

sometimes it happens man, last year i hit a field goal from around 30 (was clearly in by about 2 feet to the right) so everyone starts high5ing, and guys on the other team were like "hey nice kick man" and some of the guys started walking off the field, but the ref hesitated to blow the whistle, and one of the refs along the side waves WIDE RIGHT! so the returner who caught it almost walking off the field, scrambles to get outside the endzone and there people like in pannick, no idea whats going on, people getting trampled really hahah, and then eventually the returner gets taken down in their 5, and both coaches, and team dont know what happened lol, i was almost off the field by the time one of the refs finally ruled it wide, it was kinda funny accually.
Veteran

RE: Re: RE: A desperate play that I can barely imagine worki

by Sportsmen » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Didn't the Stampeders use that play early in the season? A Skip pass backwards to Copeland who through a "Bomb"?
Hall of Famer

by jonnyrockin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:11 pm

a play i remember well from when i played high school was the dumb ball on clap.
simple Y formation lineup, the QB starts calling the cadence and the slot calls out his number. the QB walks over, the tail back slaps his leg and while the D is standing around looking at what the QB is doing it's a direct snap. the Tail back takes off and it's an easy 6 points. not saying that would ever work in the pros but it was cool to be a part of that play
Rookie

by dss-qb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 pm

haha...in my first year of junior we ran 'fumblerooski' which some of you may be familiar with, for those not.

the qb [me] would go under centre, but not actually put my hands into position...just fake it...i'd call out the count...and right at the snap..i would dart back to probably around 7 steps and start bouncing like i was looking for the home run ball..while my right guard pulls behind the centre, whos still holding the ball at his butt, grabs the ball and takes off offtackle/outside left.

we used it about the 3 times. but the most memorable was playing against an all-star DE who nearly drilled me...stopped, realizing i didnt have the ball while my guard was 20 yards downfield, and says 'aww ****'. we both laughed
Rookie

by Arius » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:23 am

John Gregory used to call the "bounce" pass, usually to Don Narcisse.
Then he had the option to run or pass.
Worked a few times.

Another play that is based off the lateral, and looks pretty when it works, is to swing a receiver wide, toss him the lateral and then the QB scampers down the opposite sideline, as often as not, wide open...alley-oop...

I know Hamilton killed us with that play and their 3rd string QB a few years ago. But the Riders may have used it once last year themselves.
All-Star

by jordan02 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:46 pm

i cant remember where i saw it but

i was watching tv and i saw this fake play in a highschool football game

it was very rainy so just before the snap the coach of the team that was on offence yelled something holding up a ball

so then all u saw was the qb walking over their and then he ran into the endzone and it counted and because the refs never blew the whistle

so i am guessing the coach told the qb to come get a dry ball....and he went over their and once he got to the sidelines he sprinted downfield
All-Star

Re: A desperate play that I can barely imagine working

by CatsFaninOttawa » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 am

jonnyrockin wrote:a play i remember well from when i played high school was the dumb ball on clap.
simple Y formation lineup, the QB starts calling the cadence and the slot calls out his number. the QB walks over, the tail back slaps his leg and while the D is standing around looking at what the QB is doing it's a direct snap. the Tail back takes off and it's an easy 6 points. not saying that would ever work in the pros but it was cool to be a part of that play

This type of misdirection play does work on occasion, even in the pros. A few years ago, Prefontaine went to kick a field goal, discovered he had forgotten his tee, runs over to the bench screaming for someone to throw it to him. The defence is watching this, probably shaking their heads in amusement. Suddenly the ball is snapped to the holder (the backup quarterback, of course), and Prefontaine heads downfield, and catches a pass for the first down.

Of course, it will only ever work once. Just ask the kid who tried the "Wrong ball, coach" play the second time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbAP-K28J8
All-Star