Tips

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Tips

by RidersRule1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 pm

I am a about 5'8" 150lbs grade 10 kid. I've wanted to be a RB for years and I think i could do pretty well. I've been liftin weights for a couple years off and on but this summer(since the middle of June till well i don't know when, as long as i can(my gym membership ends in the middle of sept)i've been liftin everyday for about 2 hours a day except for sundays)

I've done good in practice, scorin a few long TDs and short ones that i have to break tackles on(i think about umm 5 in total last year)but on my team u usually don't get to play till grade 11

I'm pretty strong, but i have a 5.34 40time I've been tryin to get faster so i've been runnin 40s and i want to start doin plyometrics.

I just want to know if anyone has any tips for me about anything.
Practice Squad

RE: Tips

by Earl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:37 am

Become a defensive back RidersRule. Way back in high school I had practically the same numbers as you with height, weight and speed and we had running backs, about 3, who were bigger than me and faster so I couldn't compete to start, and that is what I wanted to do, start. So I volunteered, if you will, for defensive back and just got into hitting guys hard and made an impression and became a starter in no time and eventually became a co-captain of the team in grade 13. Do you like to hit guys? It was an experience tackling bigger guys than myself, quickly learned you have to go low when you are small but if you do, you can take out 200 pounders routinely and without pain. Once I went high on a guy that was about 185 with speed to burn and nearly killed my back with a pinched nerve. Coach told me I have to go low or I won't last.
Anywhere is the centre of the world - Black Elk
Hall of Famer

by Steveemac » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 am

At 150 in 10th grade, you're a decent size-I don't know how the backfield positions are set up in Canadian football vs American, but "Coach Mac's" advice would be to go for fullback. You wont get the ball as much-your primary job is to open the hole for the tailback-but you get to get a running start and pancake some poor schmuck...good times...
I am honored to be my kids dad!
Starter

by eyebleedgreen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:18 am

Skipping, water training, water resistance training, and resistance running are always a good bunch of excersizes to include in your 'routine'... Ball excersizes ( medicine and theraball ).. are good as well...

Weights are 'ok' but water training is FAR superior!...

Contact me for any clearification of excersizes...
Veteran

by RidersRule1 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 am

hey man thanks for the tips, i sent you a private message to ask for clarification on those excersices but was not sure if u checked that so i thot that i would put this in here also to tell u to check it, thanks
Practice Squad

by Peter6625 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:24 am

Ridersrule1. You gotta keep sprinting. I mean i trained and went through the college football combine. I put i pretty good numbers, but i trained for it. 5'11, 240 lbs, bench press 185lbs 27 times, 40 5.12. I forget my shuttle run time. By all means I'am not a speed demon, but i did cut a few seconds off my working on my take off.

Squats and power cleans are the best bet for football. Honestly if i has your numbers i would try for safety. Your are still young here this is when you will see big increases in your athletic ability. You really don't develop til the end of your high school career.

Even more important than the gym, learn the game, and learn your position. When i was in high school i didn't realize how important films are. Instincts are key. I still play semi-pro football. I sort of let myself go gym wise, still i go a couple times a week. I'am not as athletic as i use to be(2 blown out knees) but I believe that I'am a better player because of experience and instincts.

Another thing is don't be intimidated. If you even get a little nervous about your opponent you already lost. I'am 5'11 260lbs offensive guard/d lineman. I gone against guys who played CFL and NFL, those are usually games that I would rather forget. Guys that were stronger, faster, and overall better than me, but don't let that get the best of you. You still have to have confidence in yourself and use your technique that you learned. Nothing is better than after the game the guy comes up to you and compliments you on how you play, especially when they played in the pros

I' am just giving you some tips that i learned over my 12 year playing career. These are some thing i learned right away and somethings that i strongly believe in. Good Luck keep us informed.
Veteran

by dss-qb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Peter6625 wrote:Ridersrule1. You gotta keep sprinting. I mean i trained and went through the college football combine. I put i pretty good numbers, but i trained for it. 5'11, 240 lbs, bench press 185lbs 27 times, 40 5.12. I forget my shuttle run time. By all means I'am not a speed demon, but i did cut a few seconds off my working on my take off.

Squats and power cleans are the best bet for football. Honestly if i has your numbers i would try for safety. Your are still young here this is when you will see big increases in your athletic ability. You really don't develop til the end of your high school career.

Even more important than the gym, learn the game, and learn your position. When i was in high school i didn't realize how important films are. Instincts are key. I still play semi-pro football. I sort of let myself go gym wise, still i go a couple times a week. I'am not as athletic as i use to be(2 blown out knees) but I believe that I'am a better player because of experience and instincts.

Another thing is don't be intimidated. If you even get a little nervous about your opponent you already lost. I'am 5'11 260lbs offensive guard/d lineman. I gone against guys who played CFL and NFL, those are usually games that I would rather forget. Guys that were stronger, faster, and overall better than me, but don't let that get the best of you. You still have to have confidence in yourself and use your technique that you learned. Nothing is better than after the game the guy comes up to you and compliments you on how you play, especially when they played in the pros

I' am just giving you some tips that i learned over my 12 year playing career. These are some thing i learned right away and somethings that i strongly believe in. Good Luck keep us informed.

thats probably some of the best advice on here.

weight lifting is one of the best things outside of football you can do to help; but until i read a couple of reliable studies or reports, i do not believe in water training except for swimming as cardio.

i am also a fitness student, so one of the things thats super important is core strength, abs and your stabilizer muscles are so important because strong ones give you great balance. to work your stabilizers is as easy as doing bicep curls while sitting on an exercise ball..the possibilities with exercise balls are endless.

another big thing is agility, doing the foot ladders..is huge, builds up your legs to be able to do the quick side to side and front to back movements that can help evading tacklers, or quickly lining up a linebacker.

plyometrics [already mentioned] are great to build explosive power.

strength is also important to speed, but to build speed, try to do exercises that mimic the motion of running somehow...and do them unilaterally [1 leg at a time in thise case]

why? you ask..

well, if you think about it, when your running, only 1 leg at a time is touching the ground; plus when you do things bilaterally [both] your dominant limb bears most of the weight...so doing unilateral exercises may stimulate the muscles better

just my 2 cents..hope its helpful 8)
Rookie

by RidersRule1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:40 pm

hey guys, thanks a lot for all of the advice, i sure appreciate it.

PETER6625 told me to keep u guys informed so here you go, this is how my second(grade 10) season went

i worked out hard all summer, lifting, sprinting, doing plyometrics, and i believe it definetly paid off, i haven't checked for a long time but my 40 time is at 5.2(still has to get better) i now am 5'9" and 165 lbs

in grade 9 i wasn't even on the depth chart at tailback, i go in my grade 10 year first day of practice, the starting tailback cannot make it and a few other guys that were RBs too, so i get an opportunity to play, i run hard every chance that i get and my coach tells me that i am totally impressing him(man was i proud) then i had a ankle injury, that sucked so much, i still wanted to play tho(i didn't want anybody to go in and show me up haha) but the coach says ur too valueable(i didn't see that coming, but thats awesome!) so i sit out, but then another guy gets hurt and they need someone to play and i jump up and the coach says sit down, and the other coach says no one else knows wut they're doin, so they put me in, just for one play, its a quick screen to the WR and i play the slot, blockin his man to spring him, i lay out 2 guys on that play man, it was wicked, i was pumped.

the starter was too good for me to beat out for the job but i ended up being the backup to him, a big jump from being not even on the depth chart(prolly the 6th or 7th option at RB) so my hard work really paid off in my mind, i don't know if i have the job for next year, but i'm gonna keep workin hard so that i'm good enough that they have no choice but to pick me as the #1 guy.

so thanks a lot for all of your tips guys, i really appreciate them.

PS: could someone plz tell me what water training is, i have an idea but i'd like some clarificatoin, and also power cleans, thanks!
Practice Squad

by dss-qb » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:53 pm

thats awesome. good work.

i went from not starting in junior, to a team captain the next season. i was one of the 3 grade 10s to try out for senior [senior is 10-12] and i played a bit in senior. and now i train with mcmaster university's adam archibald, if anyone knows him. and i'm starting for my city rep team.

working out is huge, and it definitely helped get me where i was.

dont forget the playbook portion man..i'm sure you know, maybe i'm overemphasizing cause i'm a qb, but knowing the plays, audibles and the adjustments is huge. if you want to take your game to the next level...learn the playbook as if you were a quarterback.
Rookie

by billyjimbo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:43 am

First, let's talk strength: There's two kinds, kinetic and isometric. Kinetic is in motion like being able to drag a tackler along with you as you run. This is called POWER. This is what you want. Isometric strength is still strength like holding a bucket of water out front of you for ten minutes. You don't want this.
I would recomend that you pick up a book called the New High Intensity Training by Dr. Ellington Darden. He is the most recognized college and pro football strength trainer in the world.
Now, stop working out with weights for such long periods of time. You're not getting ahead. Think about this: Who has bigger muscles, a 100 meter sprinter or a marathlon runner? The reason is INTENSITY! Your goal is to move as much weight in the SHORTEST time possible. The big myth of 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps only burns out your blood sugar and makes it harder to recover. Pick the big bodypart exercises (as mentioned above): Bench press, Flys, Bent over rows or deadlifts, shoulder rows, lateral raises, barbell curls, french presses, squats, and calf raises. Do 1 set (trust me) 6-12 reps. Take at the most 30 seconds between exercises.
Talk to your parents or your doctor about creatine to help your growth and recovery.
Now SPEED. Remember blinding speed doesn't help when someone's holding you. If you have great moves then speed is your friend, but it's better to find a zone between speed and power.
Run with a tire or weight dragging behind your stride. Really burst off the line and only go 20 yds.
Take 20 seconds and blast again.
For technique, take a look at Backyard Drills DVD by Bill Parcells. I've seen it and I think every player should get a copy; or at least every coach!
Your position doesn't matter. Let your coach place you. Who knows, you could end up playing more than one position. I played D-end, Noseguard, Center, Linebacker and Tight end, many times in the same game.
Most of all, play hard and have fun. Don't give an inch!
Last edited by billyjimbo on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran

by 3esks3 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:25 am

i think i saw some interview with jim brown and he said that for runningbacks quickness is a necessity and speed is a luxury
so the ladder is your friend
Practice Squad

by billyjimbo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:31 am

Jim Brown understood what made him great, but don't forget his tenacity and desire above all.
Veteran

by billyjimbo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:01 am

There's the now legendary story that Walter Payton had a hill on his property that he would run with a weighted pack. He claimed that going up gave him power and going down helped lengthen his stride. Makes sense to me; he was one of the absolute best.
Veteran

by dss-qb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:48 pm

well reading all of this, i cant say any of it is wrong really. one of the biggest things you should know about weights and training in general is theres no 'best method', your best method is what you believe in.

training is all about beliefs and backing them up

and most of the people that posted here have true stories or research that back up their programs

and creatine is a good option, make sure its bought from a RECOGNIZED BRAND. creatine and otehr supplements aren't regulated so only buy brand names you can trust, and follow the doses

if you take too much it can lead to kidney problems
Rookie

by dss-qb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:57 pm

anyone got updates for us advice-givers?
Rookie