Question On Failed Converts

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Question On Failed Converts

by Paolo X » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 pm

After watching the Eskimos' preseason game against the Lions, I noticed the play with the botched snap on the convert attempt by the Lions in which an Eskie player recovered the ball and returned it about half the length of the field before being tackled.

Here are my questions:
1) Are 2 points earned if an opposing player returns a failed convert attempt all the way to the other goal?
2) Could blocked kicks, or otherwise failed convert kicks, be returned in the same manner too?
3) Could the opposing team score a single by kicking the ball over the other goal line if it is not in turn returned out of the end zone by the original kicking team?
All-Star

Re: Question On Failed Converts

by prairiedog72 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:17 am

Paolo X wrote:1) Are 2 points earned if an opposing player returns a failed convert attempt all the way to the other goal?

Yes.

Paolo X wrote:2) Could blocked kicks, or otherwise failed convert kicks, be returned in the same manner too?

Yes.

Paolo X wrote:3) Could the opposing team score a single by kicking the ball over the other goal line if it is not in turn returned out of the end zone by the original kicking team?

Not entirely sure, but as far as I know, no. A convert is not a normal play from scrimmage and normal scoring rules do not apply. Unless the rulebook specifically states that the opposing team can kick a single returning a convert then I would say no. If you can't score a TD returning a convert then it would reason that you can't score a rouge either.
Jones' head on a platter, with a side order of Reynolds. Nothing less.
All-Star

by backer@oldclarke » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:15 pm

http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_statscoring#N
From the rule book on scoring plays [Sec.14].
prdog 72 is correct however.
All-Star

by VoiceofReason » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Paolo X wrote:After watching the Eskimos' preseason game against the Lions, I noticed the play with the botched snap on the convert attempt by the Lions in which an Eskie player recovered the ball and returned it about half the length of the field before being tackled.

Here are my questions:
1) Are 2 points earned if an opposing player returns a failed convert attempt all the way to the other goal?
2) Could blocked kicks, or otherwise failed convert kicks, be returned in the same manner too?
3) Could the opposing team score a single by kicking the ball over the other goal line if it is not in turn returned out of the end zone by the original kicking team?

1) Yes
2) ?
3) ?
All-Star

by CatsFaninOttawa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 pm

prairiedog72 wrote:
Paolo X wrote:3) Could the opposing team score a single by kicking the ball over the other goal line if it is not in turn returned out of the end zone by the original kicking team?

Not entirely sure, but as far as I know, no. A convert is not a normal play from scrimmage and normal scoring rules do not apply. Unless the rulebook specifically states that the opposing team can kick a single returning a convert then I would say no. If you can't score a TD returning a convert then it would reason that you can't score a rouge either.

No, a single point would not be scored. The rule book mentions the following possible scoring results on a convert:
  • Team A (offence) kicks through the uprights - 1 point
  • Play ends with Team A with the ball in Team B's goal area - 2 points (if Team A gains control after ball kicked across the line of scrimmage, no points)
  • Play ends with Team B with the ball in Team A's goal area - 2 points
Basically, anything that Team A can do to score, Team B can as well. Except there is nothing about whether Team B would be get a single point if they were to dropkick the ball through Team A's uprights. Not that many players could do that these days, and it's very unlikely that anyone would do it after running the ball back 100 yards or so.
All-Star