GC Jailbreak Riders Screen Pass With Video & Slides

Discussion of technique and strategy.

GC Jailbreak Riders Screen Pass With Video & Slides

by Paolo X » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:27 pm

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/16073?autostart=true

Check out starting at 2:37 the finest execution of a screen pass by the Riders that I ever remember in any league. The pass went from Durant to Koch for big yards.

Stop the tape at 2:39 and notice the following:

1) All five interior lineman downfield ready to block
2) Two receivers, one on each side, also in line ready to block
3) #20 Wes Cates providing not only a second option for the play to the right of Durant that probably would have netted a similar result, but also providing a distraction or freezing the entire front seven of the Al's defence!

As I did not see the game because I was on travel in a rental car that did not even have it on XM radio :x , I wonder if the Riders tried this play as well during any other part of the game?

Though the rules are different with regard to lineman downfield on such plays in American football, Pat Kirwan breaks down well in the following article the variations of screen pass plays. Apparently many variations have developed in only the last few years or so of gridiron football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ew-element
All-Star

Re: GC Jailbreak Riders Screen Pass With Video & Slides

by Paolo X » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:25 pm

More NFL and CFL film here to watch as well:

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota at Washington 2010, 0:24
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201011280 ... kins/watch

Bryan Crawford, Calgary at Toronto 2010, 2:59
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53105#p938033
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Great article about strategy for passing to RBs here by Pat Kirwan:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... nning-back

The best in the business in the NFL for RB's down here is LeSean McCoy of the Philadelphia Eagles, but note also that the Eagles' West-Coast type offence is geared to getting the ball to him in space often.

Up there I thought the best in the business for receiving for RBs last season was Cobourne, but Boyd, Cates, and Cobb are more solid overall as backs including with their receiving skills.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 am

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201012191 ... #tab:watch

Having watched the highlights of this game as well in the best weekend of NFL football to date this season gave me a higher appreciation for BOTH brands of gridiron. I would hope it does the same for you when you check out this plays executed successfully at about 0:45 and 2:12 of this great highlight clip.

At 0:45, combined with the Grey Cup footage of the Riders successful jailbreak screen, you will see exposed the critical difference of the rules of each game for sake of screen passes. Notice the position of the lead jailbreak Packers lineman when the ball is thrown.

In contrast to in the CFL as shown in the Riders clip, for which I just wish we had those rules in American football in this regard, notice the lineman is within a yard of the LOS when the ball in thrown (not when it is caught).

In the CFL as in the Riders clip, the lineman could be anywhere further afield so long as he does not make contact with a defender before any such pass is received as I understand.

In the NFL there is an exception and guidance provided to officials on all pass plays for such contact downfield by lineman before the ball is thrown on a screen pass. If the lineman is beyond one yard of the LOS, and if the lineman is engaged in a block AND does not proceed forward should the defender disengage, there is no penalty for such contact. Practically speaking officials also will give the lineman only one step forward upon disengagement of the defender, and in large part they will give the lineman benefit of doubt in that regard and as I have noticed if the lineman were less than 2 yards downfield in any case.

Violation of any such rules of position for lineman on any pass play in the NFL would be penalised as "ineligible receiver downfield." You won't hear that penalty very often any more because by Div I/FBS college most lineman know the rule and execute well on screen pass plays. Furthermore officials do give benefit of doubt to the lineman when it is close and the position of the lineman is deemed not in the play.

At 2:12 check out the formation and execution of the screen pass with the bunch receiver formation off tackle left instead of a tight end, and it should remind you of such a play as you had seen regularly in the last season from the Stamps, Argos, and/or Riders for the most part.

Lemon haters take note here especially, as in such a case NFL experience for a CFL QB executing such an offense would in fact pay-off. Don't get me wrong, I don't and won't excuse Lemon's noxious brainfarts, but with such NFL experience he is way better in fundamentals otherwise than a true rookie. You go with the true rookie and in most cases you are really, really rolling some dice loaded against you as they saw clearly in Montreal with Chris Leak. :roll:
All-Star