Highschool

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Highschool

by RiderzFan2006 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:37 pm

I think this Fits in this forum. Im going into highschool at walter murray collegiate for those that know of it. And im gonna Tryout for football as a running back. But i am very Skinny and Not very strong and im about 5'4.
So any Tips?
Go Riders Go!
Starter

RE: Highschool

by Argos_fever » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 am

Most important things would be to keep your head up as long as reasonable and to not run east-west too much. Weight training never hurts, but don't go too crazy with it as it can stunt long term growth at your age.

Other then that, eat healthy, drink lots of water and give it 100% on every play, drill or scrimmage, coaches notice.
Starter

by Riders05 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Another thing to remember is because you're probably smaller than other players, bend your knees a bit and run low. Keep your center of gravity as low as possible and keep your legs pumping. Those big LB's might have trouble bringing you down if your knee is in their gut.
Rookie

by 2Huskies2 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:31 am

dont try to do all the tricky dangles and whatnot, just travel towards the endzone, get the job done the fastest way possible, it might not be that simple but thats how it works.
it aint about who has the bigger muscles.. its about who has the biggest desire to win.
Practice Squad

by Kman7 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Tip : As a running back, never run out of bounds, you will never see the field. Take a hit, and run up field you will impress the coaches. It is not always about size, you are wearing $1000 worth of equipment, you will be fine.
Veteran

by herschel » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Biggest advice i can give you as a RB who came out fo the walter murray system is to go play jr ball and listen to what the coaches tell you.

Murray has one of the best, if not the best, jr programs in saskatoon. dont worry about your size in grade 9. grade 9 and 10 are just for development, if you are still that small come Sr ball the coaches will let you know if they think you can make it at RB.

Also dont expect to be the number one guy of the depth chart right out of grade nine, cause you wouldnt be. But you will see the field. so keep working hard and LISTEN TO YOUR COACHES!!!
Starter

by bcfan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 pm

Any tips for a 5'6" grade 10 corner?
Starter

by RiderzFan2006 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:55 pm

Wow thanks alot guys. You actually got my confidence up becuase all of my friends are always saying you wont be a good running back your too skinny and that kind of stuff.

but thanks
Go Riders Go!
Starter

by NovaScotian » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:37 pm

if RB never works out for you, be a kicker like me (no match for my skill tho :lol: )
but seriously, if it doesnt work out at all, try an easier position, like halfback/corner/saftey, or even try some WR (you'd be too small for slotback i think)
grade 9's hardly ever see the field, at least here because 1-only like 10 highschools in the province have grade 9';s and only 3 of those schools have football programs (including us) and 2- grade 9 is a learning year for football. pay close attention, do what the coaches expect of you, and you never know, you might even play a few series. its all about impression, you ahve to fight for your position. good luck, i believe in you!! :P
Veteran

by RiderzFan2006 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:14 am

NovaScotian wrote:if RB never works out for you, be a kicker like me (no match for my skill tho :lol: )
but seriously, if it doesnt work out at all, try an easier position, like halfback/corner/saftey, or even try some WR (you'd be too small for slotback i think)
grade 9's hardly ever see the field, at least here because 1-only like 10 highschools in the province have grade 9';s and only 3 of those schools have football programs (including us) and 2- grade 9 is a learning year for football. pay close attention, do what the coaches expect of you, and you never know, you might even play a few series. its all about impression, you ahve to fight for your position. good luck, i believe in you!! :P

Im Actaually a reciever now :p
Go Riders Go!
Starter

by eyebleedgreen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:25 am

RiderzFan2006 wrote:Wow thanks alot guys. You actually got my confidence up becuase all of my friends are always saying you wont be a good running back your too skinny and that kind of stuff.

but thanks

One way to fix that 'skinny' thing ... El-empringhams ... ( if its still in existance ?? ) lol, from what i remember good all you can eat food on sundays ;)

And look in the 'tips' thread that riders05 started.. I've listed some very good training methods there
Veteran

Re: RE: Highschool

by eyebleedgreen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:30 am

bcfan wrote:Any tips for a 5'6" grade 10 corner?

Study passing routes, and coverages.. watch placement of CBs covering WR's in all the football CFL NFL etc. you watch...
Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Highschool

by BobbyP » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:10 pm

bcfan join track and field and learn how to get fast speed would go a long way. Go to a juinior football practice and watch the drills the dbs are doing making sure your using the correct form back peddling etc.
Celebrating 5 Grey Cup Championships since 1954
Lions Forever Forever Lions
All-Star

RE: Re: RE: Highschool

by RiderzFan2006 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Just thought id update you on how my football is going. Im now a WR, Was one of the Starters in grade ten and at the end of our Junior Season I tried out for senior and got it!

Im now about 5"9 and about 135 pounds.
Go Riders Go!
Starter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Highschool

by jordan02 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:10 pm

RiderzFan2006 wrote:Just thought id update you on how my football is going. Im now a WR, Was one of the Starters in grade ten and at the end of our Junior Season I tried out for senior and got it!

Im now about 5"9 and about 135 pounds.

soooooo exactly how old r u?

cuz i am 5'11 180 pounds and i just turned 14(alot of people say i am big for my age though)

i am gunna try out for junior football in the spring, i am hoping to be a linebacker (i love to hit people) and my second choice would be d-line

:D :D :rockin:
All-Star

Next