SK/CGY Officiating

Discussion of technique and strategy.

SK/CGY Officiating

by Paulback22 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 pm

I had posted in another topic "CFL Problems"(posted Sept.'08) and here is an exerpt....... The referees are horrible--calls are; missed, inconsistent from game to game and it seems that most times it hurts them just to think. I want the job to be in charge and evaluate refs. I don't know if I can drink as much as the guy that does it now but I'll try.
Flash forward to the game at hand......Burris falls down(untouched) and Chick dives/falls on him(no blow to the head etc.)and this is a roughing penalty? Would have been 3rd and forever-well out of field goal range. Luckily once again our incompetent officials jump in to save the day for no reason whatsoever.
This could have been one of the CFLs all time great games but instead turned into one of the CFLs typical games. We have a good league up here but if we lost the governing body & revamped the officiating(right to the top) we could have agret league.
To put things in perspective I am a Lions fan and therefore not biased on this......just pissed off that these calls keep happening.
Rookie

Re: SK/CGY Officiating

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:11 pm

i truly hope the let you nowhere near any officiating job as you clearly dont understand the rules to the CFL lol :P what happened is Burris has tripped and is making no attempt to get up, basically has taken the fetal position lol. all that needs to happen is for Chick to waltz up, even skip a little if he pleases, and touch burris. whistle blows, play ends, riders get the ball with loads of time and possibly secure a win. INSTEAD Chick takes a shot at Henry. UNECESSARY HIT = UNECESSARY ROUGHNESS Burris was NOT in a position to defend against this hit and thats why it was called. it was not called roughing the passer. there is a difference since you are specifically calling on this particular moment in an AMAZING game. Me and my brother both walked away, shaking hands with the riders fan beside us agreeing that the ending was suiting of the rate of play for both teams.
"caps lock = cruise control for cool" ~ Grims
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Let me get this straight....if a player falls down with the football, and the play is live, nobody is allowed to hit this guy? In your words they should "waltz" or "skip" on over and "touch" him? You do realize that this is football and it's a contact sport don't you? When you have a chance to hit someone you take it.....period. This isn't "touch" or "flag" football, it's "tackle" football. Burris got tackled/hit/fallen on by Chick and since this is exactly how the game is supposed to be played there wasn't even a pushing scrum by the Stamps afterwords in their outrage over their defenseless QB(who wasn't even bothered by the hit) getting hit. Why? Because they would have done it to the Riders QB if they had the chance. I'm glad that you completely unbiased(please note sarcasm) Stamps fans, enjoyed the game and, found a Rider fan that is also a fan of non-contact sports. Enjoy the curling season.
Rookie

by Chief » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:53 am

Football is a contact sport, but if you haven't noticed, they've been trying to protect the quarterback!

Someone else posted the specific rule in the game topic in the main board. I suggest you check it out. According to the rule, that was a penalty.
2015 Grey Cup Champions

Site Staff

by Paulback22 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:20 am

I have noticed that they are trying to protect the QB but from someone falling on them while the ball is still live? These guys are that weak? This gets called every game? No, No and No...........but at a pivital point of a game? Then yes. Things are getting so idiotic that we might as well start handing out a single point for a missed fieldgoal.

I also saw the rule, but the discretion is up to the ref to call the penalty in the first place. The players on Calgary weren't even upset by it and Burris wasn't upset by it(he was pissed that he fell down but not by the hit). But SUPER-Ref jumped in to save the day with not only a 15yd penalty but an automatic first down.

And lets not point to the allmighty rule book because these refs screw up all the time and blatantly. For example.....if the refs called the recievers everytime they were across the line of scrimmage before the snap then these games would be 5 hours long. Obviously offside all day long but when they are 3yds down field they call it because then they are REALLY OFFSIDE(I don't see the difference in the allmighty rulebook)!
Rookie

by Sportsmen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 pm

I think Tom Higgins explained it pretty well:

http://www.cfl.ca/article/higgins-a-tri ... planations

Thank goodness you're (O.P.) not in charge! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hall of Famer

by Paulback22 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am

Here is the rule...."Any player in possession of the ball, who
falls to the ground without contact and is not attempting to advance the ball, may only
be touched down and may not be contacted in any other manner,".
So you are telling me that when Burris hit the ground, approximately 23yds from a firstdown in OT and would soon be facing a 3rd down play, that he is so useless of a competitor that if Chick wouldn't have been there he wouldn't have got up? If Reynolds got there first he wouldn't have chucked him the ball from the ground? He would have in "no way" tried to advance the ball? Oh I see.......the ref was a mind reader. Give your head a shake!
I would say that he never got the chance to advance the ball because Chick was there. He hit the turf , looked up and then Chick came in from the side.......bang-bang-bang------just that quick.
If the players are so weak & vulnerable then lets cut to the chase and adopt College/University rules and then whenever a player falls down then the play is over.
A grown man doesn't get there as fast as he can and then slow down so he just "touches" the guy on the ground-------that is idiotic.
Rookie

by bohdon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Or perhaps once the QB falls it suddenly becomes touch football and everyone is supposed to slow down....just a little bit mind you but you must slow down...ya right!

Sorry but I'm still burnin.

Bad call.
Starter

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:20 am

i think a ssk fan should not be allowed to comment on this as the objectiveness of their view point is well anything but...check the rules i posted it and thanks chief for being able to look past the who was where and what team did what to asses the play as a play made in the CFL under the CFL rules and this is NOT a rule made to protect the QB its a rule to protect all players...and as for IF CHICK WAS NOT THERE comment you made...of course he would get up and run...but he didnt cause chick was there...he didnt want to take a hit for nothing so he stayed down...there have been comments made that chick could not see burris was down till it was too late...were his eyes closed...there wasnt a big wall to keep henry out of sight...either way ACCORDING TO THE RULES call was the proper one...if you dont like the whole up to the sole refs judgement than take that up but these are the rules and he made no bad call as per the rule book which is what the refs are going buy even if you dont like it...sorry i guess?
Veteran

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:21 am

also before some rider fan gets his panties in a knot the whole ssk fan should not be able to comment on this was a JOKE you dont have to laugh im assuming you wont find it funny but its not neccessary to lose your marbles over it :thup:
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Speaking of objectiveness...........? Really? C'mon you can't be that stupid.

As for the chiefs comments on the rule---here is this.....

So for almost a week we have had to listen to quotes like "that's what the rule is" and "we are trying to protect the QB" due to the hit on Burris from Chick. Every "frail little boy" standing up against the horror of the hit and even Higgins standing behind his boys, as they screw it up again, saying it was the right call.

I was watching the Ed vs Cgy game tonight and right before half Ray gets rid of the ball and ONE FULL SECOND later gets hit and knocked to the ground 6 feet from the ref(who is looking right them) and.............................NO CALL!!!!!

Where is the QB protection? Where is the consistent calls?..................Not in the CFL. I'm a lions fan but, as I was born on the prairies, I know BS when I smell it. I wonder what load of BS Higgins will sell this week? TRIVIA QUESTION....WHAT TEAMS HAS TOM HIGGINS COACHED?

Also.......I wonder if chiefs is feeling as warm and fuzzy about the rules this week? Nope!!

So where are these consistent proper calls? I guess until Calgary gets hit with one you won't see it. Of course Calgary keeps benefitting from these calls or lack there of, starting to set a pattern.

I would also comment on the last posting but it is too confusing on what point is trying to be made.
Rookie

by Chief » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm

You need a tissue to wipe away the tears? :wink:
2015 Grey Cup Champions

Site Staff

by Jakob7 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:19 am

Chief wrote:You need a tissue to wipe away the tears? :wink:

LOL no kidding no matter how the rules are written or what actually happened if it doesnt go their way its a bad call...i didnt hear too many riders complaining about officiating in the lions game LOL where chick got away with some of these hits...it will never be good enough unfourtantly for most people on here...i admit i have complained about officiating on here but really...if you were never in OT than it wouldnt have been an issue
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:36 pm

First of all......Chiefs.....I don't cry when I complain--that must be an Alberta thing.

Second.....Jakob........I am a Lions fan(try to read the whole article you are responding to) and you didn't hear me complaining about the call in the Lions game referring to that hit did you? (but that really doesn't help your argument of fair & consistent calls does it?---please read that last sentence over again so that you don't get something wrong again)
........I will complain about a poor call even if it benefits my Lions as I want to see the teams decide the outcome, not incompetent refs
........and your last sentence, like most of your dialogue, does not make sense. A Clue: spell check doesn't help poor grammar--I cannot understand you and that makes it hard to respond to(maybe that is your strategy--can't convince then confuse)

Lastly......now both of you read this carefully before you respond. Feel free to get someone to help you, since you obviously need to, as there is no shame to admitting that you have a problem.
Rookie

by Chief » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:38 pm

First off, it's Chief. There's no S.
Second, if you'd bothered to glance to the right, you would've noticed that my profile says I'm from Ontario, not Alberta (and you get on us for not picking things up).
Third, you're going to attack Jakob for his poor writing? Now that's hilarious!

It's been over a week. Get over it already. Every team gets bad calls once in a while.
2015 Grey Cup Champions

Site Staff

Next