No yards on blocked kicks.

Discussion of technique and strategy.

No yards on blocked kicks.

by fraggleshubby » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:35 pm

In the Montreal / BC game, there was a field goal attempt by BC that was partially blocked and when the Montreal player picked up the ball the officials called no yards on the Lions. My question is this: If the Montreal player who partially blocked the kick, doesn't that qualify as a Montreal player touching the ball and therefore both teams should be able to touch the ball and therefore there should not be a no yards call. TSN mentioned the no yards call, and a questionable conduct call, but they did not explain how there could be no yards after a montreal player touched the ball.
Practice Squad

Re: No yards on blocked kicks.

by FanAls689 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:30 pm

I am not a football official, but I am wondering if the fact that the ball did cross the line of scrimmage prevents from calling it a blocked kick. Maybe someone with greater knowledge of the rulebook can advise.

from the rule book...
SECTION 3 – BLOCKED KICK
Article 1 – Defnition
A blocked kick is a kick from scrimmage in which, after being kicked, the ball is
prevented from crossing the line of scrimmage because of contact with an opponent
or a player of the kicking team who is offside
Practice Squad

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:29 am

exactly if you tip the kick its not blocked as it goes down field...would be the same as regular miss...the blocked kick kinda resembles a fumble...ball is live and if the kicking team picks it up somehow they have a shot at gaining first down yardage...but obviously its more likely that the d picks it up and runs it back for a good gain if not a td...wish more of these happened lol its an exciting play...i especially liked the one by baron miles? or maybe it was banks? cant remember this year tho against riders i think LOL my memory is failing me...but the BC player jumped the center and blocked the kick LOL greatest play ive seen this year
"caps lock = cruise control for cool" ~ Grims
Veteran

by CatsFaninOttawa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:50 pm

As long as the ball crosses the line of scrimmage, it is not classed as a blocked kick.
RULE 5 - KICKING
SECTION 3 – BLOCKED KICK
Article 1 – Definition
A blocked kick is a kick from scrimmage in which, after being kicked, the ball is
prevented from crossing the line of scrimmage because of contact with an opponent
or a player of the kicking team who is offside.

It is not a blocked kick if, on a kick from scrimmage, the ball is touched by or touches
an opponent or a player of the kicking team who is offside and then crosses the line
of scrimmage. Such touching of the ball shall be disregarded.

Therefore, all rules applying to punts and field goals are still in effect, including the no yards penalty.

Jakob7 wrote:exactly if you tip the kick its not blocked as it goes down field...would be the same as regular miss...the blocked kick kinda resembles a fumble...ball is live and if the kicking team picks it up somehow they have a shot at gaining first down yardage...

Incorrect, based on the above rule. Only a player who is onside would be able to enter the five yard area and recover the kick, even after a tip.
All-Star

by nlsanand » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm

CatsFaninOttawa wrote:As long as the ball crosses the line of scrimmage, it is not classed as a blocked kick.
RULE 5 - KICKING
SECTION 3 – BLOCKED KICK
Article 1 – Definition
or a player of the kicking team who is offside.

It is not a blocked kick if, on a kick from scrimmage, the ball is touched by or touches
an opponent or a player of the kicking team who is offside and then crosses the line
of scrimmage. Such touching of the ball shall be disregarded.

Therefore, all rules applying to punts and field goals are still in effect, including the no yards penalty.

Jakob7 wrote:exactly if you tip the kick its not blocked as it goes down field...would be the same as regular miss...the blocked kick kinda resembles a fumble...ball is live and if the kicking team picks it up somehow they have a shot at gaining first down yardage...

Incorrect, based on the above rule. Only a player who is onside would be able to enter the five yard area and recover the kick, even after a tip.

Does anyone know how the rule is applied to open field kicks? Is it possible to "block" an open field kick?
Rookie

by CatsFaninOttawa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 pm

nlsanand wrote:Does anyone know how the rule is applied to open field kicks? Is it possible to "block" an open field kick?

It looks like only kicks from scrimmage can be deemed to be blocked. The definition of a blocked kick starts "A blocked kick is a kick from scrimmage...." And later, when defining the "no yards" restriction, it starts, "When on a kick from scrimmage (ball crosses the line of scrimmage), or on an open field kick...." Also note that the initial contact by a defender on an open field kick, including blocking or deflecting the kick, is enough to negate the "no yards" restriction. That could result in some pretty nasty hits on the receiver on a deflected kick. It also means that any offensive player within five yards of the defensive player making contact should be penalized for "no yards" Seems ridiculous, but technically, that is what the rule seems to indicate.

One question is whether a kick by the punter who has started running for a first down is now deemed an open field kick, or is still a kick from scrimmage. The only difference between the two would be if contact is made, which is quite possible in this case.
All-Star

by nlsanand » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 pm

CatsFaninOttawa wrote:
nlsanand wrote:Does anyone know how the rule is applied to open field kicks? Is it possible to "block" an open field kick?

It looks like only kicks from scrimmage can be deemed to be blocked. The definition of a blocked kick starts "A blocked kick is a kick from scrimmage...." And later, when defining the "no yards" restriction, it starts, "When on a kick from scrimmage (ball crosses the line of scrimmage), or on an open field kick...." Also note that the initial contact by a defender on an open field kick, including blocking or deflecting the kick, is enough to negate the "no yards" restriction. That could result in some pretty nasty hits on the receiver on a deflected kick. It also means that any offensive player within five yards of the defensive player making contact should be penalized for "no yards" Seems ridiculous, but technically, that is what the rule seems to indicate.

One question is whether a kick by the punter who has started running for a first down is now deemed an open field kick, or is still a kick from scrimmage. The only difference between the two would be if contact is made, which is quite possible in this case.

Yah I was kinda wondering what "kick from scrimmage" meant as well. My guess is it means that it's a kick from behind the line and taken by the guy who received the snap. So a running punter would still considered as a kick from scrimmage. But the rules should be clarified.

I guess I was wondering too if you have an open field kick and a guy gets a piece of it, and there's someone on the kicking team who is ahead of the punter (but ahead), will it be a no yards penalty?
Rookie

by Paolo X » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 pm

NLSANAND:
Yah I was kinda wondering what "kick from scrimmage" meant as well. My guess is it means that it's a kick from behind the line and taken by the guy who received the snap. So a running punter would still considered as a kick from scrimmage. But the rules should be clarified.

Quite simply, for any kick at or behind the line of scrimmage, it is a kick from scrimmage. Otherwise in front of the line of scrimmage it is an open field kick.

I guess I was wondering too if you have an open field kick and a guy gets a piece of it, and there's someone on the kicking team who is ahead of the punter (but ahead), will it be a no yards penalty?

Article 6 – Onside & Offside
An onside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is behind the ball at the instant it is kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line. An offside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is not onside.
An offside player becomes an onside player when the ball, after being kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line, touches or is touched by an opponent, the kicker or another onside player.
EXCEPTION: On a kick from scrimmage, if a Team B player touches the ball before it crosses the line of scrimmage, such touching does not put an offside player of Team A onside.
All-Star

by CatsFaninOttawa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 am

Paolo X wrote:
nlsanand wrote:I guess I was wondering too if you have an open field kick and a guy gets a piece of it, and there's someone on the kicking team who is ahead of the punter (but ahead), will it be a no yards penalty?

An onside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is behind the ball at the instant it is kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line. An offside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is not onside.
An offside player becomes an onside player when the ball, after being kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line, touches or is touched by an opponent, the kicker or another onside player.
EXCEPTION: On a kick from scrimmage, if a Team B player touches the ball before it crosses the line of scrimmage, such touching does not put an offside player of Team A onside.

That is the rule, but the answer to his question is...?

Based on this rule, my interpretation is that any contact by a defensive player on an open field kick (a kick made after crossing the line of scrimmage), including a deflection, would put all kicking team players onside from that point on. So there would not be a no yards penalty downfield on a deflected open field kick. There would, however, be a no yards penalty called if an offside kicking team player happened to be within five yards of the defensive player who deflected the kick, for example, a blocker running ahead of the kicker.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

And Cats your interpretation of the rule as written looks correct to me ...
All-Star

by nlsanand » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:28 am

Paolo X wrote:NLSANAND:

Quite simply, for any kick at or behind the line of scrimmage, it is a kick from scrimmage. Otherwise in front of the line of scrimmage it is an open field kick.

Paolo, what's your basis for that definition of "kick from scrimmage", it sounds good but is that just an interpretation?
Rookie

by Paolo X » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Nlsanand the rule book has a whole section on it within the section on kicks as goes into far more detail than the basic description below.
All-Star