Wildcat Offence 2009

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Wildcat Offence 2009

by sudbury_fan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:00 pm

Wildcat offence, which teams would use it most successfully in 2009?
Nothing is easy....
Starter

Re: Wildcat Offence 2009

by jordan02 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:57 pm

with Reggie McNeal, the argo should be pretty successful at it.
All-Star

by Massdestruction » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Argos got burned on the wildcat play set, but thats Toronto,s version, it doesnt have to be done the way toronto did . IMHO there has to be more than 1 qb on the field, and at all times, for it to be used to advantage!
All-Star

by l3moning » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Massdestruction wrote: IMHO there has to be more than 1 qb on the field, and at all times, for it to be used to advantage!

At least two pass threats certainly.
Rookie

Re: Wildcat Offence 2010 And Beyond

by Paolo X » Tue May 18, 2010 1:47 am

Massdestruction wrote:Argos got burned on the wildcat play set, but thats Toronto,s version, it doesnt have to be done the way toronto did . IMHO there has to be more than 1 qb on the field, and at all times, for it to be used to advantage!

The jury is out with regard to this Wildcat/Single Wing formation in the NFL back on the decline, as only the Miami Dolphins managed to use it successfully consistently even without two quarterbacks on the field. In fact had they had even an average defence, they would have beaten even the mighty Indianapolis Colts with it last year. Few teams have the time to practise to defend it well mind you.

I thought incorrectly Philadelphia would use it more by putting McNabb and Vick on the field at the same time in the 4th quarter, but there is a rule in the NFL that restricts the use of the 3rd "emergency quarterback" in the game other than in the 4th quarter lest BOTH the other two quarterbacks on roster are no longer in the game. It still could have worked when Vick wase listed as the 2nd quarterback, but both McNabb and Vick were seldom on the field at the same time even in that case.

Again by the 4th quarter the rule does not apply and ANY one of the three quarterbacks can play wherever and whenever so long as the 3rd quarterback never entered the game before the 4th quarter.

The rule sucks in my view, as no doubt who would not want to see such an offense to threaten with two potential decent passers more often?

Mind you also that in the Wildcat formation in the NFL or on any offencive possession, an actual bonafide QB must stay on the field as well though not taking the snap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

There are no such restrictions that would affect the Wildcat formation mind you in NCAA football, and there do not appear to be for the CFL lest I am mistaken that a true QB must remain on the field all the same unlike in the NCAA?
All-Star

Re: Wildcat Offence 2010 And Beyond

by CatsFaninOttawa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:33 am

Paolo X wrote:There are no such restrictions that would affect the Wildcat formation mind you in NCAA football, and there do not appear to be for the CFL lest I am mistaken that a true QB must remain on the field all the same unlike in the NCAA?

I think you're right that there is nothing in the rules to say that there has to be a QB on the field.
Rule 4, Section 5
Article 5 – Designated Quarterback
Prior to the game, a team is required to designate three players who shall be permitted
to alternate for each other during the game at the quarterback position exclusively.
Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and none of the three
can enter the game as a member of Team B.
PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option

Note it states "Not more than one ...", not "One ...".

I still think the wildcat works best with multiple players who can throw. I could actually see Hamilton running it at some point this year using Bruce and Stala. Or throw Porter in at QB instead of Glenn, having him roll out before the snap, maybe even send him downfield as a receiver? The possibilities are endless.
All-Star