conceded safeties

Discussion of technique and strategy.

conceded safeties

by Massdestruction » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 pm

as a mercy rule OK if one team is totally dominating the other , but teams with the lead, or only down by under 21 points , CFL Please!! impose a unsportsmanlike penalty on deliberate misuse of a mercy rule!!! now i feel better :twisted: And stop throwing the flags on Every Kick or Punt return! :oops:
All-Star
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Re: conceded safeties

by Avro Arrow » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Massdestruction wrote:as a mercy rule OK if one team is totally dominating the other , but teams with the lead, or only down by under 21 points , CFL Please!! impose a unsportsmanlike penalty on deliberate misuse of a mercy rule!!! now i feel better :twisted: And stop throwing the flags on Every Kick or Punt return! :oops:


Ok, it's obvious you don't understand CFL football very well so I'll try to explain what's going on to you. The conceded safety is done not as a mercy rule but to get out of a field position hole. You see, because the CFL has the goal posts at the goal line (the NFL used to do this as well but moved them to the back), a punt from deep in the end zone will almost always guarantee that the opposing team will get at least a field goal on their next possession if the punt is carried out. As a result, the kicking team will usually have the punter run out of the end zone so that they get a free kick at the 30 yard line which is usually enough to stick your opponent deep in their half of the field. That saves one point and gives you far better field position. As for the flags on kickoffs and punts, those are "no yards" penalties. The kick/punt returner is supposed to be given a 5-yard "personal space" that must be maintained before he touches the ball. Those flags you see are a result of the kicking team getting illegally close to the returner before he has the ball. As a result, a flag is thrown just like any other time an official sees a player breaking the rules. It's true that it happens a lot but that's not the official's fault. That's the fault of the players who break this rule so often. If the official didn't throw a flag, he wouldn't be doing his job properly.
User avatar
Rookie
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:25 am

Re: conceded safeties

by CatsFaninOttawa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Avro Arrow wrote:...
The conceded safety is done not as a mercy rule but to get out of a field position hole. You see, because the CFL has the goal posts at the goal line (the NFL used to do this as well but moved them to the back), a punt from deep in the end zone will almost always guarantee that the opposing team will get at least a field goal on their next possession if the punt is carried out. As a result, the kicking team will usually have the punter run out of the end zone so that they get a free kick at the 30 yard line which is usually enough to stick your opponent deep in their half of the field. That saves one point and gives you far better field position.
...

Personally, I don't like the automatic safety touch that teams take in this case. I think the league should try to make it more of a decision - maybe move the kickoff back to the 20? 15? 10? - whatever it takes. This strategy seems to have taken hold in the last 15 to 20 years. I don't remember it at all when I was growing up. In fact, I was watching film of the '67 Grey Cup Game the other day (Oskee Wee Wee!), and was quite surprised when both teams chose to punt from inside their endzone.

By the way, the kickoff after a safety touch is from the 25, not the 30. The scoring team also has the option of taking the ball on their own 35 or kicking off themselves from their own 35. I've never seen any team take either of these options, and probably never will (maybe if there's a gale force wind that would result in a 85-yard kickoff to the goal line).
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9354
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: conceded safeties

by nlsanand » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:02 pm

CatsFaninOttawa wrote:
Avro Arrow wrote:...
The conceded safety is done not as a mercy rule but to get out of a field position hole. You see, because the CFL has the goal posts at the goal line (the NFL used to do this as well but moved them to the back), a punt from deep in the end zone will almost always guarantee that the opposing team will get at least a field goal on their next possession if the punt is carried out. As a result, the kicking team will usually have the punter run out of the end zone so that they get a free kick at the 30 yard line which is usually enough to stick your opponent deep in their half of the field. That saves one point and gives you far better field position.
...

Personally, I don't like the automatic safety touch that teams take in this case. I think the league should try to make it more of a decision - maybe move the kickoff back to the 20? 15? 10? - whatever it takes. This strategy seems to have taken hold in the last 15 to 20 years. I don't remember it at all when I was growing up. In fact, I was watching film of the '67 Grey Cup Game the other day (Oskee Wee Wee!), and was quite surprised when both teams chose to punt from inside their endzone.

By the way, the kickoff after a safety touch is from the 25, not the 30. The scoring team also has the option of taking the ball on their own 35 or kicking off themselves from their own 35. I've never seen any team take either of these options, and probably never will (maybe if there's a gale force wind that would result in a 85-yard kickoff to the goal line).



I saw Ottawa elect to take it at the 35 once in a game against Toronto back in 1994. However, it was a weird situation where they had sacked our QB in the endzone and we were now down by 8. Taking the ball themselves allowed them to run out the clock (I think the game ended with them punting the ball out of bounds).
Rookie
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: conceded safeties

by CatsFaninOttawa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 am

nlsanand wrote:
CatsFaninOttawa wrote:
Avro Arrow wrote:...
The conceded safety is done not as a mercy rule but to get out of a field position hole. You see, because the CFL has the goal posts at the goal line (the NFL used to do this as well but moved them to the back), a punt from deep in the end zone will almost always guarantee that the opposing team will get at least a field goal on their next possession if the punt is carried out. As a result, the kicking team will usually have the punter run out of the end zone so that they get a free kick at the 30 yard line which is usually enough to stick your opponent deep in their half of the field. That saves one point and gives you far better field position.
...

Personally, I don't like the automatic safety touch that teams take in this case. I think the league should try to make it more of a decision - maybe move the kickoff back to the 20? 15? 10? - whatever it takes. This strategy seems to have taken hold in the last 15 to 20 years. I don't remember it at all when I was growing up. In fact, I was watching film of the '67 Grey Cup Game the other day (Oskee Wee Wee!), and was quite surprised when both teams chose to punt from inside their endzone.

By the way, the kickoff after a safety touch is from the 25, not the 30. The scoring team also has the option of taking the ball on their own 35 or kicking off themselves from their own 35. I've never seen any team take either of these options, and probably never will (maybe if there's a gale force wind that would result in a 85-yard kickoff to the goal line).



I saw Ottawa elect to take it at the 35 once in a game against Toronto back in 1994. However, it was a weird situation where they had sacked our QB in the endzone and we were now down by 8. Taking the ball themselves allowed them to run out the clock (I think the game ended with them punting the ball out of bounds).

That makes sense. But as you say, a unique scenario.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 9354
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Ottawa


Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest