CFL problems

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Re: CFL problems

by Paulback22 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:54 am

So how do you feel about being punished for punting out of bounds in the air between the 20s?

I do enjoy the CFL but I believe it needs an upgrade.

I also think that a missed field goal should be given 0 pts and come out to the 25 yd line(hardly prime field position) and that might give the returning team the incentive to try a run back as coverage teams on field goal are usually slower than coverage teams on punts.

I don't understand how that is hypocritical.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 pm

what are the dimensions of the endzone? and where do the uprights sit in that endzone? so i now hope you realize that after the ball passes the uprights (through them or not) there is another 20 yards for the ball to travel. now the returner has a choice, concede the one point and get a better starting point...or return it and take your chances where you end up. this is called "strategy" and removing it makes the game less exciting. the fact that you cannot graps this makes no sense to me
Last edited by PrairieRouge on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attacks
"caps lock = cruise control for cool" ~ Grims
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Yes I "graps" what you are saying. But what I am saying is....what if the strategy was for the returner to kneel and 0 pts are rewarded(the ball comes out to the 25) or he runs it out and they scrimmage from there? Why should your strategy reward the other team? I don't find much excitement in watching 1 pt added to the scoreboard.

You never answered me.....how do you feel about being punished for punting out of bounds in the air between the 20s?

Punting for field position was always good "strategy" until 2 years ago when the league decided that we needed more exciting "safeties"

This league is thriving in spite of it's leadership not because of it.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm

i apologize i didnt proof read my online internet forum comment. but once again if you would like to watch the nfl than be my guest. if your punting for the corners than great but to just boot it out so no one can return it is bush. i love watching the teams line up so i can see the ball sail through the air and land out of bounds...it ranks up there with incomplete passes and throwing the ball away. you seem like all you want is NFL rules in the CFL, the point is a price you pay...how is there strategy in taking the ball on the 25 for nothing. that is how the NFL does it only on the 20. if you take the rouge away from missed field goals...a) you would have to change the entire system of the rouge...a missed field goal becomes a punt BTW, and b) id take a knee every time...25 yards for no price...sounds like that teams only winning in that situation. you are NOT GRASPING (is that better?) what i am telling you, you are only reading it. my guess is you have limited experience with the game other than watching it at home. a good example of the point working out was in the calgary edmonton game when calgary gave up the point only to take a knee...they should have ran it out and than taken a knee...this is a key component to the strategy involved in the CFL game once again if you would like to see your rules take effect, than watch the NFL, you have simply taken their rules and are trying to argue to have them enforced here in the CFL
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:15 pm

The CFL uses rules from the NFL which in turn also gets rules from NCAA.....most are for the safety of players. So get over the NFL! I am not trying to turn the CFL into the NFL. I am talking about rewarding failure and I don't want to see it deciding games let alone the Grey Cup...do you? A missed field goal goes through the endzone and they get the Grey Cup - lets make the kicker the game MVP as well....lol.

You are always concerned about the team being able to return punts(except when they are punting for the corners to pin someone in but you don't see the logic of kicking as far as you can--angling the ball out at say the 53-- so you are able to give the defense as much room as you can...that is hypocritical) or missed field goals so.........if a missed field goal goes over the endzone and therefore not giving the team an option of returning it, would that also be bush? Should they get the single point in that case?

These return guys have major wheels & a ton of confidence and they will run it out on a long missed field goal. They know the opportunity for a significant gain is ripe in these situations.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 pm

your being ridiculous, talking to you is like argueing wiht a 5 year old. THE NFL AND CFL SHARES RULES THAT MAKE THIS A SINGLE GAME, FOOTBALL. THE DIFFERENCE LIES IN SUBTLETIES SUCH AS OUR CANADIAN ROUGE AND THE AMERICANS FREE CATCH. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE RULES ARE SET SO THAT THE TEAM NOT KICKING THE BALL DOESNT GET DECENT FIELD POSITION FOR NOTHING. IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS THAN IVE GIVEN UP ON YOU.
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:40 am

You actually said this....."THE RULES ARE SET SO THAT THE TEAM NOT KICKING THE BALL DOESNT GET DECENT FIELD POSITION FOR NOTHING.".....yeah really.

If you are so gung ho about the "strategy" by the returning team after a missed field goal then why should the kicking team be rewarded for a miss that goes through the endzone in the air?

We already give 0pts for hitting the upright why not for out right missing?

C'mon you know you want to agree with me. Your argument is holding up like 1 ply TP in a rainstorm.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:14 am

i have no want to agree with you at all. ive told you why the rule is there and that i agree with it if you have concerns still write a letter to the league i have no more want to constantly repeat myself
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Your argument contradicts itself and so why I see that you don't want to answer the scenario laid out before you.

There are some rules in the CFL that don't make sense and I believe that they should be changed to better the game. I cannot just follow blindly along and that is why I wrote a letter to the CFL long before posting on here.

Now I have to write a letter to the NHL and ask if they could start rewarding a penalty shot that misses the net with 1/3 of a point. Unless it hits the post then it will still get 0........lmao.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm

you sir are beyond ridiculous
Veteran

by Chief » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Maybe time to go your separate ways, guys... :wink:
2015 Grey Cup Champions

Site Staff

by Jakob7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:02 pm

i agree
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:41 pm

I started this Post because I believe that with these changes the CFL has the ability to go from a really good league to a great league. I want to share ideas with anyone interested in this post.

You are both welcome to stay and debate this with me if you like or feel free to move on. As this interests me I will be checking in here from time to time to see if anyone else is interested in this Post.

Have a nice day.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:04 pm

what you do is not debating, you give points and when someone tells you somethign you refuse to listen or understand and than make ridiculous claims regarding other sports. the rules you want to change you are trying to take the nfl style of those rules and apply them to this league, if you think im wrong in saying that, than you deff have proven you have no sense of what you are saying. the rules you depict in the way you depict them are "bush". there are only two options for punt, fair catch or no yards. when a player is waiting for the punt, he is in a ridiculously dangerous spot. so you want no fair catch but you want no yards? be prepared to watch punt returners being driven off the field and having their careers end. and you already know my stand on the rouge. have anything else to say, than excellent. gonna continue on like a broken record? i wouldnt waste my time if i were you
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Okay, okay I was just kidding about hockey. C'mon grab a sense of humor.

There can be 2 options for a punt in the CFL.....1)catch the ball in the air and you will get the courtesy of a 5yd buffer or else a 15 yd penalty or 2)let the ball hit the ground and then it is fair game(the ball not the punt returner--the punting team still cannot purposefully keep the returner from getting the ball but they are allowed to down it). Either way nobody gets hurt. We are not talking about a fair catch.....so what is wrong with that? A pro-athlete should be able to catch the ball in the air and because they are intellegent they will position themselves so it doesn't get a chance to hit the ground.

The reason I want 0 pts for a "missed" field goal(where the returner could run it or kneel-then it comes out to the 25yd line) is not to reward failure. The side benefit is that the following scenario would not happen..........A team lines up for a 25yd field goal in a tied Grey Cup(or any game for that matter) with no time on the clock. The kicker misses by 6ft and it sails out of the endzone(over the head of the returner) and the team is awarded the single point and the victory. That is not a satisfying end to a football game.....or does anyone think other wise?

Can anyone answer to those 2 points specifically? So far nobody has.
Rookie

PreviousNext