CFL problems

Discussion of technique and strategy.

CFL problems

by Paulback22 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:46 pm

The CFL has the potential to be a great league but they are run by dinosaurs. The following problems need to be cleared up...
1) The referees are horrible--calls are; missed, inconsistent from game to game and it seems that most times it hurts them just to think. I want the job to be in charge and evaluate refs. I don't know if I can drink as much as the guy that does it now but I'll try.
2) I do not see the problem with punting out of bounds to play field position--it's called strategy. The CFL says it wants exciting return but then they let a team start at their 35 after a field goal. Why not let them start at their 20 or 25 if they are too lazy for an "exciting" return.
3) A point for a missed field goal. If I have to explain how rewarding failure seems idiotic......
4) No yards penalty. If the ball is caught in the air 15 yds but after bouncing around 5yds. Really if your punt returner cannot catch then lets let the defense down it and get on with the game as this isn't recess and these aren't 5 yr olds.
The CFL governing board is useless and should be replaced as they continue to screw things up.
WHEW!!!! I feel better.

My $0.02
Rookie

Re: CFL problems

by kav2001c » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm

1- Every league has periods like this (even the vaunted NFL). Id rather keep replays out of the league.
2- Strategy to kick out of bounds, strategy to defend against punt returns. To each thier own.
3- This I actually agree with, a single point off a kick is one thing, but a missed field goal getting anything is kind of odd
4- ???
Rookie

by sudbury_fan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:58 pm

3- rewarding a team for good enough field position to miss the field goal and get it out of bounds makes sense to me, but I was raised on the CFL.
Nothing is easy....
Starter

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:32 am

umm everything you stated other than the inconsistent refs i completely disagree with...especially the no yards rule...i agree there might be a better way to work this but to adopt the NFL style no thanks that is the most boring play in the game of football...they arent 5 year olds you claim but you want to see a player wave his arm in the air everytime it slightly looks like he might take a hit and run away and let the other team touch the ball for him...if that ever reaches the cfl i will never watch another football game again...
"caps lock = cruise control for cool" ~ Grims
Veteran

by FanWithoutATeam » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:52 am

Paulback22 wrote:The CFL has the potential to be a great league but they are run by dinosaurs. The following problems need to be cleared up...
2) ...The CFL says it wants exciting return but then they let a team start at their 35 after a field goal. Why not let them start at their 20 or 25 if they are too lazy for an "exciting" return.

One of the new rule changes to be implemented this year was to require a kickoff after every successful field goal. Before you deign to tell everyone how to make the league better it would be wise to ensure you know the actual rules.
All-Star

by Paulback22 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm

To Fanwithoutaclue..........I posted that last year when it wasn't a rule.

To Jak...........safeties any more exciting than a fair catch, if a pro-athlete cannot catch the ball in the air then lets move on and the single point for a miss? Really? Between the 5yds for a bouncing ball, no punting out of bounds and the single point really makes this league look bush.

Since we already agree on the refs
Rookie

by l3moning » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:53 pm

The single point is one of the quirks of the CFL that I like.
Rookie

by FanWithoutATeam » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Paulback22 wrote:To Fanwithoutaclue..........I posted that last year when it wasn't a rule.

To Jak...........safeties any more exciting than a fair catch, if a pro-athlete cannot catch the ball in the air then lets move on and the single point for a miss? Really? Between the 5yds for a bouncing ball, no punting out of bounds and the single point really makes this league look bush.

Since we already agree on the refs

You're absolutely right. My bad. :oops:
All-Star

by Jakob7 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 am

no it does not make this league look bush. the fair catch rule is dumb. id rather see a return or an attempt at a return. and single points are awards for failing? uggh not really. you marched the ball in scoring position and just miss so you get one point. that point is given because of the huge endzones. if the ball is kicked and missed in a close game...it forces the team to return it...resulting in a chance of worse field position. its not rewarding failure its charging a team for field position
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 am

Instead of missing the field goal and getting a pt...why not punt for the single? If you miss a field goal then you failed to meet your objective and should not get a consolation prize. At least if you are trying to punt through the endzone and make it you are accomplishing what you set out to do. (Nice arguments..."point given because of huge endzones" & the field position angle.....yeeeeeeeeesh----you are really reaching. If those were the real reasons the CFL would look even more bush)

If you look at my 4th point I am not advocating for the fair catch. It's when the ball hits the ground that it turns into recess ball. The punt returner should be good enough to catch it in the air, if not......then let the defense down it and move on. Once again you are not reading the posts you are responding to........maybe you are trying to on too many and should only concentrate on afew.

Wait a minute.......are you Tom Higgins? Because this would totally make sense then. Jakob7 = Tom Higgins.....wow!
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 pm

umm yeah im tom higgins? good deduction. im thankful that you are nowhere near the executive board for the CFL. your point about the returner being "good" enough to catch the ball in the air...so if the punter shanks it, the return team is not allowed to return it...your are trying mix the rules of both the NFL and the CFL and that sir, would be a bush league. and you think im reaching when talking about field position...have you ever played the game? there is a huge difference between maybe getting to your 5 yard line or with no effort getting it on the 35. you sacrifice field position for the point or vice versa...thats why its the same with a punt. if you watch closely next time you'll also notice there is a no yards on missed kicks as well. so there for once the kick is missed it has become a punt situation. so if the returner does not want to return it than you give up a point and take the field position ( this to clarify your reasoning for punting it instead) also on that note punting through the uprights does not give you 3 points. so your comment on just punting it through is kinda dumb...and would also prolly achieve the status of bush league in your words. your ideas at first were tolerable but not smart, now your trying to mask your lack of intelligence behind personal attacks on both of these threads, its ok i understand that you may not really get the game to the extent that other people do, im sorry but comming on here and trying to flex your internet muscle is really sad to say the least.
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm

I am not trying to mix rules, just put in the best rules. I also never said to punt "through" the uprights just the endzone.(do you read my posts?) It's no wonder that you think my ideas are out of left field and that's because you don't read carefully enough to understand what I am saying. My basic point on field goals is......giving a single point for a miss is rewarding a team for not achieving their goal so if you punted through the endzone you would achieve your goal.

Lastly........why do you say that I am flexing my "internet muscle" or infering that I am attacking you? We are having a discussion. Take it easy......nobody is attacking anyone.
Last edited by Chief on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Leave out the personal attacks
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:04 pm

your post has been edited for personal attacks...i cant beleive i would think your attacking me. your ideas are ridiculous i said why would you punt through the endzone....you punt there is no chance at 3 only one...therefore making punting the worst idea you have had thus far i cannot deal with you as you lack the common sense to see what you are saying is stupid...they have the best rules possible...you want this sport to turn out like the NHL? we invented this game and the rules have been tuned in over the 100 years its been around. the last thing we need to do is **** around with it. the single point adds strategy to the game. you want to see "your" rules which you think are the "best" rules than watch the nfl cause how you wish the game to go is frighteningly similar to those.
Veteran

by Paulback22 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:52 pm

I know if you punt there is no chance at 3 pts. Because you are TRYING for 1pt and in a field goal you should be TRYING for 3pts(only). I do not want the Grey Cup decided on a miss.

We should change some rules because it is called evolving. The strategy would be to have the coach decide what he is trying to do. We also share many rules with the NFL(which I would prefer the CFL not to become) and some are good ideas. The bad ideas we should leave in the NFL. Rewarding failure isn't a Canadian trait is it?
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:10 pm

the only fail is your ideas, its not evolving its copying, there isnt a rule in the game that i would have changed...this is canadian football, if you dont like it dont watch, if you do than shut your mouth and enjoy the game. you say we reward failure, but you want to reward a team for standing on the field watching the kick go wide by giving them prime field position. your a hypocrite and discussing this with you is quite frustrating as you are completely set in your ways and refuse to listen to others ideas.
Veteran

Next