Wishbone Formation.

Discussion of technique and strategy.

Wishbone Formation.

by sully223 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:27 pm

Ive played on a wishbone formation and it seems to work for high school so how come we never see it in the pros.
Rookie

RE: Wishbone Formation.

by Thryllin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:48 am

Explain this wishbone formation. I am trying to picture it but I don't know if I am picturing it backwards or if I have it even close.
All-Star

RE: Wishbone Formation.

by tempest25 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:40 pm

If I understand the wishbone formation correctlly. It is a running formation, exclusively. Which means the defence will know to play the run.
Practice Squad

Re: RE: Wishbone Formation.

by sanduskyohiobro » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:29 pm

tempest25 wrote:If I understand the wishbone formation correctlly. It is a running formation, exclusively. Which means the defence will know to play the run.
NEBRASKA USED TO RUN THE WISHBONE IF YOU HAVE A ATHLETIC QB ITS HARD TO STOP NOW MORE PEOPLE USE THE ZONE READ OFFENSE.....
Veteran

Re: Wishbone Formation.

by Massdestruction » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:08 pm

The wishbone is a power running offensive set used in the mid 20th century in American football, it was probably used in CFL as well, A typical series would have cross fakes and fb lead off tackle plays,( usually with a crack back block.) with the fullback dive on third down and short. there would also be play action passing from his set but primarily long fly or post routes by a 2 receiver package. IMHO this set on its own is obsolete in cfl but combined with other proven formations it can be effective !
All-Star

Re: RE: Wishbone Formation.

by jordan02 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 pm

Thryllin wrote:Explain this wishbone formation. I am trying to picture it but I don't know if I am picturing it backwards or if I have it even close.

the wishbone formation is basically just a regular formation but with 3 Running backs.

Here is a picture of what it would look like in american football (11 players).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... mation.PNG
All-Star

by Rids78 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:48 pm

The wishbone along with the single wing both showed up in the NFL this past year. When mixed in you can use any formation to success and with an athletic QB that can keep the defense on their toes I believe you could run a full wishbone set in the pros.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << warning this site contains country music
Starter

by hankypanky » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:03 pm

To me, you don't see it much because the standard defense is to have your corner absolutely level the QB when he comes around the corner. Don't forget that it's not roughing the passer because there was no pass so the QB is just another blocker so it's totally legal.

It's also a very time-consuming play to develop. It works well in highschool because you can use it to slow down a defensive line who keeps blowing past a weak o-lineman. You can maybe set up a couple of plays that look like a wishbone to keep them off guard.

We played against a team who only ran a wishbone (except for punting) and the QB was absolutely punished by our corners. The QB needed the blocking because we just plugged all the gaps with linebackers which sprung our d-line open to make a trainwreck. Mind you, the other guys weren't very good but by the end of the game it was almost hard to take the field because we were thumping them so badly.
Rookie

by Rids78 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:52 pm

You can pass out of a wishbone fairly simply. It's a quick read to the receivers while your three backs provide extra protection behind the line. Similar to a passing offense out of a double TE set. Quick hits, quick slants, and use the extra blockers to the advantage of the play.

If you only run an option offense out of the wishbone then I can see a QB getting rocked fairly often but Navy has run the option offense for years and has come back to success again with it.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << warning this site contains country music
Starter

by l3moning » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Rids78 wrote:You can pass out of a wishbone fairly simply. It's a quick read to the receivers while your three backs provide extra protection behind the line. Similar to a passing offense out of a double TE set. Quick hits, quick slants, and use the extra blockers to the advantage of the play.

If you only run an option offense out of the wishbone then I can see a QB getting rocked fairly often but Navy has run the option offense for years and has come back to success again with it.

Navy's offense is great to watch. I think a team with the right players could run that in the pros (in either NFL or CFL).
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 am

the wishbone isnt bad and not obsolete especially with the 12 man game... i think it can make for some exciting plays to be drawn up...another one i like is Floridas jumbo gun basically take the pro set gun...the one with a rb on either side of the qb for anyone who isnt grasping what im trying to depict lol i have trouble understanding myself someitmes lol :P and take the rbs switch them for fb/te move them half way up to the line and you have to jumbo gun...usefull for a team with an athletic qb...would be good for direct snaps and end arounds to go wiht the qb plays...could also be used in a sem wildcat with a RB taking the qb spot...either way alot of exciting and useful formations out there that i would love to see used in the pros...other than the odd wildcat...unless your watching the fins lol there is not trickery or special formations...you see single back offset I reg I shot gun and some empty formations...need some better sets...even the pro set is rare...and i think is good for taking the spotlight off your primary rb sometimes...another play i used in highschool...which was only 3 years ago to keep things in perspective LOL and the peewee team ive been coaching since i graded in 06...is one where the slot scrapes the line behind the qb while hes under center and instead of snapping the ball to the qb its a direct snap to the slot...could be interesting to see in a pro game...if i can teach 10, 11, and 12 year olds to both snap the ball effectively and to preform the play in the other senses i think some pros could come together and get somethign like this going...god i love the ncaa LOL
"caps lock = cruise control for cool" ~ Grims
Veteran

by l3moning » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Jakob7 wrote:is one where the slot scrapes the line behind the qb while hes under center and instead of snapping the ball to the qb its a direct snap to the slot.

So you snap the ball through the QB's legs to the Slot? Until last year that would have been a False Start in the NFL. I've used a similar play in a pickup game lol. In my version the QB (or wildcat RB) is in the shotgun, usually empty backfield, and the slot (Who can be the QB) goes in motion and takes the snap. The person behind the Center then either runs a fake play the other way or becomes the pitch man on an option.
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:19 pm

ya obviously we are playing cfl style rules but it was pretty effective...the one you mention is good too but not quite as secret as you would not expect the slot behind the qb to be able to take the snap I love the wildcat tho wish it would find a home here in the cfl...if ran correctly it can make for some big offensive plays
Veteran

by l3moning » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:49 am

Jakob7 wrote:the one you mention is good too but not quite as secret as you would not expect the slot behind the qb to be able to take the snap.

Yeah, it got blown up a couple of times when I ran it (ok, once it was against a defence containing the guy who helped me come up with it lol).
Rookie

by Jakob7 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:16 pm

HAHA but when it works it def works
Veteran